Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2013, 02:40 PM

35 posts, read 64,979 times

Advertisements

I have lived in PA all my life. I am now 50! It does really sneak up on ya.....anyway, I'm tired of the East Coast rat race. Everyone's always in a hurry, they try to do way more things in a day than is possible, then they're cranky because they get no sleep. I'm planning on taking a trip there the first week of Sept. I'm just not sure exactly were in WY I'd fit in? Casper, maybe Cheyenne? I am hoping to line up a few job interviews too. I am currently an armed security officer, but I also have a CDL Class A drivers license with a clean record, and I have had horses most of my life so I could even work at a ranch if thats possible.......Can anyone give me advice?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2013, 03:57 PM

3,647 posts, read 3,783,245 times
The website: wyomingatwork is a good place to start. Local papers and realty offices can give you some idea about housing costs.

A decent place to get your foot in the door of ranching for someone with little cattle experience is feedlots.

Old 07-16-2013, 06:15 PM

2,007 posts, read 6,829,864 times
Some more leads. Casper Star Tribune, Wyoming Quick Quarter.

Old 07-16-2013, 06:22 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,055,823 times
Where would you fit in? Depends on why you are attracted to Wyoming, what do you hope to find there, what kind of lifestyle or fit are you looking for?

Ranches generally can't afford to pay much and are mostly family operations. I would think you would be better off sticking with security and looking for jobs related to that field. Driving could be a possibility too.

These City-Data pages allow you to look up the demographics and other data regarding almost every community in Wyoming, which can tell you a lot about the places you are considering moving to. http://www.city-data.com/city/Wyoming.html

Old 07-16-2013, 07:34 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,597,926 times
That CDL with a clean record is a first class ticket. There are always driving jobs with the mining and oil companies. Check the Star-Tribune in Casper and the papers in Gillette and Rock Springs. I wouldn't bother with Cheyenne. You could probably get a job on a dude ranch next summer if you're good with horses and beginning riders. But the jobs don't pay very well and they are just for the summer. Your age would be an advantage because older people are considered more reliable. We don't have many security jobs because we have hardly any violent crime. Most people provide their own security. People are supposed to be 21 to pack but there's little enforcement of that, none in most places. This is a really bad place for criminals.

This is a different world from the one you know. This is the real America. Come out for a visit; talk to people; you'll know if you're coming home. The welcome mat is always out for good people.

Casper Star-Tribune - trib.com - Wyoming News

Old 07-17-2013, 08:51 AM

9,724 posts, read 21,230,068 times
All the mines and power generating plants have guard gates. Most, if not all, contract out the security; I'm thinking Pinkerton maybe -- something like that. I have no idea what it pays, but I'd guess it's not bad. Gillette would be a good place to start your search for a security guard job and not a bad place to look for a CDL job either.

Old 07-17-2013, 10:10 AM

Default Thank you all for you advise

I am looking forward to coming to Wyoming in September. I am going to try to line up interviews first. Hopefully I can find a a hotel or Inn along the way. Thanks again everyone

Old 07-17-2013, 12:42 PM

Default by the way, my trip in Sept is justa vacation week

Thats why im trying to get as much info as possible. When looking at a map everything looks very far apart.

Old 07-17-2013, 12:56 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,050,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAgirl123 View Post
Thats why im trying to get as much info as possible. When looking at a map everything looks very far apart.
That is because it "IS" far apart. It's not uncommon to have 60-100+ miles between towns and much farther to towns with services that are open past 6pm.

Old 07-17-2013, 02:07 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,597,926 times
Wyoming is a tourist state so there are plenty of hotels and other travelers' services. It might not be possible to get a fan belt replaced after 6:00 but you'll find all of the things that travelers normally need except in the smallest towns.

September is after high season so there are usually hotel rooms available. There are, however, two exceptions, Rock Springs and Gillette and just about anything within fifty miles of them. They're booked solid from Sunday through Thursday so be sure to make reservations as far ahead as you can.

There's a Best Western off of I-80 in Rock Springs that has a decent coffee shop, also a Chinese restaurant, Sands, at the far eastern end of Business 80. A few years ago they had excellent clam chowder. I can recommend both places.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming