Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2014, 10:41 PM

20 posts, read 85,078 times

Advertisements

Greetings!

My wife and I are considering leaving Southern CA as we begin to hunt for jobs nation wide. There are a hand full of states that we are willing to relocate to if we cannot secure full time employment in CA. The list in order of preference is 1. Idaho 2. Montana 3. Wyoming 4. South Dakota 5. Oregon. Our primary reason for leaving is to secure full time employment in a state where we could actually afford to raise a family and own a decent amount of land without having to sell a kidney.

I currently make anywhere from $40,000 - $45,000 a year before taxes working two part time jobs as a community college instructor. Although this salary may seem like a lot it's actually quite a low paying salary considering that I work over 60 hour weeks (Any teachers here know exactly what I mean). There are very few full time positions opening up in CA and in most instances every time one of these positions opens up there are 2-3 Ph.D. holding individuals with more than 20 years of work experience applying for them. This is in addition to the other 200-300 applicants with similar qualifications to myself (I am not kidding it's almost always above 200 applicants). Now I am not saying that I do not have any work experience. I have a little over 2 years of teaching and undergraduate counseling experience as well as two Masters degrees one in Communication and another in Political Science.

My Wife has a slightly better work outlook than myself. She is currently finishing her B.S. in Public Health and has over 6 years of work experience in customer service and two years in a pharmacy / hospital office setting.

Anyhow back to my main point.

We are looking to move for the following reasons.

1. Crime rate is insane where we live. In fact, just last weekend I had to call 911 because a gang fight started right outside my house. One person was stabbed with a knife and rushed to the hospital while the police did little to nothing and were unsuccessful in finding the suspect (DESPITE ME CALLING THEM EVERY TIME I SEE THE GUY WALKING OUTSIDE). This happens at least 3-4 times a year. In addition to dealing with this our place is also being constantly vandalized. Every other day I paint over the nonsense that these "gangsters" leave on my fence and every other night they just spray it on again. I have been living in this situation for the past 4 years and I've just about had it as the state of CA does not legally allow me to do anything about it unless they literally enter my home with a weapon drawn. I would move somewhere else but the housing costs and rent in CA is insane. My wife and I rent half of a house and pay about $700/month. That is actually the cheapest I was able to find in the area. Even a 1 bedroom apartment in the worst neighborhood goes for around $1000/mo.

2. Following a Dream. My wife and I both dream of being able to raise a family in a place where we don't have to worry about our kids being stabbed on their way home from school or being introduced to gang activity from a very young age. Additionally we both wish to own a fair bit of land, plant our own crops and live (to a minor extent) as our grandparents did.

3. Housing prices - Already elaborated on this above.

I currently have saved up around $65,000 and am thinking about moving a year or so from now (depending on a lot of factors). I am expecting to have roughly $75,000 to make a down payment on a home with a fair amount of land. What we are looking for is the following.

1. At a minimum 1-2 acres of land no further than 35 min away from a major town / city (I'm aware that a major town in WY is anywhere from 6000-15,000 people and a city is often times less than 30,000).

2. Somewhere that I and my wife can both find employment. So there would have to be schools around. At a minimum high school but preferably a community college or University (i.e., Laramie).

3. Relatively safe and crime free area

4. Area where we could grow food on the land at least for the 3-4 months that the weather permits.

5. Somewhere that has access to electricity, gas, running water, and preferably at least a DSL quality connection ( I would need it for my job).

I would like to know if the above list is realistic? Any advice / comments you could provide would be appreciated greatly!

I am currently in the process of beginning my research on Wyoming. I hope I don't come off as entitled or snobby with my post (I know it can seem that way). I really just want to secure a decent life for me and my wife (and future kids) and feel as though I should be able to given my work experience and educational background.

Thanks for taking the time to read and I hope to get some good replies.

--- Also I should mention this. Wyoming ranked in the top 5 states in the U.S. for teachers and it ranked very high in salary comfort index as well.

http://www.teacherportal.com/teacher-salaries-by-state/

Last edited by calintz333; 02-07-2014 at 10:50 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2014, 11:01 PM

3,649 posts, read 6,292,578 times
Teacher Salaries By State | Average Salaries For Teachers | Beginning Salaries For Teachers | Teacher Raises | TeacherPortal.com

Old 02-07-2014, 11:19 PM

Thank you for that. I did post it at the end of my post though

Old 02-08-2014, 12:52 AM

opps didn't see the blue..... not many places you can live 35 miles out of town in Wyoming, it is either BLM, Forest Service or Private Ranch land.
lived on a Ranch just a few miles out side of Laramie when I went to college.... winter blizzards meant I missed a few classes even being that close.
In 2010 there were 5.8/Square Mile in the state.... most all of them in Cities and towns you can go 50 to 100 miles between town and maybe only pass a couple of ranch houses.

Last edited by jody_wy; 02-08-2014 at 01:00 AM..

Old 02-08-2014, 12:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jody_wy View Post
opps didn't see the blue..... not many places you can live 35 miles out of town in Wyoming, it is either BLM, Forest Service or Private Ranch land.

I said 35 min maximum lol

I would love to find a place for around $250,000 within 10-15 min of a major city / town. That would just be fantastic :P

Old 02-08-2014, 01:07 AM

good way is to find what you might like is search the different post to the towns of interest in this forum. there post Rock(SW) Springs to Cheyenne (SE) to Sundance(NE) to Cody (NW) and the few towns left in between.

Old 02-08-2014, 03:45 AM

3,648 posts, read 3,785,685 times
I usually recommend the basic wyomingatwork.com website, which is good. For teaching position it is helpful to go directly to each counties school districts. And for counseling and case management jobs, it is good to check the sites of individual facilities.

Old 02-08-2014, 09:10 AM

11,555 posts, read 53,188,168 times
IMO, your list is quite reasonable ... your budget will afford you a lot more than 1-2 acres in much of Wyoming. Around the Cheyenne area, the current market has 40 acre properties with modest housing available in your price range, and well within a 35 minute commute (in normal weather) to Cheyenne.

Gardening best done here in tunnel greenhouse structures to protect plants and allow better control of temp and irrigation. Take a look at FarmTek catalogue for these structures; you'll find that their units area bit underdesigned for the winds in this area, but you can reinforce to meet your needs. Drip tape irrigation and sub-surface tape systems work best, but aren't too expensive to install. Other than corn and potatoes, a 24' x 96' tunnel structure should readily provide most of your annual vegetable production ... tomatoes, cucumbers, onions, leeks, peas, carrots, peppers, and lettuce in season. You'll have plenty of produce to put up in preserves or freeze for the rest of the year. We make our own salsa, ketchup, and tomato paste. As well, you can readily add poultry production to this type of acreage for fresh eggs and poultry ... chickens and ducks are easy to keep.

Jobs: teaching jobs are as you find them via the listings. Pharmacy jobs have been available in the area recently at good wage rates.

Utilities: electricity generally no problem, gas may be propane on delivery/stored in a tank, running water may be a well, and DSL at modest speeds should be available in most rural areas. If you want municipal utility service, that is more likely availabe only within town/city limits or in an annexed subdivision ... typically at higher cost/acre and with an HOA control via CC&R's which may ... or may not ... be significant to your needs.

Last edited by sunsprit; 02-08-2014 at 09:21 AM..

Old 02-08-2014, 12:49 PM

10,349 posts, read 13,947,673 times
Greetings!

My wife and I are considering leaving Southern CA as we begin to hunt for jobs nation wide. There are a hand full of states that we are willing to relocate to if we cannot secure full time employment in CA. The list in order of preference is 1. Idaho 2. Montana 3. Wyoming 4. South Dakota 5. Oregon. Our primary reason for leaving is to secure full time employment in a state where we could actually afford to raise a family and own a decent amount of land without having to sell a kidney. Montana and South Dakota are at the VERY bottom for teacher wages in the country and Idaho isn't much better. I'm not sure about Oregon but those other three don't pay well at all. Wyoming does pay teachers a decent salary.

I currently make anywhere from $40,000 - $45,000 a year before taxes working two part time jobs as a community college instructor. Although this salary may seem like a lot it's actually quite a low paying salary considering that I work over 60 hour weeks (Any teachers here know exactly what I mean). There are very few full time positions opening up in CA and in most instances every time one of these positions opens up there are 2-3 Ph.D. holding individuals with more than 20 years of work experience applying for them. This is in addition to the other 200-300 applicants with similar qualifications to myself (I am not kidding it's almost always above 200 applicants). Now I am not saying that I do not have any work experience. I have a little over 2 years of teaching and undergraduate counseling experience as well as two Masters degrees one in Communication and another in Political Science. See above for comments about teacher wages in those states.

My Wife has a slightly better work outlook than myself. She is currently finishing her B.S. in Public Health and has over 6 years of work experience in customer service and two years in a pharmacy / hospital office setting.

Anyhow back to my main point.

We are looking to move for the following reasons.

1. Crime rate is insane where we live. In fact, just last weekend I had to call 911 because a gang fight started right outside my house. One person was stabbed with a knife and rushed to the hospital while the police did little to nothing and were unsuccessful in finding the suspect (DESPITE ME CALLING THEM EVERY TIME I SEE THE GUY WALKING OUTSIDE). This happens at least 3-4 times a year. In addition to dealing with this our place is also being constantly vandalized. Every other day I paint over the nonsense that these "gangsters" leave on my fence and every other night they just spray it on again. I have been living in this situation for the past 4 years and I've just about had it as the state of CA does not legally allow me to do anything about it unless they literally enter my home with a weapon drawn. I would move somewhere else but the housing costs and rent in CA is insane. My wife and I rent half of a house and pay about $700/month. That is actually the cheapest I was able to find in the area. Even a 1 bedroom apartment in the worst neighborhood goes for around $1000/mo. Crime is pretty low Montana and Wyoming, with the exception of the reservations. I can't speak for Oregon and Idaho.

2. Following a Dream. My wife and I both dream of being able to raise a family in a place where we don't have to worry about our kids being stabbed on their way home from school or being introduced to gang activity from a very young age. Additionally we both wish to own a fair bit of land, plant our own crops and live (to a minor extent) as our grandparents did. Raising crops in Montana and Wyoming is very difficult. Eastern South Dakota has good soil and some areas in Idaho must at least have soil suitable for growing potatoes at least. Once again, I can't speak for Oregon.

3. Housing prices - Already elaborated on this above. Good luck getting a decent house on a teacher salary in Montana, South Dakota, and Idaho.

I currently have saved up around $65,000 and am thinking about moving a year or so from now (depending on a lot of factors). I am expecting to have roughly $75,000 to make a down payment on a home with a fair amount of land. What we are looking for is the following.

1. At a minimum 1-2 acres of land no further than 35 min away from a major town / city (I'm aware that a major town in WY is anywhere from 6000-15,000 people and a city is often times less than 30,000). Check the real estate guides for the towns you want to live.

2. Somewhere that I and my wife can both find employment. So there would have to be schools around. At a minimum high school but preferably a community college or University (i.e., Laramie). Laramie has the only university in Wyoming. The towns with community colleges are Powell, Riverton, Rock Springs, Cheyenne, Casper, Sheridan, and Torrington. I think Gillette has a satellite campus for Sheridan Community College.

3. Relatively safe and crime free area Plenty of that here.

4. Area where we could grow food on the land at least for the 3-4 months that the weather permits. This will be a challenge. The growing season in most of the state is short and the soil is not the best.

5. Somewhere that has access to electricity, gas, running water, and preferably at least a DSL quality connection ( I would need it for my job). Check real estate guides for whatever areas you are considering for this.

I would like to know if the above list is realistic? Any advice / comments you could provide would be appreciated greatly!

I am currently in the process of beginning my research on Wyoming. I hope I don't come off as entitled or snobby with my post (I know it can seem that way). I really just want to secure a decent life for me and my wife (and future kids) and feel as though I should be able to given my work experience and educational background.

Thanks for taking the time to read and I hope to get some good replies.

--- Also I should mention this. Wyoming ranked in the top 5 states in the U.S. for teachers and it ranked very high in salary comfort index as well.

Teacher Salaries By State | Average Salaries For Teachers | Beginning Salaries For Teachers | Teacher Raises | TeacherPortal.com

Old 02-08-2014, 05:16 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,237,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoEagle View Post
...The towns with community colleges are Powell, Riverton, Rock Springs, Cheyenne, Casper, Sheridan, and Torrington. I think Gillette has a satellite campus for Sheridan Community College....
Yes, Gillette does have a "satellite campus for Sheridan Community College" AKA Northern Wyoming Community College. It's grown to the point that it's hardly a satellite campus. I'm not sure how Sheridan and Gillette compare in size, but I think Gillette's campus is about as big as Sheridan's at this point, and growing rapidly. Gillette should certainly be considered as one of your options.

I'm not sure about this either, but I think high school teachers get paid more than community college teachers in Wyoming. I understand that used to be the case.

I'd echo what's been said about gardening in Wyoming. Sunsprit is the expert on this. You'll see few gardens of any size in Wyoming. The short growing season and crappy soil combine to make it tough. A green house of some kind would certainly be your best bet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming