Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-03-2012, 08:51 PM

307 posts, read 981,280 times

Advertisements

Greetings folks. I visited the lovely community of Sheridan a couple of months ago when I was on my way to Montana with possible relocation in mind. I, however liked Sheridan so much that I ended up returning there from Montana to stay a few days and consider relocating to Sheridan.

As far as I could tell through my investigation, Sheridan seems like a good fit for me based on my criteria. There are a few stones left unturned however.

I have a couple of questions for locals. I am an active musician and want to get back into a Traditional Country Music band that would play venues such as Dancehalls, Honky-Tonks, Cowboy Bars etc. etc. Are there any opportunities like that in Sheridan or surrounding cities/towns or across Wyoming in that respect?

Also, I would like to know if there is much work opportunities in agriculture there regarding Equine and/or Cattle Ranching? I know that there are lots of ranches in the area, but do any of them hire for work regularly and are they open to those with limited experience?

Lastly, I thoroughly was entranced by the Big Horns. I look forward to camping, fishing, hiking etc. Do you know if there is much Forest Service work available there, or in state parks in the area? Does Sheridan College provide post educational opportunities for work in the Mountains?

Thank you for your time. I greatly enjoyed my visit to this wonderful Wyoming community. I have always been a fan of Wyoming life and am now enjoying the possibility of relocating there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2012, 07:55 AM

3,650 posts, read 3,787,156 times
I have a couple of questions for locals. I am an active musician and want to get back into a Traditional Country Music band that would play venues such as Dancehalls, Honky-Tonks, Cowboy Bars etc. etc. Are there any opportunities like that in Sheridan or surrounding cities/towns or across Wyoming in that respect? I, too, play (though not very well) and there is music going on all the time. From casual jam sessions to local and out of state bands. The after hour sessions are a blast and the variety of musicianship we get is good.

Also, I would like to know if there is much work opportunities in agriculture there regarding Equine and/or Cattle Ranching? I know that there are lots of ranches in the area, but do any of them hire for work regularly and are they open to those with limited experience? There are ranch jobs, some will take on an inexperienced worker, if you are willing to start by doing anything and working hard. That may cut into your music time, though. In fact, I can gaurantee it will. Not much in the way of horse ranches. The few that focus on that hire few people.

Lastly, I thoroughly was entranced by the Big Horns. I look forward to camping, fishing, hiking etc. Do you know if there is much Forest Service work available there, or in state parks in the area? Does Sheridan College provide post educational opportunities for work in the Mountains? Seasonal work at mountain lodges is available. Very little year round work. The website wyomingatwork.com may have something. I don't know if the college posts mountain jobs. Even many of the Forest Service jobs are seasonal. But, again, that work isn't your usual 40 hour week and will cut into recreation big time.

It is possible to piece together a living here. Please consider that even if you have to live a bit further away, many mountainy areas are within driving distance for day trips and brief vacations.

Thank you for your time. I greatly enjoyed my visit to this wonderful Wyoming community. I have always been a fan of Wyoming life and am now enjoying the possibility of relocating there.

Old 08-09-2012, 06:31 PM

branDcalf: Thanks for your info. That was very helpful. I am still considering moving to the area, but want to be sure that there is work available regularly in the ranching, equine etc. business. Music is definitely an important factor but I do understand that it must take a backseat to work and other interests.

If you or ANYONE has any advice on a better area in Wyoming for ranch work (cattle, Horses etc.) but still in proximity to mountains and a city with ammenities such as Sheridan, please feel free to give it.

Old 08-09-2012, 06:39 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,074,203 times
Have you looked over www.wyomingatwork.com yet? This is all of the employment offices in the state so you might find something there. You might check the Ag Reporter or other ranch magazines.

Old 08-09-2012, 07:21 PM

3,650 posts, read 3,787,156 times
Tri-State News, Wyoming Livestock Roundup and Ranch World Ads also have helped wanted ads.

Old 08-10-2012, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElkHunter View Post
Have you looked over www.wyomingatwork.com yet? This is all of the employment offices in the state so you might find something there. You might check the Ag Reporter or other ranch magazines.
Yes, I did look through that website shortly, mainly for the Sheridan area, but will pour over it in more depth. I will have to look into the other two you mentioned as well. Thanks for the links! I appreciate your advice.

Old 08-10-2012, 09:10 PM

3,649 posts, read 6,295,326 times
Ads -

Old 08-11-2012, 07:46 PM

Are any of you familiar with the Winters on the Front Range of Colo. from Denver to Fort Collins? If so, how do they compare to Sheridan? Severity, length of Winter, cold, snow etc. Does I 25 northbound or southbound ever close down? If so, how often? Thanks...

Old 08-11-2012, 08:12 PM

11,556 posts, read 53,199,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by countryway View Post
Are any of you familiar with the Winters on the Front Range of Colo. from Denver to Fort Collins? If so, how do they compare to Sheridan? Severity, length of Winter, cold, snow etc. Does I 25 northbound or southbound ever close down? If so, how often? Thanks...
I'm very familiar with living on the Front Range, from Boulder down through the Denver area, and the Ft Collins through to Cheyenne stretch.

The winters along the Front Range are roughly comparable to Sheridan in severity and length, cold, snow, etc. The altitude is high enough that the storm fronts blow through, perhaps leave some snow, and then the sun and dry air combination clears a lot of it. Being further North, Sheridan's day length is somewhat shorter than Denver's. The coldest time of a 24 hour cycle is typically those few hours just before sun-up, and a longer nightime means more cooling. Upslope and Downslope storm conditions can happen all along the Front Range and up along the continental divide through to Montana.

I've been through major snowstorms in the area that shut the Denver region down for days ... as early as Halloween, later around Christmas, even later into the winter in Jan/Feb/Mar. I've seen I-25 & I-80 shut down for a couple days further north in the Cheyenne area (and points East and West) in mid April snowstorms. And I've seen years where we were wondering when the snow was going to at least cover the yard a little bit, traffic was rarely interrupted ....

I-25 certainly gets shut down ... how often? depends upon the conditions. Some years, not too many days, some years ... it's frequent. Your guess as to what will happen this next winter is as good as anybody's ....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
View detailed profiles of: