Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city has more international recognition?
Miami 77 40.31%
Chicago 114 59.69%
Voters: 191. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2015, 11:23 PM

83 posts, read 99,759 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by steeps View Post
I like these pictures because it showcases Chicago's Shoreline and Skyline as if on a Ocean. Some people in the beach picture that day didn't like me taking the picture LOL and it's not South Beach catering to the wealthy and elite crowd? They are for Chicago's masses. Though those on the Yachts couldn't be too poor.
Beautiful pictures.

That's true, it is VERY hard to distinguish Miami from any other tropical beach area.

Chicago on the other hand has a lot of landmarks that are world-famous, an example would be this,

Click image for larger version

Name:	Chicago skyline.jpg
Views:	3603
Size:	143.4 KB
ID:	145465

this

Name:	The Bean.jpg
Views:	291
Size:	81.6 KB
ID:	145464

and this

Name:	Crown-Fountain.jpg
Views:	310
Size:	1.58 MB
ID:	145466

and many other things

Old 02-27-2015, 01:54 AM

1,675 posts, read 2,840,285 times
are we still arguing about this?

I already POSTED STATISTICS of international traveling into the US

Miami is after NYC the second most visited city while chicago is not even among the top five!!!

GET OVER IT HONEY

Old 02-27-2015, 02:30 AM

2,535 posts, read 3,281,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irene-cd View Post
are we still arguing about this?

I already POSTED STATISTICS of international traveling into the US

Miami is after NYC the second most visited city while chicago is not even among the top five!!!

GET OVER IT HONEY
Respect others opinions and we do not call each other Honey. Male of Female is irreverent for topics as this and reserve HONEY for people in your personal world. Renown .....means more then mere recognition. That is why further details and discussion comes in.
Maybe ... it is you, that should get over the Poll numbers?

Old 02-27-2015, 02:34 AM

I am an adorable loving person so I call everyone honey, honey!!

and it's not about different opinions....

it's about FACTS

and you can prove facts, so I showed official statistics of arrival of international travelers into the US and they show that after NYC, miami is the most visited city in the US, while Chicago is nowhere to be found among the top five most visited cities.... which answers the question (which one is more famous around the world, miami or chicago?)

its obvious the answer is miami!

Old 02-27-2015, 07:35 AM

1,699 posts, read 2,153,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastphilly View Post
A question about Florida. Lets say your driving down the east coast of Florida. At what point going south does the climate/vibe begin to change to a more tropical atmosphere? Daytona Beach? Palm Beach?
The change is very very gradual, however if by tropical you mean coconut palms, those start to appear in WPB. I never been to Daytona Beach, but it's so far north, I doubt it has palm trees.

But Miami is not really tropical to me, despite being officially classified as a tropical climate by Koppen. This winter we had 3 days that stayed in the 60s, and had overnight lows in the 40s. Maybe Chicago posters will snicker at me but that's cold, and I don't think any true tropical place can have that kind of weather even 3 days at a time (it was a unusually cold this year). But a truly tropical place like the Philippines won't have this weather, you have to remember we're at the same latitude as Taipei but 10F warmer in the winter. We have the same climate as the northern Bahamas and Havana, but again I wouldn't call these truly tropical either.

Now it's in the 80s, and humid, has been for a long time and will be for the foreseeable future. Feels like a Chicago summer in February.

Quote:
As for Chicago. I have been there three times in the last few years. The Loop is impressive. I go there for train spotting. If your into trains Chicago can't be beat. It's a railfan's dream and the food is exquisite. You can't leave Chicago without trying a Giordano's Deep Dish style pizza. Yummy
Don't care for Chicago deep dish very much, every time I go I take a new recommendation and never really like it.

Best food I had in Chicago was ethnic. I had this amazing dish at some Pakistani restaurant on Ramadan in Indian village. I was with some colleagues who were from Hyderabad, they ordered the Biryani and were less impressed. I forgot the name of the thing I ordered or the restaurant I ordered it in.

I also drove through Chicago a bazillion times, and would stop for lunch. I had amazing Mexican (Coming from California this really surprised me) and Vietnamese food. In some suburbs, so if suburbs have good food, then you can bet Chicago is overloaded with it.

Old 02-27-2015, 09:25 AM

2,033 posts, read 1,984,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irene-cd View Post
I am an adorable loving person so I call everyone honey, honey!!

and it's not about different opinions....

it's about FACTS

and you can prove facts, so I showed official statistics of arrival of international travelers into the US and they show that after NYC, miami is the most visited city in the US, while Chicago is nowhere to be found among the top five most visited cities.... which answers the question (which one is more famous around the world, miami or chicago?)

its obvious the answer is miami!
Your statistics of using international arrivals as a point of international recognition are flawed.

Miami is one of those cities that are a stones throw away from multiple resort islands that have home based airlines that aren't capable of global expansion. There only option of US point of entry is Miami.

So because of this Miami has more notoriety/recognition on the international stage than say Los Angeles or San Francisco? Those cities are far more isolated from over water flights (minimum trans ocean flights are 10-11 hours depending on direction. Would San Francisco have more notoriety on the World stage compared to Los Angeles if there was a clump of foreign island resorts just a few hundred miles off the coast? I highly doubt it.

It takes more than a bunch of island resort short hop flights ( which makes up a significant percentage of Miami's international passenger numbers) to prove your point of being only second to New York for international recognition. LA and SF may have something to say about that.

As for Chicago, yes the brand Miami has is a better sell image wise to the international community.

Last edited by Fastphilly; 02-27-2015 at 09:38 AM..

Old 02-27-2015, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDPMiami View Post
The change is very very gradual, however if by tropical you mean coconut palms, those start to appear in WPB. I never been to Daytona Beach, but it's so far north, I doubt it has palm trees.

But Miami is not really tropical to me, despite being officially classified as a tropical climate by Koppen. This winter we had 3 days that stayed in the 60s, and had overnight lows in the 40s. Maybe Chicago posters will snicker at me but that's cold, and I don't think any true tropical place can have that kind of weather even 3 days at a time (it was a unusually cold this year). But a truly tropical place like the Philippines won't have this weather, you have to remember we're at the same latitude as Taipei but 10F warmer in the winter. We have the same climate as the northern Bahamas and Havana, but again I wouldn't call these truly tropical either.

Now it's in the 80s, and humid, has been for a long time and will be for the foreseeable future. Feels like a Chicago summer in February.

Don't care for Chicago deep dish very much, every time I go I take a new recommendation and never really like it.

Best food I had in Chicago was ethnic. I had this amazing dish at some Pakistani restaurant on Ramadan in Indian village. I was with some colleagues who were from Hyderabad, they ordered the Biryani and were less impressed. I forgot the name of the thing I ordered or the restaurant I ordered it in.

I also drove through Chicago a bazillion times, and would stop for lunch. I had amazing Mexican (Coming from California this really surprised me) and Vietnamese food. In some suburbs, so if suburbs have good food, then you can bet Chicago is overloaded with it.
I agree. Miami is actually located in the subtropical zone. It's still by far the most tropical feeling city that we have in the Continental United States by far.

Old 02-27-2015, 09:35 AM

NYc
Miami
LA

Old 02-27-2015, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irene-cd View Post
nyc
miami
la
ny
la
sf
mia

Old 02-27-2015, 09:56 AM

1,699 posts, read 2,153,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastphilly View Post
ny
la
sf
mia
It's debatable with SF. I imagine SF is known much more in Asia, but in Europe and Latin America Miami is better known.

LA I agree is above Miami.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World