Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2015, 12:02 AM

8,865 posts, read 8,448,789 times

Advertisements

It's conservative even in the largest cities here rofl.
But it's way worse in th countryside, like full hillbilly mode lol. #yuck
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2015, 12:13 AM

1,225 posts, read 1,405,638 times
Without a doubt! I was just thinking about this earlier..

Currently I'm in a pretty small town, and the people around here (especially the older crowd) are very conservative. No gays allowed, interracial relationships are still something to shush about, and on and on. Very conservative group here..

Not like it is in larger metro cities.

Old 06-17-2015, 10:12 AM

722 posts, read 1,329,100 times
I never liked the small town country mentality, the people act kind of weird when a stranger comes into town, almost like back in the old west

they want to know who you are and what your doing here? some of them are very backwards, unfriendly, racist to anybody who isnt like them

the kind of town with a Sheriff & deputies that are corrupt and run the town and make the rules

if they dont know you or dont like your kind they may even try to run you out of town on a two by four

very similar to a old movie called: BAD DAY at BLACK ROCK starring Spencer Tracy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9gX2pK1mioU

Old 06-17-2015, 10:55 PM

244 posts, read 362,287 times
I think in most places in the world they are likely more conservative. Rural areas have less reason for progression, and there aren't as many intellectuals there to stimulate ideas of change.

I feel like the UK might be close to an exception. I feel like Scotland which is more rural than England is seen as more liberal. I have no idea how the small towns in those regions compare though.

As for New York, I think even outside of NYC (the city) people are pretty liberal. Over here, a lot of the conservatives are police and firefighters. Most people I know who lived in small towns in New York went to college there, which naturally has liberal communities, so I don't know what the locals think (from asking my friends, they say that they are very conservative relative to those in the city).

http://www.politico.com/2012-electio...dent/new-york/

Old 06-18-2015, 01:28 AM

1,071 posts, read 1,260,269 times
I think it also has a lot to do with which religion dominates the area. At least where I live. The people here are mostly Catholics and they're usually a bit more liberal compared to Protestants or Reformed Church.
My area is like 99% white but I never heard of racism towards the few blacks that live here. A black family owns a shop in town here and they do really good business. Everybody loves their shop and just a few weeks ago they even moved to a bigger building. There's also a lesbian couple living on a horse farm near my house and I also never heard of any negativity towards them. They just blend in and nobody bothers.

But in the dominated Reformed areas its a completely different story. People are not very accepting there, to say the least..... I know a woman that comes from such an area, and she had her house spray painted with words like wh*re and sl*t because of the type of clothes she wears (a bit too sexy in their opinion)

Old 06-18-2015, 07:06 AM

3,989 posts, read 6,795,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cattledog69 View Post
I think it also has a lot to do with which religion dominates the area. At least where I live. The people here are mostly Catholics and they're usually a bit more liberal compared to Protestants or Reformed Church.
My area is like 99% white but I never heard of racism towards the few blacks that live here. A black family owns a shop in town here and they do really good business. Everybody loves their shop and just a few weeks ago they even moved to a bigger building. There's also a lesbian couple living on a horse farm near my house and I also never heard of any negativity towards them. They just blend in and nobody bothers.

But in the dominated Reformed areas its a completely different story. People are not very accepting there, to say the least..... I know a woman that comes from such an area, and she had her house spray painted with words like wh*re and sl*t because of the type of clothes she wears (a bit too sexy in their opinion)

I agree with you that, "contrary to popular belief", Catholic areas are a bit less conservative than Protestant areas... At least in the 21st century things are that way...

Old 06-18-2015, 09:26 AM

24,128 posts, read 24,813,132 times
No Catholic areas here, so can't say. But, the Ostrobothnia and Lapland Regions are the most religious in Finland, and those are also the most conservative. Then again, Northern Karelia has the reputation of being conservative, but Southern Karelia liberal.

Old 06-18-2015, 10:17 AM

520 posts, read 532,433 times
I like small towns probably because they are conservative. Visiting the bakken, I was at a lot of small towns in North Dakota and Montana and loved it to death. Id live there in a minute.

Old 11-04-2020, 03:34 PM

3,989 posts, read 6,795,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G0DDESS View Post
Without a doubt! I was just thinking about this earlier..

Currently I'm in a pretty small town, and the people around here (especially the older crowd) are very conservative. No gays allowed, interracial relationships are still something to shush about, and on and on. Very conservative group here..

Not like it is in larger metro cities.
I wonder why things are that way

Old 11-04-2020, 04:25 PM

5,428 posts, read 3,498,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MalaMan View Post
I wonder why things are that way
I can’t speak on that person’s behalf, but it’s likely that elderly people who grew up in rural areas don’t tend to mingle much with outside folk. There’s also a stigma attached against being gay, as it ultimately cuts down the family tree. Most want to see their children have kids of their own.
Those are just broads strokes though. Ultimately, it depends on the country, region and personal upbringing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World