Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2015, 11:42 AM

26,790 posts, read 22,556,454 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mini-apple-less View Post
Those countries aren't "least developed", but they're still "third world" in the sense they aren't part of the "First" or "Developed" world. The only part of Asia I'd consider First World is Japan, even Singapore has a lot of hidden poverty and repressive laws.
The problem is, you are painting with a wide brush what "third world countries" are.
Even if you google the images of what "poverty in China" is,

https://www.google.com/search?q=Pove...w=1024&bih=631

Or poverty in Brazil,

https://www.google.com/search?q=Pove...w=1024&bih=631

Or "poverty in Russia,"

https://www.google.com/search?q=Pove...ih=631#imgrc=_

you'll understand why your initial question doesn't make much sense.

(When I started checking pics on "poverty in Russia," a lot of them turned out irrelevant, so it's probably something more like this;

https://www.google.com/search?q=%D0%...w=1024&bih=631

https://www.google.com/search?q=%D0%...w=1024&bih=631

But the same might be said about those images of poverty in China or Brazil - they might be outdated. So if someone can post more relevant/contemporary pictures, please do, so that the OP would have a better idea while asking her/his questions. Because then obviously, judging by the situation in these societies one can have a better understanding whether the life of a poor/homeless American can be "better" than life of an "average citizen" in those countries.

Last edited by erasure; 09-20-2015 at 12:11 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2015, 12:27 PM

2,563 posts, read 3,684,215 times
It depends on what you mean by "well off."

On the happiness scale, I'd say the average Third World person is probably just as happy as the average middle class US citizen. Perhaps more so. They likely have more personal freedoms and likely pay less tax. The usually eat freshly grown food that's actually healthy, not some garbage produced in the US by Food Inc. In short, don't feel too sorry for them. Many of them probably wouldn't trade places with you.

Old 09-20-2015, 04:52 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,992,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosa surf View Post

Extreme poverty(pretty common in many 3rd world countries) is on a whole other realm. Social stigma vs starving and having illnesses due to dirty drinking water- what do you consider better?
Those people are not the "average third worlders". Throughout the third world, the numbed of people living in life-threatening poverty varies, but there are few if any countries, or even regions within any countries, where those kind of conditions would qualify as "average". It would certainly not be "prettry common" in any but the worst half dozen. You have to get pretty far off the beaten track to find one.

There are 187 countries on the GDP list, This year, I visited the countries ranked 113 (Armenia), 130 (Moldova) and 143 (Kyrgyzstan), which I presume would quality as third world. I traveled through rural areas in all three, and passed through the suburbs of the cities, and I'd be hard pressed to figure out where to go in order to look for people at risk from poverty. Even shopping in the open street bazaars, I certainly didn't see any sign of it (although no doubt there are pockets of them somewhere). And there are only 40 or so countries below those on the per-capita GDP list. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...%29_per_capita

Last edited by jtur88; 09-20-2015 at 05:14 PM..

Old 09-20-2015, 07:22 PM

5,985 posts, read 13,127,062 times
I would imagine the average person in the third world is happier, because they are not constantly surrounded by people who have way more than them and who look upon them with disgust.

But the poor/homeless American will still have access to more opportunities to pull themselves out of their situation.
If the poor/homeless American is able to at least get access to grooming and good clothing and social services and help then their chances of getting out of poverty is much better.

Old 09-20-2015, 08:38 PM

8,943 posts, read 11,786,454 times
Is being in prison a better alternative than being homeless in America? You get a roof over your head and 3 meals a day.

Old 09-20-2015, 08:41 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,431,754 times
You have got to be joking I came here from France in1977
I had 2 suitcases and $150
Rented a room in a slop house in San Francisco
I thought it was a 5 star hotel
U don't understand this post bek Hollywood told u everybody in France is rich lol
And you wonder why Nigerians don't pity the American ghetto poor
Poor people don't weight 300 lbs and shop at 7 11 while talking on their iPhone

Last edited by Huckleberry3911948; 09-20-2015 at 08:58 PM..

Old 09-20-2015, 09:55 PM

827 posts, read 866,100 times
It depends on what exactly is a third world country.

Brazil is very big and diverse, but i dare to say that the average brazilian citizen lives in places similar to this: https://www.google.com/maps/place/R....4f2e6?hl=pt-BR

Ugly street, small houses, apartments buildings. Inside, everybody have food, TV, internet, smartphones and maybe a car or two.

But if you go to some countries in Africa and Asia, the average quality of life will be very very different.

Old 09-20-2015, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
You have got to be joking I came here from France in1977
I had 2 suitcases and $150
Rented a room in a slop house in San Francisco
I thought it was a 5 star hotel
U don't understand this post bek Hollywood told u everybody in France is rich lol
And you wonder why Nigerians don't pity the American ghetto poor
Poor people don't weight 300 lbs and shop at 7 11 while talking on their iPhone
Of course they do.
That's all what they can basically afford - to *** on their phones ( as if something important is going on in their lives,) and to make it to the 7 11 to buy groceries, because without a car you can't really reach grocery stores on a regular basis. ( That's how those "convenience stores" are making their money - on selling their twofold more expensive stuff to poor))) ( it's "convenience of location" that counts right?)
Oh, and those 300 pounds - we already know that that's all that processed junk American food; a lot of poor Americans "pacify" themselves with food, since they are at the dead end anyways. And of course those 300 pounds as the result of it are in no way indication of good health - we already know that much, right?
As for imaginary "Iphones" ( because those are not iphones that they use as a rule,) but if it's all the expensive stuff, then chances are we already speak of the gang members, and that's a different ball game.

America came looong way from 1977, just in case you didn't notice.

Last edited by erasure; 09-20-2015 at 10:45 PM..

Old 09-20-2015, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex?Il? View Post
I would imagine the average person in the third world is happier, because they are not constantly surrounded by people who have way more than them and who look upon them with disgust.

But the poor/homeless American will still have access to more opportunities to pull themselves out of their situation. If the poor/homeless American is able to at least get access to grooming and good clothing and social services and help then their chances of getting out of poverty is much better.
IF ( that is a big if) he is a young healthy white guy, preferably physically strong, reasonably intelligent, with NO DEPENDENTS and no criminal charges, ( for which he already owes to the state/city substantial amount of money,) and IF he is willing to put his life on hold ( i.e. to not go out, to not to date and so on) for a while, then yes, he might have a chance.
But if he already has dependents/charges/ whatever - then the system will be holding him in its clenches and "working" him until he is finished off for good, and doesn't make any more attempts to escape from the hell hole he is in.
If you are a black - forget about what I've said earlier. That rule above doesn't apply for the most part. And if you are a single woman with a child - your chances are extremely slim ( for the whites,) but for black women in such situation it's practically hopeless yet again to get away from misery that awaits her.

Old 09-21-2015, 09:35 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,992,173 times
OK, here is a mental test, that might answer the question for you.

You toss a coin. Based on the results of the coin toss, you receive one of two outcomes:

Heads: You remain in your own country, and for the rest of your life, your earned income will be quadruploed

Tails: You are banished to a country where the per-capita GDP is a quarter of what it is in your country, and you earn the median wage for the rest of your life. From the USA, that would be, say, Brazil, Thailand, Serbia, South Africa.

Do you accept the challenge? There is a great deal to be gained. It's up to you to decide if there is just as much to be lost.

Last edited by jtur88; 09-21-2015 at 09:45 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World