Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2014, 08:32 PM

7,639 posts, read 18,127,435 times

Advertisements

What things would you suggest tourists do if they want to see a glimpse of daily life of "normal" people in your country?

I would suggest they:

- Rent a car for a day or two and go exploring the suburbs, ideally of a medium-size city, and/or the small towns lying at least 50 miles from that city. Ride around residential areas.
- Attend a varsity (high school) sports game. The schedules should be posted in small town (<10,000 pop) newsweeklies, available at gas stations, or on the school district's webpage. The prime time for visiting many American states (September, October) also corresponds with high school football games, which attract especially large crowds and have al the stereotypical American pageantry.
- Eat at a local chain restaurant, such as Applebees or Olive Garden. This might sound unusual, especially from someone who generally avoids chain restaurants (and especially those ones!), but regular Americans tend to dine there.
- On the other hand, make a run for a small-town diner. They tend to serve the best breakfasts (imagine french toast stuffed with strawberry jam and covered with cinnamon!) and at low prices and attract local regular patrons.
- Go to a local sports bar in the evening, and order sitting on the barstool. This is a great way to assess what local people have on their minds. The bar stool part comes in where when you order, you are sure to be asked where you are from
- Attend a small-town parade. Most have 4th of July parades, but many also have city-specific parades.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2014, 08:35 PM

11,655 posts, read 12,960,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvdxer View Post
What things would you suggest tourists do if they want to see a glimpse of daily life of "normal" people in your country?

I would suggest they:

- Rent a car for a day or two and go exploring the suburbs, ideally of a medium-size city, and/or the small
I was about to say that. The suburbs are the vital 'organs' of the city. Not to mention, in Sydney, all of our beautiful parks are there.

Old 08-17-2014, 10:32 AM

1,373 posts, read 1,443,600 times
that's an interesting question.
To someone that visit italy i would suggest:

-to eat cornetto and cappuccino for breakfast in the nearest bar, or at least try what we mean with the word "caffè"
http://www.ilsole24ore.com/art/SoleO...b-19db11f9235c
-to visit a street market (we call it just "mercato"). it's the best way to see locals in their everyday life i can think of. markets could be really crowded, so i suggest to pay attention to your wallet and cellphone. for the rest it's really interesting, you can find practically everything in the market.
http://www.lavocedipistoia.com/publi...23708ff4f9.jpg
-to eat local food in a trattoria: every city has different food specialties. the trattorie are usually small family restaurant specialized in local food.
http://www.centotrattorie.com/wp-con...Montanara2.jpg
- to visit the city you are in: also the littlest city here has something interesting to see (i'm not joking: for example i can pass all the afternoon showing you the roman monuments and churches of the city in which i live, Susa, that has less than 5,000 habitats). if you don't like historical and/or artistic monuments there are also a lot of beautiful national parks, mountain and seaside places to see.
-we are used to have dinner quite late (7 or 8 PM), so if around 4PM you are already hungry it's the right hour for Merenda! during the summer i suggest you to eat a gelato, http://www.puntarellarossa.it/site/w...enium-cono.jpg while during the winter is better a focaccia or pizza al taglio. http://www.immobiliaremarche.eu/uplo...5212/PIZZA.jpg
-if you like sport, you should try to play "calcetto" (football/soccer played just for fun with friends in a little field) with some italian. it's too funny to see how we can take it seriously also if it's just a game...
If you are not sportive, at least watch someone playing, it can also be interesting.
http://bari.repubblica.it/images/201...cff07be1fd.jpg
-for dinner, i suggest a serious pizza! http://static.groupon.it/40/14/1355495531440.png
- during all the year a lot of interesting events are organized in all the cities: from fiere (big street market) to concerts to fireworks night. Every city has his own traditional events (some are really strange, like the ivrea carnival Battle of the Oranges - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia) you can't absolutely miss them!
http://image.nanopress.it/628X0/viag...o-Maggiore.jpg
(fireworks during the fireworks world cup, that took place on the Lago Maggiore every year)

Old 08-17-2014, 01:49 PM

28 posts, read 20,128 times
My one advice is just GET THE HELL OUTTA LONDON because there's a whole country outside that cesspit of a city.

Ok everyone loves London me included but London isn't the be all and end all when it comes to UK cities and the UK in general. I'd say rent a car and go to the following in this order.

First stop: Heathrow airport then off to London town.

Second stop: Brighton then rent a car and head to Oxford.

Third stop: Birmingham city

Forth: Bristol then Cardiff

5th: Liverpool

6th MANCHESTER!!

7th Peak District and Lake district NPs

8th: Newcastle Upon Tyne..

9th Glasgow

and last but not least Edinburgh! Who can forgot Edinburgh? Well alot of people cos everyone goes to the Rome of the south, HAHA!!

Old 08-17-2014, 10:22 PM

7,639 posts, read 18,127,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meteoholic View Post
My one advice is just GET THE HELL OUTTA LONDON because there's a whole country outside that cesspit of a city.

Ok everyone loves London me included but London isn't the be all and end all when it comes to UK cities and the UK in general. I'd say rent a car and go to the following in this order.

First stop: Heathrow airport then off to London town.

Second stop: Brighton then rent a car and head to Oxford.

Third stop: Birmingham city

Forth: Bristol then Cardiff

5th: Liverpool

6th MANCHESTER!!

7th Peak District and Lake district NPs

8th: Newcastle Upon Tyne..

9th Glasgow

and last but not least Edinburgh! Who can forgot Edinburgh? Well alot of people cos everyone goes to the Rome of the south, HAHA!!
Yes, and you could visit all those cities and still take in just the tourist sights and visit the historic centers or the central business districts...nothing against that, obviously, but looking at an old monument or visiting a museum won't tell you much about a culture or society as it currently is. What concrete things would you recommend travelers do? I imagine a lot of the U.K. lifestyle revolves around the local pub or Indian takeaway.

Old 08-31-2014, 09:27 AM

987 posts, read 1,386,671 times
Default Must see beaches in the PhilippineM

Old 08-31-2014, 10:06 AM

1,446 posts, read 1,955,971 times
Fika fika fika!!!

Old 08-31-2014, 11:35 AM

14,820 posts, read 12,029,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvdxer View Post
Yes, and you could visit all those cities and still take in just the tourist sights and visit the historic centers or the central business districts...nothing against that, obviously, but looking at an old monument or visiting a museum won't tell you much about a culture or society as it currently is. What concrete things would you recommend travelers do? I imagine a lot of the U.K. lifestyle revolves around the local pub or Indian takeaway.
Go to a local football match have a few pints in the boozer afterwards and then finish the night off with a trip to the curry house. Heaven!

Old 08-31-2014, 12:48 PM

987 posts, read 1,386,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rams_Lord View Post
Fika fika fika!!!
So so true! Ditto! Fika Fika Fika! (fikafikafika_) on Twitter
https://twitter.com/fikafikafika_
The latest from Fika Fika Fika (@fikafikafika_). Fika Fika Fika is a curation of things that we love. It is for the dreamers and the curious.

Old 09-03-2014, 07:27 AM

26,883 posts, read 38,040,463 times
Come in the winter and attend a children's (ice) hockey game with passionate parents at a local arena/rink.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World