Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Madrid vs Buenos Aires (comparison of the 2 Spanish speaking global centers)
Madrid 21 72.41%
Buenos Aires 8 27.59%
Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2018, 08:08 PM

5,428 posts, read 3,494,204 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rranger View Post
It has been a while since I visited this thread. I reiterate ... parts of Buenos Aires are truly beautiful. But, beauty only has so much value if you can't make a living. And, that's the quandry Argentinians face on a daily basis (though, admittedly, much less so than in a total mess like Caracas). All the beautiful beaux-arts buildings in the world can't fix Argentina's economic mess. And, pretending to be a first-world city in the third- (at best, second-) world does nothing to address the issue. I would love to visit Buenos Aires, but I really have to wonder how nice it would be to walk down any of the streets adjacent to the the beautiful boulevards in the photos. It's like Rio De Janeiro ... Leblon's nice, but God forbid you walk a few blocks into the favelas.
Sure, but then you could say the same thing about any number of first world city. Even the global powerhouses of New York, London and Paris have undesirable neighborhoods. Nothing like the favelas of Rio, but nevertheless run down and decrepit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2018, 09:10 PM

14,611 posts, read 17,547,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sf_arkitect View Post
Madrid sits on a high plateau in the middle of the Iberian peninsula - the city experiences a climate somewhat akin to a hot summer Mediterranean climate.
They used to teach us either "6 months winter, 6 months hell" or "9 months of winter and 3 months of hell".

I've been there twice, and it was quite nice.

Old 12-28-2022, 01:59 PM

211 posts, read 119,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milky Way Resident View Post
Sure, but then you could say the same thing about any number of first world city. Even the global powerhouses of New York, London and Paris have undesirable neighborhoods. Nothing like the favelas of Rio, but nevertheless run down and decrepit.
Argentina has a lower murder rate than the US. While you should have some street smarts like in Chicago (which is much more dangerous than BA), you'll be fine for the most part. You're not really going to be worrying about wandering off into a favela either. Argentian doesn't really have the level of poverty as Brazil or Mexico. It's going through economic struggles, but they're more similar to modern day Greece or Portugal or late stage Soviet Russia than they are Colombia or Brazil.

Now the European countries are lucky to be part of the EU and to be in a more prosperous stable part of the world (well in recent history) but BA is essentially a first-world city in a second-world country in a continent that fluctuates between low first-world (Chile, Uruguay) chaotic second-world (Brazil, Peru, and Colombia) and some ****-holes (Venezuala).

Old 12-30-2022, 06:47 PM

881 posts, read 922,368 times
Definitely Mexico and probably Brazil too have less people in poverty than Argentina, which has a very high inflation rate.

For one, Brazil has much less people in hunger: https://reliefweb.int/map/world/hunger-map-2020

A very large chunk of Gran Buenos Aires doesn't look First World at all.

Portugal and Greece are much wealthier than Colombia, Brazil or Argentina.

Old 12-30-2022, 07:53 PM

5,214 posts, read 4,018,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidwestCoast714 View Post

Now the European countries are lucky to be part of the EU.

Hilarious. Jokes aside I suspect Madrid is richer but stuck in the middle of the country...so no sea. Is Buenos Aires at the ocean? If it is...it's the better option.

Old 12-30-2022, 11:37 PM

10,072 posts, read 14,952,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rranger View Post
It has been a while since I visited this thread. I reiterate ... parts of Buenos Aires are truly beautiful. But, beauty only has so much value if you can't make a living. And, that's the quandry Argentinians face on a daily basis (though, admittedly, much less so than in a total mess like Caracas). All the beautiful beaux-arts buildings in the world can't fix Argentina's economic mess. And, pretending to be a first-world city in the third- (at best, second-) world does nothing to address the issue. I would love to visit Buenos Aires, but I really have to wonder how nice it would be to walk down any of the streets adjacent to the the beautiful boulevards in the photos. It's like Rio De Janeiro ... Leblon's nice, but God forbid you walk a few blocks into the favelas.
There is such a thing like Google Street View.

Old 12-31-2022, 09:00 AM

5,743 posts, read 3,597,475 times
wrong thread
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World