Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2017, 04:28 AM

9,361 posts, read 14,303,260 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
When I said to get news from Internet, I didn't meant to get them from Google News
You can find sources that fit your needs and beliefs.
Well, Google News was just an example.

Yes, my favorite is a website specializing in markets and economy (numbers often say more than words), it's mostly free, the degree of junk is less than average, the comments section is lively and often more informative than the articles.

Just an example.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2017, 05:30 AM

26,875 posts, read 38,014,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
When I said to get news from Internet, I didn't meant to get them from Google News
You can find sources that fit your needs and beliefs.
It is a problem that people are seeking out news sources that fit their beliefs as opposed to facts.

Old 08-19-2017, 06:03 AM

27,157 posts, read 13,444,010 times
I only ever watch Kate Bolduan, you don't need the volume on to enjoy Kate.

Old 08-19-2017, 06:07 AM

5,428 posts, read 3,494,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
It is a problem that people are seeking out news sources that fit their beliefs as opposed to facts.
Considering that every news source holds its own biases, not really.

Old 08-19-2017, 06:17 AM

26,875 posts, read 38,014,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milky Way Resident View Post
Opinions completely squeezing out facts. Sounds like a bright future.

Old 08-19-2017, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Opinions completely squeezing out facts. Sounds like a bright future.
That's how it is though, every news source presents information in accordance with its political positions. It's very hard to come up with objective news when the field is subjective by nature. The only place where objective truths can/should be found is science.

Old 08-19-2017, 08:18 AM

9,361 posts, read 14,303,260 times
Quote:
That's how it is though, every news source presents information in accordance with its political positions. It's very hard to come up with objective news when the field is subjective by nature.
Perfectly stated.

Quote:
The only place where objective truths can/should be found is science.
Highly problematic, in fact sounds like just another attempt at dogmatic propaganda, like everybody else's.

You see, it depends on what you mean by "science". Even "scientists" compete among themselves for resources for personal use and they use propaganda to push their "science" at the expense of someone else's.

In the end, "truth", a mere human concept, is personal experience.

Fact is, there is no consensus on how to deal with these "terrorist" attacks, in fact there are powerful people who gain from the business.

Good Luck!

Last edited by bale002; 08-19-2017 at 08:36 AM..

Old 08-19-2017, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bale002 View Post

Highly problematic, in fact sounds like just another attempt at dogmatic propaganda, like everybody else's.

You see, it depends on what you mean by "science". Even "scientists" compete among themselves for resources for personal use and they use propaganda to push their "science" at the expense of someone else's.

In the end, "truth", a mere human concept, is personal experience.

Good Luck!
I don't disagree, it is hard to present science in an objective matter when you have a lot of competing theories out there. However, I do believe that competition in science is healthy as long as it stays apolitical. It is also the one broad field where objective truths can be found; things like math are accepted globally regardless of where one is from. It becomes more complicated when we take into consideration more complex theories like the nature of dark matter/energy, the Multiverse or the like.

Old 08-19-2017, 02:26 PM

146 posts, read 174,497 times
Quote:
Can someone please explain this to me? I'm in my twenties so perhaps from your statement, i'm the worst victim in all this who doesn't realize the propaganda they're being subjected to but watching BBC World News, CNN local and CNN International, I fail to see the overt biases but just OCD news reporting.

I definitely believe you when it comes to RT (Russia Today), now ironically, it's a 'schizophrenic' show in the sense that it constantly has Pro-Russia/Anti-American messages mixed in with revealing legitimate conspiracies that Western media refuses to show.

I think these news organisations have 'orgasms' when terrorist attacks happen. I can see how journalists who get paid try to make the best stories at the metaphorical price of facts.

Old 08-19-2017, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by croftylot24 View Post
Can someone please explain this to me? I'm in my twenties so perhaps from your statement, i'm the worst victim in all this who doesn't realize the propaganda they're being subjected to but watching BBC World News, CNN local and CNN International, I fail to see the overt biases but just OCD news reporting.

I definitely believe you when it comes to RT (Russia Today), now ironically, it's a 'schizophrenic' show in the sense that it constantly has Pro-Russia/Anti-American messages mixed in with revealing legitimate conspiracies that Western media refuses to show.

I think these news organisations have 'orgasms' when terrorist attacks happen. I can see how journalists who get paid try to make the best stories at the metaphorical price of facts.
I'm also in my twenties so age is definitely not the main factor. No doubt that BBC, CNN and the like are better than Russia Today or Fox News but they still present news in accordance with their views, like BBC with their anti-Brexit stance or CNN with their anti Trump position. Now I'm not saying I disagree with them on those points, though Brexit is more ambiguous, but they find fault with absolutely everything.

Every source of news needs to be taken with a grain of salt, but that's because history and politics are subjective in their very nature.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World