Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-01-2015, 05:28 PM

701 posts, read 694,766 times

Advertisements

What is the weather like in the Jackson, Yellowstone area from the middle of August to late September?

My wife and I have been trying to get up there from Louisiana for the last 2 years and it has always something to stop us. Year before last my wife had some medical problems during the summer. Last year I retired the end of June but was called back in July to train someone else when that person did not work out. So here we are again hoping to make the trip in late August or early September, weather permitting, and hoping the crowds will be gone.

Any suggestions for a tour guide or anything else would be appreciated. I am looking at the Ranch Inn as it has some great reviews. Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2015, 09:13 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,244,181 times
Crowds start to thin down a bit after mid-August, and after Labor Day they start shuttering a few campgrounds, etc. Summer's weather will last until mid-September, then it's anybody's guess. Snow isn't at all uncommon in late September, but the warm and sunny days will still outnumber the cold and/or wet ones. Major winter storms are possible but only last for 2-3 days.

In a nutshell, late August/early September is a GREAT time to visit Yellowstone. Summer's crowds have gone; summer's weather remains.

As always, bring some rain gear, warm jacket, sweat shirts or sweaters... or plan to buy them as souvenirs.

Late afternoon and early morning are the absolute best times to visit Yellowstone -- before the crowds arrive or after they've left. I've never used a guide and don't think many do unless it's a fishing guide, etc. There's lots of literature online or in book form to provide ideas for places to visit. Look for a book store before getting to the Park -- Cody, Jackson, West Yellowstone. Or search for them on Amazon.

Old 07-02-2015, 07:49 AM

3,649 posts, read 6,296,638 times
Late Aug , Sept cool morning warm to hot afternoons, most the bugs are gone!!!!!

Old 07-04-2015, 01:22 PM

1,133 posts, read 1,351,375 times
Throughout the month of September, if you pull over to the side of the road (in Grand Teton National Park, or Yellowstone) walk about a hundred feet away from the pavement, and stand quietly in the midst of a bunch of Pine Trees, or in the middle of a wide-open field and listen carefully...you can almost hear the park 'breathe a deep sigh of relief' that the crowds are FINALLY gone...

...at least until mid to late December, when the snowpack is deep enough to allow hordes of snow-machines/snow-mobiles to start 'shooshing' through.

Assuming you can keep your travel-schedule (this time around) I truly envy you, because it really IS the best time to visit the park.

European (seasonal) help is pretty much gone by then, and mostly you'll find the 'older and bolder' (as they are commonly referred to in Coolworks.com employment links) crowd stays behind to keep the gas-stations/convenience and numerous gift-shops operating, and (strangely) they seem much happier and relaxed, now that the college-interns are gone for the year...lol

...this despite the fact that they, themselves will be laid-off for the season very soon, as well.

I have reached a point in my life where I'm giving serious thought to committing to full-time/permanent employment to any one of a small handful of lodges in (and around) the Yellowstone Park area, where I could work and live there (hopefully) year round...such a nice place to be...far, far away from the rat-race/metro-suburbia/urban-sprawl...

Old 07-05-2015, 01:37 AM

2,417 posts, read 3,256,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ltdumbear View Post
Throughout the month of September, if you pull over to the side of the road (in Grand Teton National Park, or Yellowstone) walk about a hundred feet away from the pavement, and stand quietly in the midst of a bunch of Pine Trees, or in the middle of a wide-open field and listen carefully...you can almost hear the park 'breathe a deep sigh of relief' that the crowds are FINALLY gone...

...at least until mid to late December, when the snowpack is deep enough to allow hordes of snow-machines/snow-mobiles to start 'shooshing' through.

Assuming you can keep your travel-schedule (this time around) I truly envy you, because it really IS the best time to visit the park.

European (seasonal) help is pretty much gone by then, and mostly you'll find the 'older and bolder' (as they are commonly referred to in Coolworks.com employment links) crowd stays behind to keep the gas-stations/convenience and numerous gift-shops operating, and (strangely) they seem much happier and relaxed, now that the college-interns are gone for the year...lol

...this despite the fact that they, themselves will be laid-off for the season very soon, as well.

I have reached a point in my life where I'm giving serious thought to committing to full-time/permanent employment to any one of a small handful of lodges in (and around) the Yellowstone Park area, where I could work and live there (hopefully) year round...such a nice place to be...far, far away from the rat-race/metro-suburbia/urban-sprawl...
Are interested in this Ltdumbear. Came across this story in March. Really good story, at least in my perspective. I posted the story on City Data/Wyoming. Here is the News link enjoy:

Yellowstone's Winter Caretaker story.

Old 07-23-2015, 07:43 PM

Working on the trip for late August. How is the at&t cell phone and onstar reception in the Jackson/Cody/Yellowstone area?

Old 07-23-2015, 08:39 PM

3,649 posts, read 6,296,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tramp View Post
Working on the trip for late August. How is the at&t cell phone and onstar reception in the Jackson/Cody/Yellowstone area?
Wyoming Cell Phone Coverage Map

AT&T Maps - Wireless Coverage Map for Voice and Data Coverage from AT&T

Old 08-31-2015, 09:12 AM

Just got back from Yellowstone and the Black Hills. Had a great time in both. Yellowstone was hazy from the wild fires on the west coast but the pictures came out ok. Disappointed in Jackson. I thought it was a tourist trap - just my opinion.

Old 08-31-2015, 10:01 AM

11,556 posts, read 53,204,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tramp View Post
(snip)
Disappointed in Jackson. I thought it was a tourist trap - just my opinion.
Well, here's a Wyoming resident who agrees with your opinion.

Beautiful settings for both Jackson and The Black Hills, but very dependent upon tourist income. It's worth the effort and expense to be a bit more independent and get away from the crowded areas. Not difficult to do if you're camping and can be independent of the hospitality businesses of the region.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming