Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would the world be better or worse if all people spoke the same language?
Better 19 26.03%
Worse 54 73.97%
Voters: 73. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2015, 10:02 AM

42,554 posts, read 87,014,195 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
Nonesense. Ebonics is a made up term by some people in Oakland, California in the mid 90's. Ebonics is little more than Southern American English with Black American idiosyncrasies.
Exactly. Which is precisely how every one of the world's diverse languages began their evolution. Using pre-existing words in a pre-existing language, to meet the needs of a culture that has different linguistic needs to describe phenomena unique to or emphasized within their culture.

Last edited by jtur88; 05-04-2015 at 10:15 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2015, 10:23 AM

1,373 posts, read 1,444,163 times
This question make me think about the process that is going on here and in a lot of other countries, in which the national language is replacing the dialects and the regional languages. What I'm noticing is that all the histories, songs, proverbs, literature and a lot of other aspect of traditions and culture are rapidly disappearing together with the speaker of those minor languages. Most of times they aren't translated in the new language, but they are just forgotten and replaced.

In my opinion the same would happen if we tried to use an only world language for everyone. So all the other languages would become death languages whose culture, traditions, literature and so on would be studied only by a few academics. I don't know how this vision sounds to you, but for me it sounds really sad.

Old 05-04-2015, 10:39 AM

26,883 posts, read 38,053,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urania93 View Post
This question make me think about the process that is going on here and in a lot of other countries, in which the national language is replacing the dialects and the regional languages. What I'm noticing is that all the histories, songs, proverbs, literature and a lot of other aspect of traditions and culture are rapidly disappearing together with the speaker of those minor languages. Most of times they aren't translated in the new language, but they are just forgotten and replaced.

In my opinion the same would happen if we tried to use an only world language for everyone. So all the other languages would become death languages whose culture, traditions, literature and so on would be studied only by a few academics. I don't know how this vision sounds to you, but for me it sounds really sad.
Your post made me think of the grand Occitan writer Frédéric Mistral, who won a Nobel prize for literature barely 100 years ago, and also the entire corpus of Irish-language literature that is totally overshadowed (some would say forgotten) by the country's more recent generation of great writers that wrote in English after the period of great assimilation.

Old 05-04-2015, 10:43 AM

62 posts, read 88,061 times
Worse, plurilinguism is good for the brain and vs the Alzheimer disease.

Old 05-04-2015, 01:37 PM

10,839 posts, read 14,732,757 times
While I don't support a single language, too many languages are not a good thing in practice. For example, do you really want every US state to have its own language that is not intelligible from one another?

Countries that implement one standard language because they have to. It doesn't have to mean the death of local dialects.

Old 05-04-2015, 01:43 PM

1,250 posts, read 1,489,674 times
Better.

Especially if it was English

Old 05-04-2015, 02:22 PM

10,839 posts, read 14,732,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruhms View Post
Better.

Especially if it was English
How does it matter which language it is, English or Icelandic or Thai, since everyone speaks the same language? You would be speaking that particular language already anyway.

Old 05-04-2015, 02:32 PM

1,600 posts, read 1,890,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Your post made me think of the grand Occitan writer Frédéric Mistral, who won a Nobel prize for literature barely 100 years ago, and also the entire corpus of Irish-language literature that is totally overshadowed (some would say forgotten) by the country's more recent generation of great writers that wrote in English after the period of great assimilation.
The Irish abandon of their language is deplorable, at best.
Forsaking a language means to lose your inner identity, it's a shame.

Old 05-04-2015, 02:35 PM

26,883 posts, read 38,053,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xander.XVII View Post
The Irish abandon of their language is deplorable, at best.
Forsaking a language means to lose your inner identity, it's a shame.
I don't believe the Irish abandoned it completely willingly.

Old 05-04-2015, 02:42 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,510,505 times
i don't understand why it would be boring?

it's fun communicating with other people, if it was simple to communicate with everybody in the world that would be awesome
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World