Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-04-2015, 09:56 PM

3 posts, read 2,866 times

Advertisements

Hello everybody!
My friend and I are 19 years old brazilians and we are planning on immigrating somewhere. Our objective is to work and study for around two years, later move to the US (for personal reasons) and then enter college. For now we have around 20.000,00 reais (right now the price of the dollar is a bit high, it would be around 6.500USD).
What are your suggestions?? Any advice is accepted.

(Also, forgive any spelling mistakes)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2015, 05:42 AM

659 posts, read 941,467 times
I don't understand why everyone is so America-obsessed. As an American myself, I preferred it if my family had immigrated to Canada instead of USA. Any way on $6,500 USD, it'd be better to travel and work throughout South East Asia.

Old 04-05-2015, 07:04 AM

42,554 posts, read 87,063,390 times
Do you mean you want to go through the formal process of immigration, with the intent of living in a new country permanently? Of to just immigrate temporarily in order to have a working adventure for a while?

In Southeast Asia, it is easy to remain for many years, because the countries are small and you can take a bus to the border and re-enter each time your tourist visa expires. But it is illegal (in almost every country) to earn any money by working while you are there.

There are several "work-away" websites where you can make arrangements to visit a family or organization in another country, and receive housing and meals in exchange for a few hours of work. Some offer long-term, or open-ended, stays. There is probably already a Brazilian network to simplify that process.

Have you considered a Potuguese-speaking country in Africa? I think you can earn very high wages in Angola, if you have a good education.

Right now is a very bad time to be trying to live in the USA on a foreign-currency budget, your reales are worth practically nothing at current rates of exchange, and America will eat your money very quickly..

Old 04-05-2015, 09:38 AM

2,974 posts, read 2,819,022 times
You could try working as au pairs, this emans you could be hosted by a family living in another country in exchange of part-time work, you also receive a basic pay which varies from country to country. I you want to know more about it read this wikipedia article: http://http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Au_pair

Why do you want to study in the USA? Is it because you have relatives there? I don't think it's currently amongst the best places to emigrate to, maybe you should try some Western European countries (Netherlands, UK, Germany, Ireland, Austria and Belgium), Australia or Canada, especially when it comes to studying because American universities often charge high tuition fees, whether in the aforementioned countries you will get a similar education while spending a lower amount of money.

Old 04-05-2015, 10:26 AM

3 posts, read 2,866 times
Do you mean you want to go through the formal process of immigration, with the intent of living in a new country permanently? Of to just immigrate temporarily in order to have a working adventure for a while?
How hard is it to get a permanent stay in places like Canada, for example? I'd prefer that because time is not certain for us, you know?
We're looking for a first world country where we can atleast get some money to buy equipment (I'm an artist, animator and voice actor), learn how things work living together somewhere new and study (not college).

Have you considered a Potuguese-speaking country in Africa? I think you can earn very high wages in Angola, if you have a good education.
I want to be AS FAR as possible from somewhere that speaks portuguese. I hate that language.

Right now is a very bad time to be trying to live in the USA on a foreign-currency budget, your reales are worth practically nothing at current rates of exchange, and America will eat your money very quickly..
We're not rushing to the US right away and it's not even a "must". The reason behind this decision is because we're looking to enter the gaming market and Los Angeles is one of the biggest out there (not to mention number of events).
What we want the most right now is to immigrate to Canada (Ontario or BC). If we could get a permanent stay, that would be the best because Montreal is also one of the biggest places for gaming in the world!

Why do you want to study in the USA? Is it because you have relatives there? I don't think it's currently amongst the best places to emigrate to, maybe you should try some Western European countries (Netherlands, UK, Germany, Ireland, Austria and Belgium), Australia or Canada, especially when it comes to studying because American universities often charge high tuition fees, whether in the aforementioned countries you will get a similar education while spending a lower amount of money.
You just mentioned every place we considered moving to. I personally don't like the US and the only reason behind the IDEA (it's still just an idea) is really not enough for me. Since the begginning, Canada was the best option that came through my head. Not to mention that, in canadian dollars, we would have a little more money even tho we should have a lot more if the prices hadn't went crazy high recently.

Just another question to follow all this: Would it help earning money if there were more people with us? (My friend, I and someone else) Like, this extra person would come with us with more money with them (making a total of 25.000 reais more or less) and we would work together to raise funds. Would it be worth it?

Well, thanks everybody in advance for all the help and, once again, sorry for any spelling mistakes.

Old 04-05-2015, 05:23 PM

4,865 posts, read 10,536,606 times
Check out our immigration website! I know our government has changed alot of its immigration policies very recently so I won't give any advice as it's probably all out of date by now. Just give it a read and see if you qualify to come here under any federal or provincial program. Do you speak any French or just English? Quebec can be a little more lenient on prospective immigrants if you have proficiency in French since there is less competition from other solid applicants who speak that language then speak English. Boa sorte!

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/

Old 04-05-2015, 06:03 PM

213 posts, read 298,655 times
Brazilians? with U$ 6500? wtf.... Maybe Argentina or Chile. Spanish language not first world, but with U$ 6500 its okay... which state in Brazil?

Old 04-05-2015, 07:26 PM

194 posts, read 423,581 times
Check if you meet the conditions for immigrating in Canada. I am wondering about the points for education / age experience. At 19 I think you will not get too many points. In any event the process of immigrating to Canada takes a couple of years and you will need more money than $6,500 for two.
You can allways try to apply directly to the Canadian provinces (Manitoba, Saskatchewan). Sometimes it is faster and less restrictive than applying to the federal. Check the forums on line to see which is better. Once you are here you have to stay in the province for a while than you move to Ontario, BC or Montreal.

Old 04-09-2015, 04:00 PM

2,516 posts, read 5,692,239 times
If you're smart, you'll go to college before coming to the US. The education system here is designed to make the rich richer. Nothing like taking a low paying job right of college to start paying on a $200,000 student loan debt at a rate of 8%.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World