Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2013, 10:25 PM

11 posts, read 45,985 times

Advertisements

Did'nt quite get my last question up before the thread was closed, but was told that I should always check 511 for conditions and PAY ATTENTION To THE WINDSPEED before going on my trek across Wyoming I80 in a 21-ft UHaul towing truck my car in a auto-transport,,,GOOD ADVICE! But what speed should I be concerned with...anything above 40?....45?....50?

The trailor is going to be loaded pretty good, and I'II have my PT Cruiser on the auto-transport.

Kind regards,

Steve
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2013, 10:45 PM

3,647 posts, read 3,783,245 times
If it's blowing even a steady 35, you'll know it. Part of the thing is there will be gusts. Watch the car(s) ahead of you. Pay attention and you'll quickly know when to anticipate a bunch of them.

One way some of us know an out-of-stater is ahead is because they are swerving because of the wind. When my kids started driving the interstates, they drove a bit slower until they got used to not fighting the wheel.

There are times when I've slowed to 50-55 mph while driving a two ton with a box on the back. I can't give you are formula. Maybe someone else can.

Old 02-26-2013, 07:29 AM

18,700 posts, read 42,050,843 times
That vehicle, no matter how you load it is considered "High Profile" and what you are pulling is a "Light Trailer".

Obviously you drive for conditions, but listen to the road advisories that mention either or both of those things.

You can't go by a particular wind speed as you won't be going the exact direction and it won't be at a set speed, all the time.

As mentioned, the problem is not the speed of the wind, it is the gusts and constantly changing direction.

The worst area for wind is from Laramie to Walcot Junction/Rawlins. That area is called the Arlington wind. tunnel. haha. That is not saying that is the only place that could have wind, that is just the area that is most likely.

Again, watch the 511 notify and pay close attention to any mention of "High Profile" or "Light Trailer".

Along a lot of Wyoming highways they mark particular spots of trouble with signs that say "Possible wind gusts" and it is usually accompanied by a wind sock. These are areas that draws or canyons open onto the highway and even if there is little wind where you are at, when yo pass that draw it may be gusting and the 500 yards further there is little or no wind again.

Old 02-26-2013, 07:38 AM

11,555 posts, read 53,167,692 times
The primary guidance you'll have is the WYDOT report. If the "advisories" portion state "no light trailers" or more restrictive than that (high profile vehicles advisory", then you've got a guideline to go by.

The real issue, more than the reported wind speed, is the gusts intensity and frequency. Driving in a steady wind in relatively easy, because it's a steady force upon the vehicle and can be compensated for. Recognize that driving against a steady headwind will adversely affect your vehicle's ability to maintain road speed and fuel economy will drop, sometimes dramatically; a high profile rig can easily lose 1/2 of it's normal fuel economy (conversely, when you get a tailwind, it gets significantly better mileage).

The gusts hammer the vehicle around, with sometimes instantaneous shifts in direction and velocity which must be reacted to. As posted above, it's prudent to watch the traffic around you to see where they're having to react to gusts. Sudden movements sideways in a lane are an indicator to you that it's a gusty area ahead. Keep in mind that the gust that hit a vehicle a couple of seconds in front of you may have dissipated by the time you get there, but the indication is that you are transiting a gusty area.

Consider, too, that driving a rig such as yours in these adverse conditions will be much more strenuous to do than simply driving your car down the road. Even with all the comforts, power, and assisted steering in the truck, you will put forth a lot more physical effort and mental involvement than normal driving. It pays to be on top of your driving with plenty of rest and stops as needed to take a break. If the prevailing wind direction is against your travel, plan on a slower achieved road speed for your day.

I've seen a lot of UHaul rigs struggling to keep 45-50 mph on I-80 against strong headwinds. Use the lower gears as needed; ie, if the truck has a top gear overdrive ratio, you may need to take it out of the top gear for some of the gentle grades against the wind. In stronger winds, you may even need to stay out of top gear on the flats.

Last edited by sunsprit; 02-26-2013 at 07:46 AM..

Old 02-26-2013, 09:54 AM

46 posts, read 211,131 times
I have been reading the Wyoming forum for a couple of months now as I prepare for relocation there from the east coast. Just wanted to say a big thank you to all the regular posters here. Your insights are a tremendous help.

I will be driving a moving truck out there in late spring so I will heed the advice on monitoring both weather conditions and speed.

The previous comment about 'high profile' vehicles made me wonder -- are there cars I should avoid purchasing in Wyoming. For instance, I plan to purchase either a Subaru Impreza hatchback or a Subaru Outback wagon. Obviously the Outback has a higher profile -- would I therefore 'hug the road' better in the Impreza?

(I will be making regular trips down I-25 to Ft Collins and Denver if that helps with your answer)

Old 02-26-2013, 12:36 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,050,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foyle View Post
I have been reading the Wyoming forum for a couple of months now as I prepare for relocation there from the east coast. Just wanted to say a big thank you to all the regular posters here. Your insights are a tremendous help.

I will be driving a moving truck out there in late spring so I will heed the advice on monitoring both weather conditions and speed.

The previous comment about 'high profile' vehicles made me wonder -- are there cars I should avoid purchasing in Wyoming. For instance, I plan to purchase either a Subaru Impreza hatchback or a Subaru Outback wagon. Obviously the Outback has a higher profile -- would I therefore 'hug the road' better in the Impreza?

(I will be making regular trips down I-25 to Ft Collins and Denver if that helps with your answer)
When you think of "High Profile" vehicles, think of things that catch wind worse than other vehicles. I wouldn't consider very many cars to fit that criteria. Most pickup trucks are fine also, unless then have been lifted rediculously. Vans (delivery type) can fall into the catagory of High Profile. Motorhomes are also High Profile. The Subaru's should be fine, although I haven't owned one, I have seen a lot of them out there on windy days.

Old 02-26-2013, 04:35 PM

46 posts, read 211,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElkHunter View Post
When you think of "High Profile" vehicles, think of things that catch wind worse than other vehicles. I wouldn't consider very many cars to fit that criteria. Most pickup trucks are fine also, unless then have been lifted rediculously. Vans (delivery type) can fall into the catagory of High Profile. Motorhomes are also High Profile. The Subaru's should be fine, although I haven't owned one, I have seen a lot of them out there on windy days.
I had hoped that any Subaru would be ok as I saw many of them in Colorado and Wyoming when I visited. Just thought I would ask for experienced opinions here on City Data. Thanks ElkHunter!

Old 02-26-2013, 06:40 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,230,068 times
"High profile" vehicles like pickup trucks and SUVs are very popular in Wyoming. I've noticed around my town that there seems to be more of them than there are traditional passenger cars. Weight has a lot to do with tracking well in windy conditions too. Little light-weight economy cars get blown around more than heavier cars, just like my skinny little wife sometimes feels like a kite when a gust of wind hits her. I don't have that problem! (Think bowling ball.)

The high profile vehicles that wydot is referring to is more like campers, Uhauls, etc., not SUVs. Subaru is a good choice for Wyoming.

Old 02-26-2013, 07:31 PM

11,555 posts, read 53,167,692 times
We've got hundreds of thousands of miles on Subie OBW's over the last 15 years. That was after driving Audi Quattro 4000CS cars, which were also stellar performers in the conditions out here. The Subies are every bit the equal to the Audi in adverse weather handling, and both ... IMO ... better than many other AWD systems on slick surfaces.

We prefer the OBW's to the Forester series ... the wagons are a lower profile but longer than the Forester's, and the interior volume is what we use for hauling stuff and livestock around. Either series, however, will do just fine around here.

Old 03-04-2013, 05:42 PM

357 posts, read 1,613,696 times
Things like RV's are probably some of the worst "high profile" vehicles, because they're big, flat-sided, light fiberglass boxes. In all my driving in the west in areas of high winds, I've never seen anything get as manhandled by the wind as RV's, especially tag-along trailer rigs. The 5th wheel rigs have a bit more authority, but not much when you start getting up to 30'+ rigs. The smaller fiberglass motorhomes are often some of the worst - they're terribly light.

Empty vans and trailers are worse than loaded, as long as the loaded rigs are loaded with the weight as low on the rig as possible.

I've seen box U-haul trailers rolled hundreds of yards out into the sagebrush, with the load-distributing hitch torn off the car that was hauling said trailer, out on Wyoming route 220 from Casper to Rawlins. I've seen 25'+ fiberglass fishing boats on trailers out in the sagebrush there too. I've been in a F-350 truck, 4WD, front axle engaged, with a loaded 24' gooseneck (that weighed 4000 lbs empty, and was loaded to 10,000lbs) and been pushed sideways off the road at 30 MPH on WY 220.

Your best option when you're caught out in the wind in a "high profile" vehicle in Wyoming is a) slow down, b) if the wind loading is too much for you to handle, pull over and stop. Just sitting off the side of the road, idling in winter, isn't a bad option when the alternatives are considered.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming