Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2015, 08:30 PM

6,358 posts, read 7,776,492 times

Advertisements

What's the world coming to? From Reuters:

Wyoming deputy rides into sunset after dress code bans cowboy hats | Reuters
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2015, 09:01 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,077,816 times
Newly elected???? Whoops.

I noticed that he was quoted as saying that a deputy needed soft rubber soles for traction, so leather western style uppers were not allowed. When a deputy runs, does he run on the western style leather uppers, or can he get by with just running on the soles like the rest of us? Are foot chases, in Cody, becoming a problem?

Around here, a deputy is allowed his choice of cowboy hat or ball cap. It seems that either one has no effect on foot chases. Nor does it have any effect on identification. The last time I was stopped, with the whooop whooop of the siren, the flashing red, whit, and blue lights, coupled with a person wearing a gun, I had no sought I was pulled over by a law enforcement individual, and to tell you the truth, I couldn't tell you what type of head gear or foot wear the individual had on.

Wonder if people will start a recall over something as trivial as this?

Old 02-02-2015, 10:36 PM

2,417 posts, read 3,256,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by volosong View Post
I read the same story on Yahoo about the same time volosong. You beat me to posting.
The story does not really say what the Civilian population thinks of the situation.
Like EH Said. Getting pulled over by a Deputy Sheriff. All your attention will be on what the heck you did wrong. Not what uniform he will be wearing!
Should be able to wear what ever head gear you want out in the field.

Old 02-03-2015, 12:52 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,744 posts, read 58,102,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottStielow View Post
...All your attention will be on what the heck you did wrong. Not what uniform he will be wearing!
Should be able to wear what ever head gear you want out in the field.
Maybe a Sikh turban? Lots of truckers are wearing them!
https://www.google.com/search?q=Sikh...w&ved=0CEMQsAQ

Should be secure in a foot chase, and looks good with tennies.

Old 02-03-2015, 06:04 AM

3,650 posts, read 3,787,843 times
I think the sheriff goofed on this and I hope he responds to the pressure from his force and community and rescinds that policy.

Old 02-03-2015, 06:15 AM

3,563 posts, read 5,380,477 times
Default You would want to keep the barriers down, methinks

Quote:
Originally Posted by branDcalf View Post
I think the sheriff goofed on this and I hope he responds to the pressure from his force and community and rescinds that policy.
The whole idea of a cowboy hat is to indicate that law enforcement is very much a part of the community. Cities everywhere are trying to come up with ways to defuse the "Us Against Them" dynamic between forces and the communities they serve.

What were the thinking?

Old 02-03-2015, 08:22 AM

50 posts, read 118,212 times
As a retired city police officer of over 20 years I'd like to comment on the cowboy hat situation.

When I first started, we were required to wear our hats every time we got out of the patrol car. Since the hats were big (not cowboy hats) we didn't wear them inside the car because they there just wasn't enough room. So when we made a stop we had to grab the hat which meant we took our eyes off of the vehicle we were stopping. It doesn't sound like a big deal and almost always isn't, but it can be an officer safety issue. Eventually, the rule was changed for that reason, and ball caps were later allowed.

Having said that, I realize that there is a difference between being a city cop and a rural cop, however the basics of safety are still the same. Personally, I don't have a problem with western uniforms including the wearing of a cowboy hat, although a ballcap can be worn inside of the vehicle without the worry of it getting bumped off upon exit of the vehicle. In Wyoming I would almost expect to see most law enforcement folks wearing cowboy hats.

Old 02-03-2015, 11:40 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,811,485 times
So what kind of hats are now required? Without the Stetson I would wonder why a Chicago or NYC cop was stopping me in Wyoming?

Old 02-03-2015, 12:44 PM

3,650 posts, read 3,787,843 times
You make a valid point, Mr. Cooper. And we don't have walls around our state, which could be breached anyway.

But I will credit our LEO as being adults and choosing to wear what they can safely and effectively do their job wearing. I was surprised to hear the sheriff say, on an NPR interview, that the boots were a detriment because of their leather soles. I have boots with leather soles and boots with other types. I choose to wear the pair appropriate for the tasks of the day. And I, along with every single other person I know in WY and MT also keep snow boots in my rig in case I have to dig myself out or help someone else who got stuck. Often switching isn't even necessary, in my experience.

That said, we got along for years with leather-soled boots and managed to get everything done that needed doing.

Old 02-03-2015, 12:54 PM

322 posts, read 588,022 times
This story just made DRUDGE - the big time!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming