Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: More urban?
NYC 18 75.00%
Sao Paolo 6 25.00%
Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2020, 09:11 AM

504 posts, read 598,637 times

Advertisements

Which city would you consider more urban?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2020, 02:53 PM

570 posts, read 508,988 times
Nyc

Old 02-14-2020, 07:13 PM

37,155 posts, read 39,418,669 times
I’ve never been to Sao Paulo and would love to know more from people who have been to both

Old 02-17-2020, 02:41 AM

468 posts, read 616,273 times
Sao Paulo seemed quite (surprisingly) suburban once you venture out of the business/downtown centres. Lot's of family homes, corner shops (like butchers, bakeries or cafes) and quiet streets. Even in such a high-rise/apartment dominated city, you still have a lot of low-rise, single-storey family dwellings. But I suppose that depends where you go.

NYC has this strong "suburban" feel in Queens, Astoria, Forest Hills - but to a lesser extent. You have lot's of big detached family homes in Forest Hills that reminded me of typical suburbia.

It's hard to quantify. I think most major cities are still quite suburban, save for European cities, but even cities like Paris have their pockets of urban sprawl with low-density suburban housing. Granted, it's on a much smaller scale.

Old 02-17-2020, 05:20 AM

3,535 posts, read 2,329,409 times
The only city on the planet that "out urbans" NYC is Tokyo

Old 02-18-2020, 04:26 AM

990 posts, read 881,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
I’ve never been to Sao Paulo and would love to know more from people who have been to both
i am from Sao Paulo and have been in NYC.
I think how Manhattan is a penninsula with no much space it was built more compact. SP in another hand started as much smaller city speacilly in the ‘’new down town’’ the financial center of the city, it used to be where the richest lived 100 years ago, is possible still see some old big houses among the high building although nowadays these houses are used for many kind of business.
In NYC out of Manhattan is pretty simillar to SP with pockets of many residencial areas inside the metropolis. When i have been in NYC, together an American friend he told me i started instantly act with someone from there, like only someone from another huge city would fit instantly.

Old 02-18-2020, 06:11 AM

1,187 posts, read 1,373,146 times
How can a city be more urban than another city? It can be bigger, more densely populated, have a more densely commuted core (?), etc., but being urban is a category rather than a quantifiable grade. It’s like saying that a cow is more mammalian than a bat.

Old 02-18-2020, 08:30 AM

10,101 posts, read 14,972,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EVANGELISTTI View Post
i am from Sao Paulo and have been in NYC.
I think how Manhattan is a penninsula with no much space it was built more compact. SP in another hand started as much smaller city speacilly in the ‘’new down town’’ the financial center of the city, it used to be where the richest lived 100 years ago, is possible still see some old big houses among the high building although nowadays these houses are used for many kind of business.
In NYC out of Manhattan is pretty simillar to SP with pockets of many residencial areas inside the metropolis. When i have been in NYC, together an American friend he told me i started instantly act with someone from there, like only someone from another huge city would fit instantly.
Manhattan is an island, not a peninsula.

While the most visited part and the image of NYC, Manhattan is actually the smallest borough in NYC. The vast majority of the city is made up of relatively low lying areas (minus very few exceptions) of The Bronx, Queens, Staten Island, and Brooklyn. I say those areas make up at least 75% of NYC, maybe more. Those also happen to be the least visited boroughs by tourists in general and international tourists in particular, despite that JFK International and La Guardia National airports are both in Queens.

People often forget that most of NYC is not the skyscraper concentrated middle and lower Manhattan. While beautiful and impressive, that's not the real NYC (though it's in the image most visitors have of NYC).

Old 02-19-2020, 05:57 AM

3,535 posts, read 2,329,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonioR View Post
Manhattan is an island, not a peninsula.

While the most visited part and the image of NYC, Manhattan is actually the smallest borough in NYC. The vast majority of the city is made up of relatively low lying areas (minus very few exceptions) of The Bronx, Queens, Staten Island, and Brooklyn. I say those areas make up at least 75% of NYC, maybe more. Those also happen to be the least visited boroughs by tourists in general and international tourists in particular, despite that JFK International and La Guardia National airports are both in Queens.

People often forget that most of NYC is not the skyscraper concentrated middle and lower Manhattan. While beautiful and impressive, that's not the real NYC (though it's in the image most visitors have of NYC).
Manhattans is only 6% of NYC's total land area lol

Old 02-21-2020, 03:12 AM

468 posts, read 616,273 times
Yes, once you get out of Manhattan, and into areas like Queens, Staten Island, Forest Hills...it feels less frenetic, and more suburban.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World