Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: More racially integrated?
U.S 36 53.73%
U.K 31 46.27%
Voters: 67. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2019, 02:33 PM

4,401 posts, read 4,295,321 times

Advertisements

I've heard people say the U.K is almost as diverse as the U.S. I was surprised at how diverse London was. I'm wondered which is better integrated overall. Obviously this isn't about demographic numbers, I know on paper the U.S is still more diverse. However what area do people of different races and background get along with each other the best. Which is less segregated and has less racial tension? I realize that this can vary greatly based on specific regions of the two countries. But overall which is better?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2019, 03:45 PM

27 posts, read 21,099 times
London might be better integrated than most American cities, but on the whole I'd still say the U.S. Mainly because its suburbs are much more diverse.

Old 02-01-2019, 03:54 PM

6,115 posts, read 3,089,753 times
My brother in law who studied and worked in UK for 10 odd years, recently immigrated to United States.
According to him, racism in United States is at a whole new level.

Old 02-01-2019, 04:16 PM

27,575 posts, read 28,673,621 times
It is about the numbers.

In the United States, blacks are 12% of the population and Hispanics are 17% of the population.

In the United Kingdom, blacks are 3% of the population.

The United Kingdom prevents lower-class, uneducated nonwhite people from immigrating to their country in large numbers.

Old 02-01-2019, 04:20 PM

4,401 posts, read 4,295,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
It is about the numbers.

In the United States, blacks are 12% of the population and Hispanics are 17% of the population.

The United Kingdom prevents lower-class, uneducated nonwhite people from immigrating to their country in large numbers.
Is it really that low? I figured it was 6 or 7 percent.

Old 02-01-2019, 04:33 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,394,395 times
In the US, like so many other things, it depends on where you are.

Some places like Los Angeles are very diverse but are actually quite segregated. Other places like Long Beach and Oakland are very diverse and much more integrated.

Old 02-01-2019, 04:42 PM

839 posts, read 735,278 times
In the UK, "racism" generally is towards Eastern Europeans, especially Polish, Romanians, and Bulgarians. I put racism in quotes as they are all White European, so not really based on race. Xenophobia is probably a better description. Blacks and South Asians have generally integrated well into the wider society.

That being said, based from what I've seen:
Canada > UK > US > Australia

Old 02-01-2019, 05:05 PM

5,428 posts, read 3,498,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovelondon View Post
In the UK, "racism" generally is towards Eastern Europeans, especially Polish, Romanians, and Bulgarians. I put racism in quotes as they are all White European, so not really based on race. Xenophobia is probably a better description. Blacks and South Asians have generally integrated well into the wider society.

That being said, based from what I've seen:
Canada > UK > US > Australia
When was the last time you went to Australia? I agree that Canada is on top though.

Old 02-01-2019, 10:49 PM

3,602 posts, read 2,309,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milky Way Resident View Post
When was the last time you went to Australia? I agree that Canada is on top though.
It seems some of the posters here believe that Australians are both ignorant and racist. Nice to be so popular!

Old 02-01-2019, 11:29 PM

4,593 posts, read 9,199,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
It is about the numbers.

This really comes down to just London representing the diversity of the UK, since that is where the bulk of the country's foreign population resides.

Over half of the near 2 million UK blacks live in London alone, a city that is 13% black and is larger than NYC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World