Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-12-2017, 01:15 AM

11,554 posts, read 9,327,637 times

Advertisements

Interesting list here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...y_average_wage

Despite earning $25K more annually (!!!), Swiss people actually somehow have less purchasing power than Americans. Same with Norway. It's not a coincidence that both Norway and Switzerland are considered some of the most expensive countries in the world. Also look at Poland. They only earn 1000USD a month, but those thousand dollars go a looooong way

Australians earn almost as much as Americans but get screwed because of high prices. New Zealanders earn well, but are also screwed by higher prices
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2017, 12:30 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,676,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milky Way Resident View Post
The opportunity comes mostly from the size of the economy. Yes, getting richer is part of the deal, but so are job opportunities. A larger economy is bound to have a bigger job market. Australia has a bigger market than New Zealand and by extension the US has a bigger one than AU.

I've run into a number of younger people from NZ, who came to Australia for those factors.
So if Brazil has a lot more opportunity, then unemployment will be low there?

There are a lot of reasons why NZers go to Australia, but I would put better pay ahead of greater opportunity. Just from my own experience, people will talk about differences in wages, not about jobs they can't get in NZ

Old 09-12-2017, 01:29 PM

3,950 posts, read 3,302,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
Barely bigger isn't relevant -by your measure, Bangladesh is wealthier than NZ.

Average purchasing power is what matters - NZ and Ireland have more.

I think opportunity abounds in all of the mentioned countries
I do not use only the GDP measurement in my opinion...the structure of the economy, abundance of natural resources, etc... are a big part of the story too...Bangladesh ain't Mexico and even much less, Brazil

Old 09-12-2017, 01:32 PM

Quote:
The opportunity comes mostly from the size of the economy. Yes, getting richer is part of the deal, but so are job opportunities. A larger economy is bound to have a bigger job market. Australia has a bigger market than New Zealand and by extension the US has a bigger one than AU.

I've run into a number of younger people from NZ, who came to Australia for those factors.

I agree...I lived in Australia and I still visit very often, I met a lot of young Kiwis looking for a better future (opportunities, wages) in Oz...it is undeniable

Old 09-12-2017, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warszawa View Post

Despite earning $25K more annually (!!!), Swiss people actually somehow have less purchasing power than Americans. Same with Norway. It's not a coincidence that both Norway and Switzerland are considered some of the most expensive countries in the world. Also look at Poland. They only earn 1000USD a month, but those thousand dollars go a looooong way

Australians earn almost as much as Americans but get screwed because of high prices. New Zealanders earn well, but are also screwed by higher prices
Exactly...miscalculating COL vs. wages is one of the most common mistake immigrants make when they move to another country....I been an immigrant 4 times myself.....

Old 09-12-2017, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saturno_v View Post
I do not use only the GDP measurement in my opinion...the structure of the economy, abundance of natural resources, etc... are a big part of the story too...Bangladesh ain't Mexico and even much less, Brazil
NZ has an abundance of natural resources, and a well structured economy..... and a higher GDP.

Quote:
I agree...I lived in Australia and I still visit very often, I met a lot of young Kiwis looking for a better future (opportunities, wages) in Oz...it is undeniable
Sure, but it doesn't represent the whole picture -it's effectively an open border, and the bigger, warmer, richer neighbour appeals to many. Going there is almost a rite of passage for younger Kiwis.

Not sure how this ties in with Brazil though -New Zealanders aren't flocking there in droves, seeking opportunity.

Old 09-12-2017, 03:36 PM

Quote:
NZ has an abundance of natural resources, and a well structured economy..... and a higher GDP.
Natural resources not even remotely comparable to Brazil.
Brazil GDP is tenfold NZ, Brazil has a lot of advanced manufacturing, etc...I do not think you realize how powerful Brazil is. Furthermore Most Latin Americans have a similar arrangement to the Tran-Tasman Travel Arrangement, the Mercosur, they can freely live and work almost anywhere in the continent.

Old 09-12-2017, 07:42 PM

5,428 posts, read 3,497,292 times
Quote:

Sure, but it doesn't represent the whole picture -it's effectively an open border, and the bigger, warmer, richer neighbour appeals to many. Going there is almost a rite of passage for younger Kiwis.

Not sure how this ties in with Brazil though -New Zealanders aren't flocking there in droves, seeking opportunity.
New Zealand most definitely does not have a higher GDP than Brazil. The latter is a soft power and one of the ten largest economies in the world. Of course, NZ has a higher GDP per capita as there are only about 5 million people in NZ, compared to 206 million in Brazil, which effectively makes NZ a wealthier country.

Ths open border thing along with the proximate explain why Kiwis flock to AU, but the reverse is far less true, just like there are far more Canadians going to the US then the reverse even though it's not an open border. In both cases the neighbouring country offers more in terms of job opportunities which is a product of having a larger economy.

Old 09-12-2017, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Natural resources not even remotely comparable to Brazil.
Brazil GDP is tenfold NZ, Brazil has a lot of advanced manufacturing, etc...I do not think you realize how powerful Brazil is. Furthermore Most Latin Americans have a similar arrangement to the Tran-Tasman Travel Arrangement, the Mercosur, they can freely live and work almost anywhere in the continent.

Powerful? -I thought we were talking wealth.

Natural resources are relative to the population of the country, and aren't necessary for wealth generation anyway.

Raise the per capita GDP, and get those poor folks decent paying jobs, and then I will view Brazil as a wealthier country.

Quote:
New Zealand most definitely does not have a higher GDP than Brazil. The latter is a soft power and one of the ten largest economies in the world. Of course, NZ has a higher GDP per capita as there are only about 5 million people in NZ, compared to 206 million in Brazil, which effectively makes NZ a wealthier country.

Ths open border thing along with the proximate explain why Kiwis flock to AU, but the reverse is far less true, just like there are far more Canadians going to the US then the reverse even though it's not an open border. In both cases the neighbouring country offers more in terms of job opportunities which is a product of having a larger economy.
That's all I was saying.

Second paragraph is true, but not sure how that ties into opportunities that Brazil can offer- kiwis aren't heading to Brazil for the opportunities

Last edited by Joe90; 09-12-2017 at 08:05 PM..

Old 09-13-2017, 07:49 AM

827 posts, read 865,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warszawa View Post

Very interesting. Considering the nominal values, americans are more than 7 times wealthier than mexicans. Considering the PPP, they are a little less than 4 times wealthier than mexicans. Still pretty much wealthier, but the PPP is more realistic.

If an american sees only the nominal values, he will think that mexicans (and brazilians, colombians etc.) are dying of starvation right know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World