Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-07-2015, 12:40 PM

1 posts, read 621 times

Advertisements

I know these questions have been posted before, but I would really like some help with my specific situation.

About me: American citizen, single white man in early 40's, no kids, one small dog. I have an bachelors degree in Geography with 15 years experience working in GIS in 5 different industries. I am an experienced GIS Technician / Analyst, not a developer / programmer. I have tried to learn how to code many times and it is not for me.

I am open to any country, somewhere I could drive to like Costa Rica or Belize would be easier. I do not want to teach English abroad. I speak some Spanish and can become fairly fluent after living in a proper Spanish speaking country (like Mexico) for a few months. I lived and worked in Puerto Rico for one year and could not learn the fast butchered style of Spanish they spoke there.
Berlin, Germany sounds like it would be perfect from all I have researched, aside from not being able to drive there. There are job sites listing GIS jobs in many European countries including Germany. Applied online to many of them with no responses.

What are the easiest countries to immigrate to from the USA with my background?
Which countries would allow me to live and work there without strict visa requirements?
How does one at least get a response (preferably a phone interview) after applying to foreign GIS jobs online? I have hired resume writers a few times but still not getting any responses.

I tried to make sense of the Canadian immigration / work visa web site; it is a remarkably confusing obstacle course that appears designed to discourage people from living / working there. Over the years I applied to many GIS jobs in Canada and received no responses. A Canadian GIS resume writer told me this is due to Canadian citizens being given first picks of all the jobs.

Thanks in advance for any information and suggestions.

Sirgeo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World