Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2017, 12:33 PM

208 posts, read 47,086 times

Advertisements

Ive recently developed an interest in wanting to write. I'm not even sure what I'd write about but just the idea interest me. I've always wrote things down. I've always kept a journal, a planner, always been a pen fanatic and had them in every color. I'm a busy mom and wife of two 11 years a part so I would probably write about mom life or something if that nature. My question is I'm 33 and just now developing an interest in wanting to write. Is this normal? Am I too old to start this new adventure?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2017, 12:42 PM

1,376 posts, read 2,167,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BusyMamaJen View Post
Ive recently developed an interest in wanting to write. I'm not even sure what I'd write about but just the idea interest me. I've always wrote things down. I've always kept a journal, a planner, always been a pen fanatic and had them in every color. I'm a busy mom and wife of two 11 years a part so I would probably write about mom life or something if that nature. My question is I'm 33 and just now developing an interest in wanting to write. Is this normal? Am I too old to start this new adventure?
You could start a blog. Or did you mean handwriting, as you've mentioned liking to write in pens of different colours?

I'm a bit puzzled as to what makes you wonder if you're too old. What are you really worried about? I mean, I can see someone asking if they're too old to take up professional hockey, because their speed and agility are affected by their age. Writing, on the other hand, well, I'm just not sure how being 33 would factor into that, in a negative way. Can you explain your concerns a bit more?

And I don't mean to be cheeky but you should check out the highlighted word above, and fix it

Old 04-19-2017, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vectoris View Post
You could start a blog. Or did you mean handwriting, as you've mentioned liking to write in pens of different colours?

I'm a bit puzzled as to what makes you wonder if you're too old. What are you really worried about? I mean, I can see someone asking if they're too old to take up professional hockey, because their speed and agility are affected by their age. Writing, on the other hand, well, I'm just not sure how being 33 would factor into that, in a negative way. Can you explain your concerns a bit more?

And I don't mean to be cheeky but you should check out the highlighted word above, and fix it
I told my husband of my interest in wanting to write and he said it wasn't a good idea. He said I've never had any interest in writing so why start now. So I guess what I'm trying to say is... is writing something that you do for years and years starting at an early age? Or can someone start to write at any age? It may sound like a silly thing to you but it's something that I really would like to know. My husbands words have a huge affect on me and my decisions so I've been questioning whether this is a good idea for me. A blog would be awesome to start as well!

What highlighted word are you referring to? I'm lost.

Old 04-19-2017, 04:30 PM

10,213 posts, read 14,841,188 times
At 33, you are barely getting to the age where you have enough meaningful experience to have something to write about. It will also take time to develop your writing skills. The notion that you are too old is silly. How old will you be in a few years, if you choose NOT to write?

Many people don't get around to writing books until they retire and have the free time (I just published my first full-length, nonfiction Christian book at 70 - see: UCanKnowTheTruth.com). Anytime you do something new in life, you are doing something you haven't done before.

I can respect the influence of your husband on your decision, but, he is not the one who will be doing the writing, is he? However, if you are overly influenced by what other people say/think, you may not find yourself suited to writing. It's difficult and often discouraging work -- and requires discipline and an ability to accept and learn from constructive criticism.

It's also important to understand why you are writing (as well as what you are writing about). Writing is only a significant money-maker for well-established authors with a 'platform.' If, in spite of these things, you still feel that compulsive itch to write - you will only know what your capabilities might become - if you try!

Last edited by jghorton; 04-19-2017 at 04:43 PM..

Old 04-19-2017, 05:52 PM

6,631 posts, read 13,547,807 times
I was expecting you to say you were in your 80's! If you want to write, write. Write for yourself first and pay no attention to what anyone else thinks. Don't worry about money or publication. Write and enjoy yourself.

Old 04-19-2017, 09:47 PM

23,603 posts, read 70,446,439 times
My wife wrote from childhood to her death. I have twelve file boxes full of her journals.

There is value in writing. You may have challenges with tenses or the grammar, but that is not important when writing for growth. I encourage you to write, and if your hubby don' like it, tough. He ain't you. If you accept that nonsense, demand that he not watch tv or go to bars.

Old 04-20-2017, 06:32 AM

Thank y'all so much for all of the encouragement. I think I'm going to go for it! I just have to figure out my best writing time. I may have to get up 30 minutes early to write in the mornings since the night time is so crazy in our home.

Old 04-20-2017, 07:52 AM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,566,007 times
And don't be discouraged by your first attempts at writing - it is a skill to be learned, honed and polished.

Old 04-20-2017, 08:00 AM

4,614 posts, read 3,306,005 times
And don't forget the early Harry Potter books were written in a coffee shop/cafe in Edinburgh. You can write anywhere. If your husband doesn't like you writing at home, do it somewhere else. If you want to do it - you are not too old! Any age is great for starting to write.

Old 04-20-2017, 09:26 AM

626 posts, read 903,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BusyMamaJen View Post
What!! Get cracking lady. You're never too old to follow your passion. Start off with a blog and let your creative juices flow. Don't think about it too much. Good luck and all the best
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing