Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-10-2010, 10:16 PM

59 posts, read 234,396 times

Advertisements

There are a lot of nations in the world, and a lot of different cultures. All people communicate differently. How are people the country where you live now different from people in your home country or in the country where you lived before? What are the main differences? What kind of communication problems and misunderstanding have you encountered after you moved to foreign country where you live now?
Let talk about differences in communication.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2010, 06:38 PM

3,786 posts, read 5,331,294 times
Are you talking about face-to-face communication, or the electronic type (cell phone, internet, FaceSpace, etc.)?

I work in a culture that is extremely non-confrontational. This is pleasant in some respects, but makes it difficult to achieve tasks. They place relationship ABOVE task completion, so, few tasks are completed. And there is a strong aversion to responsibility, so they like to make themselves the top managers, and push ALL responsibility downwards. Thus, if you get assigned a task, it can be difficult to complete since the others don't want to assist and will undermine your attempts. But the undermining will be passive, and behind-the-back, because they don't like confrontation, eh?

Old 03-12-2010, 02:57 PM

I mean face-tot-face communicatins. Let me ask you where do you live?

Old 03-12-2010, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlusPlus View Post
I mean face-tot-face communicatins. Let me ask you where do you live?
Malaysia. Three major races here: Malay, Chinese, Tamil (south Indian).

Old 03-13-2010, 04:06 PM

Oh, should be very different than US. I have never been in Asia.

Old 03-13-2010, 05:52 PM

Very different. Asian culture is very face oriented, and said to be polite. This means one must attempt to save the face (reputation) of the person with whom you are talking. For example, if Wan has not yet completed his project task, and you are the task leader, you must make Wan aware of the fact that he is not yet done, but you cannot come out directly and say that. You have to imply it in a round about way.

The Wrong Way:
Me: "Wan, why are you not yet done with your task?"
Wan: "Oh, sorry," hahahahaha. (Laughing rarely means something is funny; it is more a nervous laugh that says- Don't make me lose face.)

The Correct Way:
Me: "Wan, we are planning on presenting our project to the bosses next week. What do you think of that idea?"
Wan: "Oh, good idea [he wouldn't say NO, that would make me lose face], I will have my part done by then."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World