Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2021, 02:11 PM

8,373 posts, read 4,388,978 times

Advertisements

Normally, I do not post on this sub-forum, or even read it, but I guess it is the best place to ask this question of world travelers: which are your favorite cities in the world, and (briefly) why?

While I have traveled quite a bit, I still have a lot that I need to explore (I just retired last year at 60, and reside in the US, though am not American-born), so the topic is of great interest to me. I don't think I can put the following cities in any very precise order (ie, if you asked me on a different day, I would maybe order them differently :-), but everything on my list is very close to my heart.

1. Kathmandu (Nepal)

2. Buenos Aires (Argentina)

3. London (England)

4. Vienna (Austria)
4a. Budapest (Hungary)

5. Amsterdam (Netherlands)

6. Brussels (Belgium)

7. Singapore

8. Los Angeles (US)

9. Honolulu (US)

10. Bangkok (Thailand)

11. Hong Kong (China)

12. Tokyo (Japan)

13. Tel Aviv (Israel)
------------

Honorable mention ("smaller cities" from global perspective):

14. Boston (US) - where I live!

15. Vancouver (Canada)

In terms of "why", I like places that (A) have strong, living continuity with the past, (B) where a lot of very different people mix (most frequently for reasons like traditional trade/commerce, but then also for some specific interests like international mountaineering in Kathmandu, or entertainment business like Los Angeles). The cities on my list also tend to be (C) populated by polite people, and safe from crime, or at least have large safe parts of the city. Some of the cities have (D) tropical or subtropical climate (which I personally like), and dramatic natural settings.

I would have put Paris (France), New York City and San Francisco (US) also in the list, but all three have to me very offputting atmosphere of crime in the air all the time, and NYC has been to my eyes greatly architecturally damaged with all the new faceless glass construction.

I was debating putting the last two (Boston, Vancouver) in the list, because they are kind of smaller/regional. For the same reason I did not include two definitelly small/regional US cities that I like a lot (Santa Fe, NM, and if you can believe it, Pittsburgh, PA!), or Montreal (Canada).

Of course, there are many other cities that I don't know very well or at all, which is why I started the thread, to find out more. Your choices?

Last edited by elnrgby; 06-30-2021 at 02:51 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2021, 08:40 PM

2,340 posts, read 2,286,565 times
Great list, you picked some good ones!

Out of the cities I’ve visited, here are my top choices:

1. Barcelona
2. San Francisco
3. Los Angeles
4. Rome
5. Florence
6. Seattle
7. Seville
8. Bangkok
9. Madrid
10. Boston
11. Washington, DC
12. Miami
13. Milan

I like vibrant cities or cities with a lot of old world charm. Scenery is a major plus too. Some cities, like Bangkok and Miami, are just very vibrant. Others, like Florence, are exclusively old world. Barcelona is amazing because it has both, plus it is on the beach and has mountains nearby.

I didn’t really care for London or NYC. Tokyo and Seoul were sort of boring. The Swiss cities looked great to live in, but boring.

Old 07-01-2021, 11:41 PM

295 posts, read 355,688 times
1. Islamabad, Pakistan (2nd most beautiful capital in the world)
2. London, England (unique)
3. Los Angeles
4. New York City
5. Dubai, United Arab Emirates
6. Seattle
7. Philadelphia
8. Paris, France
9. Washington, DC
10. Las Vegas

I found Portland to be the most boring city. Also want to visit Australia & Turkey next.

Old 07-02-2021, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FL_Expert View Post
Great list, you picked some good ones!

Out of the cities I’ve visited, here are my top choices:

1. Barcelona
2. San Francisco
3. Los Angeles
4. Rome
5. Florence
6. Seattle
7. Seville
8. Bangkok
9. Madrid
10. Boston
11. Washington, DC
12. Miami
13. Milan

I like vibrant cities or cities with a lot of old world charm. Scenery is a major plus too. Some cities, like Bangkok and Miami, are just very vibrant. Others, like Florence, are exclusively old world. Barcelona is amazing because it has both, plus it is on the beach and has mountains nearby.

I didn’t really care for London or NYC. Tokyo and Seoul were sort of boring. The Swiss cities looked great to live in, but boring.

Cool, thanks for responding... just as I was getting disappointed about the lack of interest in this topic :-). I see that we have some overlap in our favorites. I visited Spain and much of the rest of Europe as a child (I lived in South-Eastern Europe til my early 20s, which would be equal to the early 1980s) as my parents toured the continent when my country of origin opened its borders for travel in 1964... I do have various foggy memories of that, but I was too small to have a concept of a specific country or city, so I don't even know what memories might be from where. So, I can't say that I have any real impression or memory of Spain (I had not visited since), but I have it on my list to make a trip to Madrid/Toledo, with extension to Sevilla/Cordoba/Granada, which I think I will probably enjoy since I like Buenos Aires so much, as well as remnants of Spanish traditions in California and New Mexico.

Other Mediterranean countries are somehow not that overwhelmingly interesting to me (since I am familiar with the setting, ie, spent the first 20 or so of my summers on the coast of Croatia), but, speaking of Spain, I'd like to also spend some time in Balearic, and even Canary, Islands. I'll leave that for my really old age, when I'll probably be mostly interested in escaping the winter in the Northeast of the US, and sitting somewhere in the sun, looking at the blue bay, and smelling the oleander :-).

Last edited by elnrgby; 07-02-2021 at 08:28 AM..

Old 07-02-2021, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LakersWon310 View Post
1. Islamabad, Pakistan (2nd most beautiful capital in the world)
2. London, England (unique)
3. Los Angeles
4. New York City
5. Dubai, United Arab Emirates
6. Seattle
7. Philadelphia
8. Paris, France
9. Washington, DC
10. Las Vegas

I found Portland to be the most boring city. Also want to visit Australia & Turkey next.

I've heard about some places in Pakistan, but I wouldn't feel safe traveling there with my US passport. Ditto for some countries on the old Silk Road (chiefly Uzbekistan) which I always wanted to visit, but regrettably I don't think that will be safe in my lifetime.

Old 07-02-2021, 09:42 AM

1,013 posts, read 911,831 times
My fav large cities:

1. NYC
2. Mexico City
3. Montreal
4. London
5. Washington DC

Old 07-02-2021, 10:23 AM

12,163 posts, read 8,002,089 times
1. Lisbon Portugal
2. Paris
3. Munich
4. Chicago
5. Boston
6. Amsterdam
7. Salzburg, AU
8. Seattle
9. Vienna
10. Prague

Old 07-02-2021, 11:00 AM

23,531 posts, read 24,022,219 times
My favorites:

New York, Vancouver, Singapore, Seattle, Chicago, Washington DC, London, Hong Kong, Osaka, San Francisco, Los Angeles, Montreal, Tokyo, Paris, Honolulu, Sydney, and Boston.

I enjoy vibrant cities with arts, culture, scenery, solid restaurant scene, etc. There are cities I haven’t had a chance to visit yet and will visit in the future.

Old 07-13-2021, 05:57 AM

323 posts, read 260,222 times
1. London
2. Istanbul
3. Madrid
4. Paris
5. Chicago
6. Tokyo
7. Sydney
8. Montreal
9. New York
10. Washington DC

Old 07-16-2021, 02:18 PM

12,163 posts, read 8,002,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
1. Lisbon Portugal
2. Paris
3. Munich
4. Chicago
5. Boston
6. Amsterdam
7. Salzburg, AU
8. Seattle
9. Vienna
10. Prague
Imma just slide Madrid above Chicago real quick.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World