Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2007, 08:34 AM

13 posts, read 53,528 times

Advertisements

We are getting ready to relocate from Michigan. We have 3 children and want to make the right choice. We run our own Plumbing company. Is there a need for Plumbing companies for New Construction? Also, How are the school? Youth Sports programs?( We have 2 boys(8 & 11) who wrestle and play football(full contact), we also have a daughter (14) who runs cross country, & track and has tried every sport out there almost and still whats more. I have a degree in Architecture and Consturction Tech. and work from home running our plumbing company but would like to also find work outside the home would there be anything avalible for me? Also I am currently waiting to get into Nursing clinicals, Is there a wait list at the college in Gillette? We want to make sure we will be able to find enough work right away if we move. We worry about up rooting the children before we are sure. However, Michigan is going down fast and we need to get out before it is too late. We are thing we may have to keep our home here because market is poor. So we will have to house payments and need to make sure we will have enough income to cover all the bills. Any input and help would be greatly appreciated. Any information on job leads or needed builders would also be help full.
Thank you
Momma in Michigan
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2007, 09:34 AM

One more question. If we choice to move to a different part of Wyoming which would be a good choice? We need immediate income potenital for our business, Great Schools for our children(if we relocate only what to do it once), great youth sports, hunting, fishing, camping, and we love the great out doors. We prefer lots of property to play on, hunt and of course for the lab son to run on. We are really open to suggestions. We are moving regardless by the spring, we just want to make right decision. We have been considering Gillette because everyone talks about the need there. However when we visited this summer we were not completely impressed. So tell me what other areas have to offer.
Thanks

Old 10-18-2007, 01:28 PM

104 posts, read 365,990 times
Wow, I think this would be a tough move for the kids because of their ages, but I don't blame you for getting out of Michigan since they have no money and don't know how to spend it wisely when they do. I would suggest possibly renting your home just so you can get some income from it. Wyoming is a different way of life compared to Michigan. Housing may be more expensive in Wyoming. I have yet to see any "realistic" prices for decent homes. Though Plumbing is a good business and there's always a need for it, I don't think that is the worry. Find a good growing town with good schools for your kids because you will be happy if they are happy and that would be my number one concern. Good Luck. I'm envious! It takes guts to move kids to a whole new environment and I hope the transition goes well.

Old 10-18-2007, 01:57 PM

17 posts, read 47,613 times
good luck in wyoming, I would look at live in cheyenne, casper, laramie.

Old 10-18-2007, 06:50 PM

2,007 posts, read 6,833,983 times
I am under the impression, you need a license to be a plumber here. And to have a business I think you need a contractors license, and need to get both from the state. I hope you make it.

Old 10-18-2007, 08:11 PM

We have found that the requirements are different all over the state. He has passed the licensing exam for Wyoming(at these the one required in Campbell county but I believe it is the same all over the state). We are in the process of getting his Contractors license through the state right now. It will take a month or so. He has been granted a license in Gillette and could work for someone else right now but prefers to work for self. So working on the Contractors details right now.

As for our children we have raised them in a very open home with knowledge of money, values and the real world. As hard as it can be at times. Some think we are crazy for letting our children make major decisions with us, we believe it makes them well rounded and involve. They are scared about the move but are excited too. We have made 2 road trips out west with the children. It was beautiful, exciting and very trying on all of us. My husband and I pick growing cities with avalible work, involved the kids in research, and then we choose as a family. Wyoming was the most like home. It have everything we enjoy to offer, good schools, and a very relaxed outdoors feel. We are set on Wyoming but not set on a final desination. We have started the licensing process and are almost set in Gillette, but there is time to change our minds. We did not like the dry, and lack of greenary in Gillette. But I could all ways bring trees from our forest in the back yard here and plant them there.
Thanks to the responses so far and look forward to more options.

Old 10-18-2007, 08:40 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,077,816 times
Trees and green? On your time off, spend time at KeyHole. Really nice lake and camping area and not far from Gillette.

Old 10-18-2007, 09:14 PM

3,202 posts, read 4,436,083 times
well most cities in wyoming where anything is going on are pretty much dry and without trees.there are nice areas within an hour or so of most cities though

Old 10-18-2007, 09:43 PM

11,556 posts, read 53,204,055 times
You will need to make some basic decisions about your budget and requirements to figure out where in Wyoming is "best" for you.

The treed portion of the state tends to be the Western and Northern portions, or South Central (Laramie West or South). These are also the centers of tourism and resort areas. As you may well imagine, the costs of living here ... especially housing ... are much higher than Wyoming "normal" areas. However, the possibility of a successful independent plumbing business is very high here because there's so few service businesses in the area.

Likewise, there's a number of towns (like Gillette, Rock Springs, Rawlins, Kemmerer, etc) that are experiencing an "energy boom" growth cycle right now ... and there's a huge demand for trades and services. The business opportunities are excellent, but the housing costs (with limited availability right now) are daunting. You will need to be prepared to buy housing as rentals are in very scarce and limited supply ... especially if you want a larger house for your family.

The public school system is adequately funded in most of the state, and the pupil/teacher ratio is low compared to many other places. Due to the small size of many schools here, your children will generally have an opportunity to play any sport they wish. In fact, in the smaller schools, they'll be pressed into playing no matter how good they are ... everybody needs to participate because without that, there aren't enough kids to make a "team". The school districts all bus their kids around the state to games or meets with other schools .... it's a very broadening experience for the kids compared to a big city school where their competition is neighbors just across the way.

Outdoor activities abound throughout the state, so that's more or less an equal factor anywhere. Some places have better big game hunting on their doorstep, some have better lakes, some have better stream fishing, some have better skiing & snowmobiling, some have a more quiet and peaceful low key agrarian and farming experience. But you won't lack for stuff to do anywhere in the state, and it's not that far to get to the rest of the stuff you might want to do. "Not that far" is a relative term ... here in Wyoming, a 100 miles is "close".

If you weren't impessed with Gillette, I'd suggest you look at other places that are a little different and may be suitable ... Laramie, Casper, Cheyenne, Torrington ... mostly in the SE portion of the state. They're not quite "boom" economy areas, are a little more stable, and have more reasonable housing prices ... with a reasonably sized local economic base for clientele. Of course, if you've got the financial ability to jump in the area ... Jackson, Buffalo, the Star Valley area, Lander area ... all represent good opportunities for you.

IMO, it's very important if you're planning for the long haul to come back out and visit these places for awhile before making a decision. Each has a unique local economy and housing which may have a combination which appeals to you ....

Old 10-19-2007, 08:55 AM

104 posts, read 365,990 times
Sarge5 I applaud you for inserting your kids into your family's decision making. I agree it will make them more well rounded later in life. Glad to know "family values", although rare, are still used in our world today.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming