Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2015, 04:32 PM

230 posts, read 343,102 times

Advertisements

Living in Iowa, but I'm not from here and have no ties to the state or region. Just wondering how ppl in Wyoming are similar or different from those that grew up in Iowa, Nebraska etc.?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2015, 05:59 PM

3,647 posts, read 3,781,694 times
The ones I know are more independent, like being far from town more, work more, and are more energetic than those I know in NE, SD, ND, MN, WI. I only know a couple people from IA, but I always thought Iowa would be as far east as I would ever choose to live.

Old 06-06-2015, 06:30 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,227,349 times
Politically, as you may know, western Iowa is a little more conservative than eastern Iowa. Well, folks from Wyoming and Nebraska are about the same as those from western Iowa (which isn't a LOT different than those in eastern Iowa).

Religiously speaking, Wyoming is probably a little less so than Iowa and Nebraska. We certainly have plenty of the conservative religions, but I think the "no religious affiliation" is a bit more common in Wyoming than in the midwest. Your neighbor's religious affiliation is just not something that many people think about, afaik.

From my own experience when I moved here from Iowa many years ago, that's something I noticed. People here seem to have a little more live and let live attitude, whether it's religious, political, education or social status. I couldn't tell you the religious beliefs of anyone on my block except for one next-door neighbor, who I've known for 40 years, and that's limited to Christian. What church she attends, I have no idea. One former neighbor attended the same church I did and was fairly active in it, but he's since moved, I think back to his childhood home after his parents left town.

One big difference is in how rural westerners think about travel distances. At least where I lived in Iowa, a drive of more than 100 miles (200 round-trip) was considered a long trip. Here we think nothing of driving 300 mile round-trips, and 750 mile round-trips aren't uncommon. From where I live (Gillette), it's 350 miles to Denver. For several years we had Bronco season tickets and attended all their home games. I knew several others who did as well. Our high school teams will travel that distance for weekend games several times each season. That's not a difference in people, per se. It's just something that we become accustomed to out of necessity, due to the remoteness of the area.

I also notice that we westerners often don't groom our lawns as carefully, etc. That's not just Wyoming, but all of the west. I think it's because we spend more time away from home -- fishing, hunting and camping in the mountains or at a lake for the full weekend, driving the the city for a weekend of shopping, attending sporting events (school, college, professional), etc.

Old 12-07-2015, 06:44 PM

4 posts, read 8,024 times
yes this is a necro post

so i might be moving to jackson i want to know how high school kids act in WY because in houston they are all indeacont human beings who dont want to be your friend to be your ffriend but rather for personal gain some of my "friends" call me "the haf blind autistic fagot" would i get that kind of treatment in WY or is that a big city thing i hope it is

Old 12-08-2015, 07:53 AM

3,647 posts, read 3,781,694 times
You will meet mostly nice, fun, interesting people and likely a few jerks.

I hear the usually Wyoming teens are more sane and mature than those in large cities. Maybe by a per capita count! I hope you have a good experience and welcome

Old 11-14-2023, 10:25 AM

1,706 posts, read 1,146,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by branDcalf View Post
You will meet mostly nice, fun, interesting people and likely a few jerks.

I hear the usually Wyoming teens are more sane and mature than those in large cities. Maybe by a per capita count! I hope you have a good experience and welcome

They all have been raised as homesteaders.

Wyoming is such a harsh place to live that most know how to cook over a campfire, hunt, fish and store drinking water.

A 13 year old driving a farm truck is not such a strange sight in Wyoming.

I love Wyoming but it's not for everyone.......

Old 11-14-2023, 09:52 PM

5,583 posts, read 5,003,754 times
This is 8+ years old. Things are constantly changing.

Old 11-15-2023, 06:16 AM

1,706 posts, read 1,146,203 times
Wyoming is still beautifully remote.

For someone with a hatred of modern life, they can be happy there.

Be warned, that extends to anti-government types and ammo hoarders.

Just saying. Wyoming is kooky. I loved it but everyone is unique.

Old 11-15-2023, 06:32 AM

6,260 posts, read 5,067,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyLark2019 View Post
Wyoming is still beautifully remote.

For someone with a hatred of modern life, they can be happy there.

Be warned, that extends to anti-government types and ammo hoarders.

Just saying. Wyoming is kooky. I loved it but everyone is unique.
If you don't have a very strong distrust of the government, then you haven't been paying attention over the past few years.

If you don't "hoard" adequate supplies to survive through whatever emergencies may present themselves in this harsh and isolated state (which may include wood, water, food, ammunition, other depending on your personal circumstances) then you will likely (at some point) find yourself in trouble.

Wyoming is not kooky. But it is different from most states in ways both easy and difficult to understand.

Old 11-15-2023, 10:40 AM

3,648 posts, read 6,286,627 times
If the Kids are in 4-H ,FFA, and HS activities , they meet a lot of others from around the State at State Fair and School events. If they go to community college, or UW , when they get there they already got friends from all over the state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming