Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2017, 10:39 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,394,395 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIMBAM View Post
Well, on the US side that is, Cascadia is a term that is considered to include British Columbia, so obviously all of British Columbia has universal healthcare and heavily subsidized university tuition rates.

The US, on the other hand, has the food stamps program, which has no equivalent in Canada or Europe.
Europe and Canada don't need a Food Stamp program because the income gap isn't as wide in those places. Qualifying for Food Stamps means you're underpaid. I'm pretty sure a retail worker in Canada or Europe struggles all the same but still has an easier time than their American counterparts who often have to work two jobs and STILL need assistance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2017, 12:54 AM

1,147 posts, read 718,292 times
Northern Europe. This isn't even that debatable. Aside from Vancouver (BC), Cascadia is not progressive.

Old 04-15-2017, 09:19 AM

25 posts, read 27,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blaserbrad View Post
What region is more progressive? Cascadia or Northern Europe?
Cascadia including:
San Francisco
Seattle
Vancouver
Portland
and surrounding area of the Northwest coast

Northern Europe including:
Oslo
Stockholm
Copenhagen
Berlin
Amsterdam
and surrounding areas.

What have both areas brought to the table?
Innovation
Sustainability
Acceptance/ tolerance
Quality of life

This doesn't have to be a competition necessarily. More of a compare and contrast. Both have a lot to offer
In Germany I would replace Berlin with Hamburg... Hamburg is certainly more comparable to Ámsterdam and Copenhagen than berlin is..

Old 04-15-2017, 09:23 AM

25 posts, read 27,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy-040 View Post
As a region Northern Europe for sure but i think its better to compare city vs. city.

for example...

San Francisco vs. Berlin
Seattle vs. Hamburg
Vancouver vs. Amsterdam
San Jose vs. Stockholm
Portland vs. Bremen
Oakland vs. Copenhagen

You could add Tacoma, Salem, Eugene, Fremont, Gothenburg, Malmo, Bergen, Groningen etc.

I'm assuming you see "Northern Europe" as Norway, Sweden, Denmark, Northern Netherlands and Northern Germany?

Netherlands is fully northern europe, Unlike germany, who might be comparable "northern" in mentality Anything north of Dusseldorf.

Northern Europe in terms of culture: Nordic countries, NOrthern Germany, The Netherlands, Estonia and Latvia. Although Estonia and Latvia have been drawn eastwards due to recent history..

Old 04-15-2017, 11:27 PM

4,472 posts, read 3,826,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
In America, "progressive" essentially means the following:

- Full acceptance of LGBT rights

- Abortion on demand

- A greater focus on minority and immigrant rights

- Legalized marijuana

- Interracial relationships being the norm

- Religious pluralism and preferably less religion overall

- Higher taxation, especially on the rich

- More government regulation on businesses

- Universal healthcare, established by the government

- Greater use of public transportation

- Greater environmental awareness, less pollution, more recycling, etc.

- Weaker national defense, military cutbacks

- Less patriotic feeling in general

So, I think these are closer to the ideals of many European countries as well.
Ew to most of this except the public transportation. And interracial relationships isn't really a "liberal" thing. I am a product of interracial marriage.

Old 04-15-2017, 11:28 PM

4,472 posts, read 3,826,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
Cascadia includes large swaths of "the rest of" Washington, Oregon, and California, which aren't hardly at all the sort of progressive wonderland that people associate with the region due to Seattle, Portland, SF, etc. For example, Washington State has some of the most lax gun laws in the US. I bought a Romanian AK74 with a 75-round drum for $195 at a gun shop in 2008 on a whim. I would see pro-bible/anti-evolution billboards along the freeways in Southern Oregon and Eastern WA when I drove through. Many communities revolve around one or two church congregations and whatever industry keeps the town alive instead of their (nonexistent) institutions of higher learning and sense of culture and togetherness.

These areas are more right-wing libertarian than they are left-wing liberal, and many of them are already less-than-happy with the fact that the urban centers tend to drive the policy for the rest of the state; they would likely be incensed at the idea of being included in a super-liberal megastate/nation and wouldn't cooperate with any moves to institute socialized medicine, free higher education, sanctuary/amnesty for undocumented immigrants, etc.
Yeah most of Washington and Oregon outside of Seattle/Portland are pretty moderate/conservative.

Old 04-16-2017, 07:05 AM

27,567 posts, read 28,673,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
Denmark loves their flag-waving and 70% of the men serve their conscription in the Finnish military. Again, one have to think what is progressive and what is not.
It makes sense for there to be a somewhat different dynamic in northern European countries. In countries with smaller populations, you would probably need the majority of the men to serve in the military for functional purposes.

However, in America, things like the military, the police and other law enforcement, hunters and gun rights activists are mostly conservative/Republican. Those are not associated with progressivism.

There are also other aspects of being progressive that are cultural/lifestyle choices. For example - veganism, yoga and transcendentalism. A white person who is into Zen Buddhism would be considered progressive. A white person who is into evangelical Christianity would not.

I don't know how much of this stuff applies in Europe.

Old 04-16-2017, 08:07 AM

24,128 posts, read 24,813,132 times
Quote:
It makes sense for there to be a somewhat different dynamic in northern European countries. In countries with smaller populations, you would probably need the majority of the men to serve in the military for functional purposes.

However, in America, things like the military, the police and other law enforcement, hunters and gun rights activists are mostly conservative/Republican. Those are not associated with progressivism.

There are also other aspects of being progressive that are cultural/lifestyle choices. For example - veganism, yoga and transcendentalism. A white person who is into Zen Buddhism would be considered progressive. A white person who is into evangelical Christianity would not.

Most things apply here as well. Hunting is a quite conservative scene, but also viewed as ecological. The police and military is mostly conservative.

Northern Europeans are not big on ANY religions, so I doubt that Zen Buddhism would be considered any more 'progressive' than others. Yoga is more of a urban-rural thing.

Veganism is considered just a personal choice. Well, not personal, as vegans can't go 10 seconds without mentioning it.

Old 04-16-2017, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xboxmas View Post
Yeah most of Washington and Oregon outside of Seattle/Portland are pretty moderate/conservative.
But most of the people aren't in those large areas. It's about population distribution and density, not which color takes up more space on a map.

Old 04-16-2017, 08:20 AM

Quote:

I know plenty of conservatives who are vegan and vegetarian. That could be a San Diego thing but liberal and progressive people most certainly don't have a monopoly on that lifestyle here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World