Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2014, 07:30 PM

10,755 posts, read 23,836,665 times

Advertisements

The author wrote this list for those itching to go somewhere new this year instead of the usual bucket list cities...

1- Cartegena, Columbia
2 - Santa Teresa, Costa Rica
3 - Pittsburgh, USA
4 - Mexico City
5 - Rwanda
6 - Myanmar
7 - Nassau, Bahamas
8 - Belgrade, Serbia
9 - Helsinki, Finland
10 - Berlin, Germany
11 - Houston, USA
12 - Cape Town
13 - Cuba
14 - Milford Sound, New Zealand
15 - Guangzhou, China

Top 15 Places to Go in 2015: Cuba, Helsinki, Cape Town - Condé Nast Traveler

I think what I find most intriguing is Myanmar. It hasn't been conquered by capitalism yet and I have no doubt architects and developers are drawing up a frenzy of activity planned for the area. Better get there now before its virgin landscape disappears. Cuba is a bit of a different story but nonetheless, it also has a lot of new infrastructure coming down the pike as well.

A few out of the box suggestions for US cities, Houston isn't much on the tourist circuit but its growing like a weed. Pittsburgh looks inviting, it's a window into America's past in a scenic setting. Nassau seems ordinary, one could definitely do better in other Caribbean islands. Guangzhou is rapidly making a name for itself as China's next big league city.

Milford Sound looks stunning, but New Zealand is a very long flight and it also looks very similar to the scenery in other parts of the Pacific Rim at that latitude like Chile and British Columbia. Cape Town doesn't really need any introduction, it's certainly on the world's radar.

Last edited by Champ le monstre du lac; 12-26-2014 at 07:51 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2014, 08:01 PM

3,282 posts, read 3,795,860 times
Great list! I am glad to see that Mexico City finally gets the credit it deserves.

Cartagena is a spectacular place.

I've heard great things about Guangzhou, China.

I would love to visit Helsinki and Belgrade.

Old 12-26-2014, 08:15 PM

2,918 posts, read 5,610,493 times
been to 7 of those places. nothing wrong with any of them, but i wouldn't go out of my way to travel to any of them.

Old 12-27-2014, 02:19 AM

10,646 posts, read 16,040,657 times
From the cities on the list i've only been to Cartagena.
I have visited Germany, USA, Mexico and Costa Rica but not the cities on the list.
I think i will visit Houston and Pittsburgh at one point on a road trip but not as my main destination, Berlin i will visit for sure.

Would really like to visit China, New Zealand and South Africa in the future,
Burma, Finland and Serbia as well but i don't know if time and money will be on my side.

Bahamas seem a bit bland/boring and expensive compared to the other islands in the region.

Not sure if i will ever make it to Rwanda and Cuba.

Old 12-27-2014, 03:17 AM

4,491 posts, read 6,347,329 times
Quite frankly, I can't quite understand how Guangzhou made the list. While it was nice/interesting to experience the mainland when I spent some months in Hong Kong, I wouldn't really say that it's a place worthy of a trip on its own.

Old 12-27-2014, 04:26 AM

15,102 posts, read 15,890,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy-040 View Post

Not sure if i will ever make it to Rwanda and Cuba.
Cuba is AWESOME!! Plus there are no Starbucks or McD's there just vintage American cars running with Lada engines among many other things...

Last edited by fusion2; 12-27-2014 at 04:35 AM..

Old 12-27-2014, 04:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert_SW_77 View Post

I think what I find most intriguing is Myanmar. It hasn't been conquered by capitalism yet and I have no doubt architects and developers are drawing up a frenzy of activity planned for the area. .
I'm sold on Myanman since I watched an episode about it on Bourdain's Parts Unknown!! If you haven't watched that episode - highly recommended!! I will never look at a Ferris Wheel the same way again -ever lol..

Old 12-27-2014, 04:46 AM

1,646 posts, read 3,489,409 times
I really want to visit Cuba, never done before due to lack of time and money.

Old 12-27-2014, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catbelle View Post
I really want to visit Cuba, never done before due to lack of time and money.
Its awesome and so much more than all inclusive beach resorts!

Old 12-27-2014, 03:44 PM

266 posts, read 674,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by viribusunitis View Post
Quite frankly, I can't quite understand how Guangzhou made the list. While it was nice/interesting to experience the mainland when I spent some months in Hong Kong, I wouldn't really say that it's a place worthy of a trip on its own.
Guangzhou was for a long time just a parody of Hong Kong, but tackier, dirtier and cheaper, despite it's long history and much larger size. The only real reason to visit was for it's food, the best Cantonese and dim sum in the world.

However it's smartened up considerably for the Asian Games, and even has a new city centre as of last year - one of the world's most impressive, lined with thousand foot tall eco-buildings and anchored with 1500ft -2000footers at the end. All the roads and public infrastructure are buried beneath a vast green parkway.

In short if you haven't visited (like really recently), it's changed ALOT. It's slowly coming into its own as the world's new largest city (Pearl River Delta).

??_???

Untitled by Vincent Yi Zhang, on Flickr

The pedestrianised colonial enclave of Shamian island:

Guangzhou - Shamian Island by Beschty, on Flickr

Guangzhou - Shamian Island by Beschty, on Flickr

The Red Lantern's Wall by -Oby- (Thanks 50k for your visits) , on Flickr

http://s969.photobucket.com/user/Lha...?sort=3&page=1

Despite the newness it still has the grit and urban spectacle of a Cantonese metropolis

Guangzhou - small alley near Shamian Island by Beschty, on Flickr

Guangzhou - small alley by Beschty, on Flickr

Guangzhou - Spider :S by Beschty, on Flickr

#

more pics:

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showth...368839&page=15

Last edited by smool; 12-27-2014 at 04:04 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World