Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-25-2015, 10:19 AM

338 posts, read 335,602 times

Advertisements

Not a question but once when I was in the Frankfurt airport I asked the help desk for info on where to get something to eat and drink and the lady pointed out a mcdonalds nearby. It was an akward 1.54692145 seconds of staring before I backed away....then I found a place to get a beer and some dumplings.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2015, 10:27 AM

26,883 posts, read 38,101,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
In my experience the only people I've ever met that thinks Canada is governed by or a part of the UK have been Americans.
I've never met anyone from Asia, Europe, South America or Mexico that has thought that. I'm sure they exist, but I certainly don't get the impression it's an issue.
I've had more than a few people from abroad who were totally dumbfounded when they saw Canadian money for the first time and noticed that Queen Elizabeth was on it. The reaction is usually like: "WTF is she doing on your money?" I am not sure if that this leads them to think Canada is governed from London UK but obviously the idea that there is still some type of umbilical cord there registers for most of them.

Not that this is a big deal. But if Canadians really don't like (a goodly number of) people abroad having that impression about their country, then they know what they have to do.

Last edited by Acajack; 08-25-2015 at 11:09 AM..

Old 08-25-2015, 11:06 AM

6,820 posts, read 6,073,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
To be fair if he was English then I'm guessing his grasp of the US geography would be similar to an average Americans grasp of UK geography, ie would an American know where and how big Shropshire is? Probably not but there again its not really surprising.
But states in the U.S. are as big as countries in Europe.

Old 08-25-2015, 11:42 AM

185 posts, read 259,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy-040 View Post
80% of Cocaine worldwide comes from Colombia.
Peru is the main producer of cocaine these days

Peru: the New King of Cocaine | World Policy Institute

Peru overtakes Colombia as world's largest coca producer - Americas - World - The Independent

One time, a guy from one of those caribbean islands told me that I should be ashamed to be colombian, how can I sleep at night with my people poisoning millions around the world.

I was so mad and sad.... it's like blaming modern dutch for the colonization of indonesia and its brutality or blaming american average people for the war in iraq

the average colombian has nothing to do with that.... its powerful rich drug dealers from MANY different countries trading with it, even politicians

average colombian people has never seen cocaine even!

Old 08-25-2015, 11:57 AM

24,128 posts, read 24,847,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ulta View Post
average colombian people has never seen cocaine even!
Are you sure? As it so cheap, and so readily available, probably quite a big a percentage has tried it. And don't kid me, the drug cartels operate in your city at this very moment.

Old 08-25-2015, 12:07 PM

1,600 posts, read 1,892,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iAMtheVVALRUS View Post
But states in the U.S. are as big as countries in Europe.
Yes, but there are more differences between the city 100km southwards from my home than between NY and LA in terms of culture, language,traditions, food etc.

Old 08-25-2015, 12:51 PM

4,664 posts, read 8,247,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xander.XVII View Post
Yes, but there are more differences between the city 100km southwards from my home than between NY and LA in terms of culture, language,traditions, food etc.

Nonsense

Old 08-25-2015, 01:13 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,529,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mag3.14 View Post
Nonsense
Probably true actually, USA is pretty homogenous... idk what its like in Italy but there's no way it can be more homogenous than the USA

Old 08-25-2015, 01:14 PM

185 posts, read 259,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
Are you sure? As it so cheap, and so readily available, probably quite a big a percentage has tried it. And don't kid me, the drug cartels operate in your city at this very moment.
you're really naive if you think the average colombian has tried cocaine

drug consumption is a huge problem in europe, not colombia!!!

we have campaigns and people have had to endure a bloody war because of drug trafficking.... we ****ing hate that powder europeans love so much!

Colombia is 4 times the size of finland, with a gigantic jungle larger than finland that is almost entirely empty.... that is where cocaine is produced.

people live in big cities towards the coast

Old 08-25-2015, 01:46 PM

26,883 posts, read 38,101,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ulta View Post
you're really naive if you think the average colombian has tried cocaine

drug consumption is a huge problem in europe, not colombia!!!

we have campaigns and people have had to endure a bloody war because of drug trafficking.... we ****ing hate that powder europeans love so much!

Colombia is 4 times the size of finland, with a gigantic jungle larger than finland that is almost entirely empty.... that is where cocaine is produced.

people live in big cities towards the coast
I can definitely understand that Colombians have been traumatized by cocaine and that many hate it and stay away from it, but your statement about most Colombians never having seen it is still very hard to believe...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World