Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-22-2009, 08:31 AM

3,425 posts, read 6,310,013 times

Advertisements

I am spending my Memorial Day weekend in Chicago and although I have been there a few times, I always leave thinking "Geez, how can people live in a city like this?" Overall, it is a good city but very chaotic and I have had quite a few bad experiences in Chicago! I have met some of the rudest people in Chicago and drivers are very aggressive. Also, we get a lot of criminals from Chicago that flee Illinois to "start a new life" here in Minnesota and that has really impacted our city negatively. On a positive note, they make great pizza, it is a great sports town and it is a fun place to be in the Summer. Chicago winters are almost as miserable as winters here in Minneapolis What are/were your impressions of Chicago?

Old 05-22-2009, 08:40 AM

4,079 posts, read 10,397,265 times
Minnesota shouldn't have such a generous welfare system- it would keep some of those problem people out

Old 05-22-2009, 08:46 AM

3,047 posts, read 9,034,911 times
Okay, Chicago is what it is. I live there and am there now because I work there too. When you fly to Vegas or Miami, you can feel the vibe of a city. I hate flying back into Chicago because the vibe is real serious/business like aka no fun at all. The city has a lot of fun things to do but it masks all of its' troubles on the south and west sides by pumping millions of dollars into the loop for things such as tulips and new projects at Millenium Park.

I think Chicago is the perfect place to live provided you have money and live in great environment plus it has to be summer.

Chicago weather, for 6 months, is cold. And the people are colder. Seriously, the city is filled with gang bangers and crime. Same with its' suburbs. Of course Chicagoans warm up to you after you meet them but at first they are colder than North Dakota in January.

I don't really like Chicago because of its' corrupt politics and residents who seem to struggle to put a smile on their face or make it through the day. Of course, if you have money, all of this goes away...*POOF!*

So, if you have millions or want to visit in summer...Chicago is the best city in the world. But for the majority of its' residents it is a tough place to live with more harm than good.

Old 05-22-2009, 09:15 AM

6,560 posts, read 14,461,907 times
I've always gotten along well with Chicagoans professionally and personally, but I doubt that would extend to wanting to live there. Seems like most cities may have corruption, but at least the people are outraged by it. In Chicago it seems more like they'd rather sell tickets to it. I don't understand the acceptance of corruption. Maybe after it's been that way at a long time, that's where one goes mentally.

Old 05-22-2009, 09:20 AM

3,047 posts, read 9,034,911 times
j_k_k, it's the same thing with the feds. We all turn a blind eye to their poor decisions. We get used to it after a while. Chicagoans have known nothing but corruption for decades. Look at how many Illinois governors have gone to prison or are about to. Like you said, it happens so much that chicagoans believe it is fruitless to ever think it will change.

Old 05-22-2009, 09:26 AM

6,560 posts, read 14,461,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by At1WithNature View Post
j_k_k, it's the same thing with the feds. We all turn a blind eye to their poor decisions. We get used to it after a while. Chicagoans have known nothing but corruption for decades. Look at how many Illinois governors have gone to prison or are about to. Like you said, it happens so much that chicagoans believe it is fruitless to ever think it will change.
I suppose you're right. We're in a cycle of bad government nationally that has all but inoculated itself against any chance of becoming good government. The only thing that could improve it now involves nooses and lampposts and mobs with torches that are numerous enough to defy police and National Guard alike; no one cares enough to do that. Maybe it's the same in Chicago, just on a smaller scale. Maybe, in a sense, Chicago is America's most American city. Rather than stress about how rotten and stupid government is, it just gets about its business of making a living. Maybe it's where we all are going.

Old 05-22-2009, 07:40 PM

4,282 posts, read 15,749,873 times
How about we keep the Chicago discussions over in the Chicago forum?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World