Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2009, 12:50 PM

5,002 posts, read 12,362,151 times

Advertisements

Chicago style pizzas are #1 in the world.

In a related note, Japanese pizzas are the worst, except in little specialty stores.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2009, 08:21 PM

4,085 posts, read 8,789,213 times
Hoboken, Jersey. 'Nuff said.

Old 04-27-2009, 07:26 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,630,992 times
I cannot believe I am the only one with Crisp444 who mentions Italy as the best place for Pizzas ? Has the world gone mad ?!

Old 04-27-2009, 07:40 AM

10,782 posts, read 8,729,295 times
Il Padrino in Perth, Australia. The best. Nunzio Nici is the owner, pizza maker. He built the wood-fired oven with his own hands.

So good he was judged the best in the world by the Sicilian Pizza Association. He was asked to make pizza for the Pope. The last one. Pavarotti too.

Little dive, not fancy. Amazing pizza. I've had it in NYC, Chicago, Italy. Sorry, close but no cigar. Nunzio makes pizza good enough for the angels.

Old 04-27-2009, 02:18 PM

1,107 posts, read 3,022,218 times
sorry heres the website again
Why is New York City Pizza the Best in the Country? - 92Y Blog - 92nd Street Y - New York, NY

Old 04-28-2009, 10:09 PM

63 posts, read 194,775 times
According to Barack Obama, 'Pi'(π) in St. Louis is the world's best.....Its pretty solid..but nothing beats brick oven Neapolitan style..wherever its made.

Old 04-28-2009, 10:43 PM

5,002 posts, read 12,362,151 times
On a separate note: St. Louis style pizza is the worst. Doughy crust with provel cheese ... Velveeta and Provolone. Whoever thought of such an evil combination should be shot.

Come to think of it ... has anything delicious come out of St. Louis? There's provel cheese chewy pizza that tastes like cardboard, there's the yellow water that is Budweiser (note: it only tastes good right when it's brewed).

Old 04-28-2009, 10:50 PM

63 posts, read 194,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eskercurve View Post
On a separate note: St. Louis style pizza is the worst. Doughy crust with provel cheese ... Velveeta and Provolone. Whoever thought of such an evil combination should be shot.

Come to think of it ... has anything delicious come out of St. Louis? There's provel cheese chewy pizza that tastes like cardboard, there's the yellow water that is Budweiser (note: it only tastes good right when it's brewed).
'Pi' is anti provel...they literally wear shirts with 'Provel' Crossed out a la the non smoking sign...because its pizza that happens to be made in st. louis..it isn't 'st. louis' style pizza. Much like you can find New York style pizza in Chicago, and Deep Dish in New York.

...Also, the 'Barack Obama' comment should be taken with a hint of sarcasm...

..Admittedly, I do enjoy STL style pizza...shame on me...Budweiser....its like intercourse in a canoe, "f***ing near water".

Old 04-29-2009, 02:03 AM
Yac

6,051 posts, read 7,729,877 times
I'm a big pizza fan, and before my visit to Italy I had VERY high expectations. And what I've found was .... well, not wanting to violate the tos I have to say it wasn't very good. Maybe I was expecting too much, but during the 10 days I spent there I visited 6 pizza places, all small, family run restaurants. And the pizza was mediocre at best.
Maybe I was simply unlucky ? I'd like to think that ...
As for the best pizza - has anyone tried Polish pizza ? Sounds silly, I know But if you have the chance to try it out, a pizza with Kielbasa and thin slices of pickled cucumber is surprisingly good!
Yac.

Old 04-29-2009, 04:18 AM

9,367 posts, read 14,313,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yac View Post
I'm a big pizza fan, and before my visit to Italy I had VERY high expectations. And what I've found was .... well, not wanting to violate the tos I have to say it wasn't very good. Maybe I was expecting too much, but during the 10 days I spent there I visited 6 pizza places, all small, family run restaurants. And the pizza was mediocre at best.
Maybe I was simply unlucky ? I'd like to think that ...
As for the best pizza - has anyone tried Polish pizza ? Sounds silly, I know But if you have the chance to try it out, a pizza with Kielbasa and thin slices of pickled cucumber is surprisingly good!
Yac.
I am not surprised and I agree that pizza in restaurants in Italy is not very good. You have to go family-run bakeries, not restaurants. Read my previous post carefully.

And I am also not surprised that the majority of posters have cited places outside of Italy.

Most of the "traditional" pizza that people outside of Italy know originated from people, mainly Neopolitans and Sicilians, who emigrated around a century ago.

Since the 1990s at least, most of that tradition in Italy has died out, especially in the north, and with the possible exception of parts of Sicily, maybe Naples, which are not the usual tourist destinations. You sort of have to live there for a while or know the locals to help you find the right bakeries, maybe the exceptional trattoria or pizza restaurant.

What part of Italy did you go to?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World