Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2018, 04:24 AM

570 posts, read 508,988 times

Advertisements

A new study by The Economist ranks these cities as the most expensive in the world:

1. Singapore, Singapore
2. Paris, France
3. Zurich, Switzerland
4. Hong Kong, Hong Kong
5. Oslo, Norway
6. Geneva, Switzerland
7. Seoul, South Korea
8. Copenhagen, Denmark
9. Tel Aviv, Israel
10. Sydney, Australia

I have my doubts...

In my opinion, Paris is NOT more expensive than the Scandinavian cities, Zurich, Geneva and Sydney.

London ranks (#30)?! and NYC (#13)? For real???!

What are your thoughts?

Source: The Economist

https://twitter.com/TheEIU/status/97...0180315-h0xjel

https://www.eiu.com/topic/worldwide-cost-of-living
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2018, 05:42 AM

1,891 posts, read 1,685,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usuariodeldia View Post
A new study by The Economist ranks these cities as the most expensive in the world:

1. Singapore, Singapore
2. Paris, France
3. Zurich, Switzerland
4. Hong Kong, Hong Kong
5. Oslo, Norway
6. Geneva, Switzerland
7. Seoul, South Korea
8. Copenhagen, Denmark
9. Tel Aviv, Israel
10. Sydney, Australia

I have my doubts...

In my opinion, Paris is NOT more expensive than the Scandinavian cities, Zurich, Geneva and Sydney.

What are your thoughts?

Did you download the free report and read it ? To understand (-a little unless you pay the full report-) the ranking?
It's about a basket of goods average people buy to live. Change of exchange rates for currencies are important.
And Paris is horribly expensive and that's a terrible default.

For flats: https://www.globalpropertyguide.com/...pensive-cities
Paris is more expensive than Zurich, Geneva and Sydney. What is more surprising isn't that Paris is here, but London isn't here. As a parisian, the metro bill in London can make me faint. As well as rents. As well as a lot of things. I guess movement of currencies are responsible for a big part of these weird rankings.

here is the abstract:
"A European resurgence

In 2018 Singapore retains its title as the world’s most expensive city for the fifth consecutive year in
a top ten that is largely split between Asia and Europe. Seoul is the only other city in the top ten that
has maintained its ranking from the previous year. In the rest of Asia, Hong Kong and Sydney join
Singapore and Seoul in the top ten. Low inflation has pushed Tokyo and Osaka out of the top ten in the
cost of living ranking covering 133 cities worldwide. The Japanese capital, which was the world’s most
expensive city until 2013, has moved seven places down the ranking in the past 12 months. Conversely,
Seoul, which was ranked 21st five years ago, is now in sixth position.
Tel Aviv, which was ranked 34th just five years ago, is now the ninth most expensive city in the
survey. Currency appreciation played a part in this rise, but Tel Aviv also has some specific costs that
drive up prices, notably those of buying, insuring and maintaining a car, which push transport costs
79% above New York prices. Tel Aviv is also the second most expensive city in the survey in which to
buy alcohol.
Within western Europe it is non-euro area cities that largely remain the most expensive. Zurich
(2nd), Oslo (5th), Geneva (6th) and Copenhagen (8th) are among the ten priciest. The lone exception
is Paris (2nd), which has featured among the top ten most expensive cities since 2003. With west
European cities returning to the fold, the region now accounts for three of the five most expensive
cities and for one-half of the top ten. Asia accounts for a further four cities, while Tel Aviv is the sole
Middle Eastern representative.
New York has moved four places down the ranking to 13th position owing to a weakening of the US
dollar in 2017, which has also affected the position of other US cities. This, however, still represents a
comparatively sharp increase in the relative cost of living compared with five years ago, when New York
was ranked 27th.
Last year deflation and devaluations were prominent factors in determining the cost of living, with
many cities moving down the ranking owing to currency weakness or falling local prices. Both prices
and a number of currencies rallied during 2017, and although inflation in many cities has remained
moderate, the impact is reflected in the average cost of living. Taking an average of the indices for all
cities surveyed using New York as base city, the global cost of living has risen to 74%, up slightly from
73% last year. This remains significantly lower than five years ago, when the average cost of living index
across the cities surveyed was 85.5%.
Despite topping the ranking, Singapore still offers relative value in some categories, especially
compared with its regional peers. For categories such as personal care, household goods and domestic
help Singapore remains significantly cheaper than its peers, but it remains the most expensive place
in the world to buy and run a car and the third-priciest destination in which to buy clothes. In terms of
food and drink, the cost of living in Singapore is on a par with that of Shanghai in China. Seoul, Tokyo
and Hong Kong are the three most expensive places in the world to buy staple goods. In Seoul, topping
up a grocery basket is almost 50% more expensive than in New York. "

About the ranking:

"
Background: about the survey

The Worldwide Cost of Living is a biannual Economist Intelligence Unit survey that compares more
than 400 individual prices across 160 products and services. These include food, drink, clothing,
household supplies and personal care items, home rents, transport, utility bills, private schools,
domestic help and recreational costs.
The survey itself is a purpose-built Internet tool designed to help human resources and finance
managers calculate cost-of-living allowances and build compensation packages for expatriates and
business travellers. The survey incorporates easy-to-understand comparative cost-of-living indices
between cities. The survey allows for city-to-city comparisons, but for the purpose of this report all
cities are compared with a base city of New York, which has an index set at 100. The survey has been
carried out for more than 30 years.

Methodology

More than 50,000 individual prices are collected in each survey, conducted each March and September
and published in June and December. Economist Intelligence Unit researchers survey a range of stores:
supermarkets, mid-priced stores and higher-priced speciality outlets. Prices reflect costs for more than
160 items in each city. These are not recommended retail prices or manufacturers’ costs; they are what
the paying customer is charged.
Prices gathered are then converted into a central currency (US dollars) using the prevailing exchange
rate and weighted in order to achieve comparative indices. The cost-of-living index uses an identical
set of weights that is internationally based and not geared towards the spending pattern of any specific
nationality. Items are individually weighted across a range of categories, and a comparative index is
produced using the relative difference by weighted item. "

Last edited by Pokitobounto; 03-16-2018 at 06:00 AM..

Old 03-16-2018, 07:29 AM

7,033 posts, read 4,956,021 times
We slotted in at 14th along with LA, could be worse

Old 03-16-2018, 07:43 AM

5,869 posts, read 4,211,939 times
These are the most expensive cities for a very narrow, tiny class of people, and are calculated on the price of a glass of wine or having a lady's dress dry cleaned, or hiring a house servant. If that description does not fit your lifestyle, forget about the ratings, they don't apply to you.

The rankings originated for the purpose of calculating the cost of keeping a diplomat or embassy staffer in an overseas posting. The cities listed were only the capitals, which is where the diplomats lived. Most of them are still based on pretty much the same kinds of criteria They were expanded to include personnel posted overseas by corporations or NGOs..

I'd like to know who went to Maseru, Lesotho, to check the priced of 50,000 or 400 or 160, items, however many it really is. Or how they decide which non-capitals they also survey. Using 133 cities leaves about 50 countries never even wondered about. It probably includes less than half the word's nations.

Also, using New York as a base, it is completely meaningless to any Ameridcan user, who has no idea of the cost of anything is in NYC.

I call baloney, no matter how they try to wiggle off the hook.

Last edited by cebuan; 03-16-2018 at 07:59 AM..

Old 03-16-2018, 08:32 AM

8,866 posts, read 8,448,789 times
London is so much more expensive than Paris.

Old 03-16-2018, 07:55 PM

1,475 posts, read 1,346,155 times
I notice that private school fees are included. But which private schools? A lot of kids in Sydney go to private schools, mostly to pretty 'normal' or 'typical' schools that are run by religious organizations that charge fairly modest fees. But there are 'exclusive' private schools that cater to the ultra rich and internationally connected. Their fees, for course, are certainly not anywhere close to 'normal' or 'typical'. So which are included in the survey? An average would be a pretty nonsensical measure for most people.

Old 03-17-2018, 07:45 AM

233 posts, read 172,719 times
I honestly don't know how they come up with the list. I remember when they ranked two Swiss cities as the most expensive in the world (Zurich and Geneva) back in 2015. I was spending time in Oslo which was ranked also highly but below the Swiss cities. I flew down to Geneva to meet with a friend and was shocked with how everything seemed a lot cheaper than Oslo .... Food, drinks, etc.

Go figure.

When it comes to property, Monte Carlo, Hong Kong and Singapore are probably the most expensive cities in the world. And really, real estate is the most expensive part about living in a city.

Old 03-26-2018, 12:01 AM

671 posts, read 854,561 times
I was looking for Hong Kong, London and New York....

Quote:

1. Singapore, Singapore
2. Paris, France
3. Zurich, Switzerland
4. Hong Kong, Hong Kong
5. Oslo, Norway
6. Geneva, Switzerland
7. Seoul, South Korea
8. Copenhagen, Denmark
9. Tel Aviv, Israel
10. Sydney, Australia

I have my doubts...

What are your thoughts?

Old 03-28-2018, 04:21 AM

9,367 posts, read 14,313,867 times
Quote:

1. Singapore, Singapore
2. Paris, France
3. Zurich, Switzerland
4. Hong Kong, Hong Kong
5. Oslo, Norway
6. Geneva, Switzerland
7. Seoul, South Korea
8. Copenhagen, Denmark
9. Tel Aviv, Israel
10. Sydney, Australia

I have my doubts...

What are your thoughts?

Your doubts are well founded and opinion valuable, especially to you!

As other posters have alluded to, these surveys are based on the compilers' basket of goods and services and often dependent on exchange rates which can fluctuate significantly over the course of a year.

With some effort, you could compile your own set of statistics and come up with your own ranking based on your own objectives and circumstances. I did it 6-7 years ago comparing Rome, Manhattan, San Francisco and Miami; one of the surprise results was that San Francisco was even more expensive than Manhattan, based on my criteria.

Take these surveys mass published in rags like The Economist as a rough guide, then modify them to fit your circumstances.

Good Luck!

Old 03-31-2018, 04:03 PM

8,489 posts, read 6,894,642 times
A lot of these most expensive city ratings are premised on the cost of living for the ex pat community. Many local people live quite reasonably. In Singapore for instance citizens have state subsidized housing. There is also relatively cheap efficient public transportation to avoid the cost of auto ownership. And there is subsidized health care for the elderly and low income people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World