Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-06-2010, 07:51 PM

19,567 posts, read 21,873,039 times

Advertisements

My dream would be a yacht,50+ feet in length.

and the $$$ to support ourselves...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2010, 08:51 PM

773 posts, read 1,940,152 times
I know a guy who has one, but then he and his wife just live there, it is not sea worthy and they don't have the money to just go, so, one out of three is not enough (

Old 02-06-2010, 09:05 PM

19,567 posts, read 21,873,039 times
I lived on one when young....sister and friends sailed it across the Atlantic from Gibraltar.

Old 02-07-2010, 04:14 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,027,833 times
I know a guy who lives on a boat here in town. It works for him, he even has the occasional house (um, boat)guest. It is actually sea-worthy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by msta999 View Post
New Zealand has some real pretty country and it is still growing, could have lots of opportunity there....
We had friends (she is a Kiwi, he is American) who moved to New Zealand many years ago, when their oldest was a baby, but they came back to the States--they didn't like the schools, NZ just felt too provincial to them.
After a stint in Colorado, ended up in Pennsylvania for good.
OTOH, an old friend of mine had a brother who moved to Melbourne in Oz back in the '70's, and he ended up settling, marrying, and raising a family there, he even has a bit of an accent.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExNooYawk View Post
The DH and I plan to visit Europe in the Fall and are thinking about doing some house hunting in France. Our youngest is heading off to college and we will be retired, footloose and fancy free! I'd like to experience living in Europe and traveling around while there. DH is a Brit so we shouldn't have too much trouble settling in somewhere.

We'll probably wind up back in the US someday because our three girls (and one grandson!) are here. I'm up for an adventure while experiencing a different way of life.
What an opportunity! Do either of you speak another language?
Have you looked at Toulouse? If people know it at all, it is as the home of Airbus, but it is a beautiful and ancient university town with excellent transportation and cultural opportunities. (If nothing else, it makes for an enjoyable visit, this pink brick city, at the juncture of river and canal, is lovely.)

I have the opposite situation from you, one of my kids lives in Paris, and we can't retire for a lo-ong time.

We love the water. If we ever are able to retire, spending part of the time traversing the smaller, local waterways might be a pleasant way to sight-see and meet people.

I hear a lot about Central and South America these days. If a person speaks another language and has the persistence to work the system, maybe he/she can get a visa to Argentina and other places.

Old 02-08-2010, 07:14 AM

8 posts, read 15,594 times
Nice, french Riviera of Aix en Provence not to mention France has been elected "Country with the Best Quality of Life"

Food, Wine, scenery, culture, things to do and close to Italy, just Paradise

Well...I an French so I hope my advice counts LOL

[url=http://www.internationalliving.com/Internal-Components/Further-Resources/qofl2009]2009 Quality of Life Index[/url]

Old 02-09-2010, 08:32 PM

5,002 posts, read 12,362,151 times
I don't want to leave the US ...

But if not there, I'd go to Canada because the culture is similar, standard of living is similar, and I like snow, and I know many Canadians. There's a really good friend of mine who I haven't seen in ages who lives in Edmonton.

So, OK, Canada is copping out a bit. If not there, there's three places I'd like to live: Japan, Spain, and Ireland.

Japan because my wife is from there and it'd be easiest for her to "adjust" . I also like how interesting Japan is (not just Tokyo).

Spain because I visited there when I was 13 and stayed for a month. I LOVE the culture and the way of life.

Ireland because that's where the majority of my ethnic roots are from.

Old 02-09-2010, 11:01 PM

202 posts, read 568,297 times
I don't know how it is now, but when I was in Japan 20 yrs ago the people were extremely nice, but at the same time weren't too keen on gaijin actually living there. I heard from a few guys that had gotten married that they had to put up with a certain level of harrassment from the government. It might be better now, though.

Old 02-11-2010, 08:56 PM

739 posts, read 1,848,598 times
BlueWillowPlate, thanks for the tip. Sounds like a lovely place for us to check out.

Old 02-11-2010, 10:20 PM

2 posts, read 3,178 times
I want to finish grad school in Europe and initially I thought the UK but now I think I would rather live in the Netherlands, Nijmegen to be exact.

Old 02-11-2010, 11:51 PM

1,049 posts, read 1,606,789 times
I want to do my graduate work in London england, Australia, or NZ. All easy enough to live in because there's almost no language barrier. I also enjoy the beach which 2/3 of these have (although i'm sure there's solid beaches in the UK) I've also always wanted to live in a major south american city, but I have to brush up on my spanish a bit before I do that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World