Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: .
Washington, D.C. 4 6.78%
Chicago 4 6.78%
San Francisco 19 32.20%
Los Angeles 15 25.42%
Miami 9 15.25%
Other city not listed 8 13.56%
Voters: 59. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2016, 01:45 AM

1,889 posts, read 1,325,411 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
I don't think anyone considers New York City to be desirable, except for the people who live there and they all think the rest of the country is a sort of undefined blur because NYC is the only place that exists.
This seems to be a mainly liberal thing and something to do with how they experience disorderliness in the urban environment.

As far as people who hate NYC who simply don't understand what these people mean by "the energy" and claims like "it's the center of the universe", they may as well be living in a parallel reality.

Last edited by Hightower72; 04-10-2016 at 02:26 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2016, 11:22 AM

1,932 posts, read 2,474,501 times
Quote:
I don't think anyone considers New York City to be desirable, except for the people who live there and they all think the rest of the country is a sort of undefined blur because NYC is the only place that exists.
I have to disagree with this. I have traveled to Europe and the amount of NYC apparel that people wear is astonishing. I have meet a few friends from Germany and Austria who have studied abroad over here in LA and they spoke about NYC like it was some sort of Utopia. I think that Hollywood and the picture that the media paints about NYC could be a reason for this. I do have to agree though, people from NYC act like the rest of the USA is always thinking about the place or automatically thinks that NYC is the end all be all and that is simply not true.

Old 04-11-2016, 11:56 AM

1,712 posts, read 2,909,590 times
Quote:
I don't think anyone considers New York City to be desirable
My $2,500 a month rent bill for my crap apartment disagrees with you

Old 04-11-2016, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by i'm not a cookie View Post
I have to disagree with this. I have traveled to Europe and the amount of NYC apparel that people wear is astonishing. I have meet a few friends from Germany and Austria who have studied abroad over here in LA and they spoke about NYC like it was some sort of Utopia. I think that Hollywood and the picture that the media paints about NYC could be a reason for this. I do have to agree though, people from NYC act like the rest of the USA is always thinking about the place or automatically thinks that NYC is the end all be all and that is simply not true.
There's a big discrepancy in opinion between those Europeans who've actually visited NYC and seen the city for how it actually is and those who haven't. Notwithstanding, this thread concerns US cities apart from New York. We should move back on topic.

Old 04-11-2016, 01:04 PM

15,507 posts, read 6,438,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hightower72 View Post
There's a big discrepancy in opinion between those Europeans who've actually visited NYC and seen the city for how it actually is and those who haven't. Notwithstanding, this thread concerns US cities apart from New York. We should move back on topic.
New York use to be the best city in on the east coast. Know it's dc with all the development and clean glass building over the trash compactors in New york

Old 04-11-2016, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterfall8324 View Post
New York use to be the best city in on the east coast. Know it's dc with all the development and clean glass building over the trash compactors in New york
Unfortunately I've never been to DC.

I was once told that it had a legendary reputation for rudeness. It may be interesting to see if that's actually true.

Old 04-11-2016, 04:42 PM

1,110 posts, read 1,380,488 times
Nice? I've only been to LA, San Francisco, San Jose, Las Vegas, Denver, Colorado Springs and Phoenix.

I would say Denver stands out among the rest livability wise.

Old 04-11-2016, 05:17 PM

3,423 posts, read 4,370,668 times
To visit, and possibly live in: San Francisco, Miami, Boston, Seattle.

New Orleans, Las Vegas, and Houston, plus anywhere in the southwest, are all very popular as destinations to visit.

DC has a great reputation as a place to visit, if you stick to the nicer areas... it also has a pretty legendary reputation based on tourists who've inadvertently run up against some of the crime in the sketchier areas.

Old 04-11-2016, 05:25 PM

15,507 posts, read 6,438,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hightower72 View Post
Unfortunately I've never been to DC.

I was once told that it had a legendary reputation for rudeness. It may be interesting to see if that's actually true.
you should go. We also have the highest education rate in the US, plus more focus on STEM rather than arts and craft like the rest of the country

Old 04-11-2016, 06:40 PM

1,932 posts, read 2,474,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottawa2011 View Post
To visit, and possibly live in: San Francisco, Miami, Boston, Seattle.

New Orleans, Las Vegas, and Houston, plus anywhere in the southwest, are all very popular as destinations to visit.

DC has a great reputation as a place to visit, if you stick to the nicer areas... it also has a pretty legendary reputation based on tourists who've inadvertently run up against some of the crime in the sketchier areas.
Really????? That's actually extremely surprising, would have never have guessed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World