Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2016, 11:13 AM

1,567 posts, read 1,185,292 times

Advertisements

Hi all. My hubby is up in the Star Valley and Jackson area and he posted on Facebook it was 26 degrees this morning. He is happy as a clam because he loves the cold, but the kids and I are still a month or two away from joining him and I'm sure it's going to be much colder. I don't want to waste money buying winter clothes in California, because I'm sure they won't be warm enough for Wyoming. So where is a good place to buy some good winter clothing? Hubby will need some new stuff fairly soon, and I'm pretty sure the kids and I will at least need a few things to wear there while we get settled. Here our winter wear is long pants or jeans, a long sleeve t-shirt, and a light jacket. Any help is much appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2016, 11:39 AM

11,555 posts, read 53,163,200 times
Several very reasonable options, all good mail order companies with retail stores, great customer service, good prices, no hassle returns/exchanges:

1) Sierra Trading Post. Based in Cheyenne so shipping is close for lead times. Best to sign up for their online deals and promos where you'll get even more discounts off their already good prices. I shop their "3rd's" ... items that have been returned to the store for various reasons such as wrong size or distressed merchandise (such as floor merchandise that was damaged in some minor way, such as a pair of boots that were scuffed from people trying them on) ... huge discounts on this stuff. Do keep an eye on the product descriptions ... sometimes a great price is due to 2nd's merchandise which may or may not affect your use. I've bought Carhartt 2nd's that were so slightly imperfect that I couldn't even tell it wasn't 1st line merchandise, and some others where a flaw was obvious ... a missing button or some irregularity in the fabric weave that didn't bother my use.

2) Cabela's. Based out of Sidney NE, again a relatively close outfit with name and house brands of good quality. On line sign up gives you notice of promo's. Free membership in their buyer's club gives discounts/promos ... we got 10% off everything we bought yesterday at the store and we only bought stuff that was already on sale (30-50% of of their regular pricing ... yes, some was close-outs). Again, shop their promo's and specials for best deals. As well, the "Bargain Cave" can have some smokin' deals.

Cold weather wear for me is Carhartt, Filson, and similar workwear along with a couple of nicer Columbia coats.

Don't rule out some of the other major marketers of workwear/sportswear ... LLBean, etc.. I've bought a fair amount of Filson clothing off eBay, but price needs to reflect risk/return policies from the sellers.

Locally, you'll find a good selection of outdoor clothing ... but at higher prices than the catalogue shopping unless it's end of season close-out merchandise. I'd avoid "fashion" clothing targeted to specific outdoor sports/activities ... good 'ole workwear clothing is generally more durable and better performing for daily wear unless you need to be a clothes horse for work or social reasons.

Keep in mind that the key to comfort in the cold weather is to "layer up" ... rather than a single heavyweight outer shell. With layers, you can match the insulation to the activity/ambient temps, and shed or add as needed for comfort.

Last edited by sunsprit; 09-06-2016 at 11:49 AM..

Old 09-06-2016, 03:08 PM

382 posts, read 936,659 times
I echo the layering. Fleece layers and a windproof layer goes a long way to keeping you warm. Good hat, gloves and boots do the rest. Those new fleece tights are cozy as well. My husband got a few pair last year instead of long underwear and he just loves them.

Old 09-06-2016, 05:37 PM

3,647 posts, read 3,782,833 times
I like a variety of winter clothing.

I like the polypropylene "long johns." Once needed a pair when out of town and got some at Walmart. I still use them along with my more costly pairs. They are fine. I also like fleece and wool for layering. Insulated bib overalls from Carhart and other insulated brands are great. Surprisingly, maybe not, when you get moving outside even in low temps you often don't need a heavy coat if you have good layers. Just depends on the person and what they are doing. I also layer gloves with wool liners inside.

I have one daughter who loves snowboarding clothes and doesn't snowboard or ski. Good things about those are: A) they are lightweight and warm, and B) I'd be able to find her in pretty heavy snow. Wow. It's colorful!

My very old Sorel brand boots are my favorite for warmth. Many friends like Muck brand boots. The Artic style Muck brand is very warm, IMO, but heavier weight-wise than I want to pack around.

Oh, and a silk neckscarf. Available at most western stores. Omigosh, I'm glad they make those. Changes my whole day.

Old 09-06-2016, 05:40 PM

234 posts, read 266,873 times
I purchased Icebreaker merino wool base layers (top and bottom) my first winter here. I layer those up with my regular clothes plus a heavy winter jacket, gloves, and (when it is really cold) a bombardier rabbit fur lined hat.

All of the items came from Sierra Trading Post and I have been very pleased with them. I work in a warm, cozy office so I really just need the winter layering for snow shoveling and other brief outdoor time.

Old 09-06-2016, 05:51 PM

3,648 posts, read 6,287,430 times
Swift creek trading in Afton carries good winter boots and clothes, as do stores in Jackson and Idaho Falls
Sierra trading post has some great deals I like there silk long Johns...

Old 09-06-2016, 06:36 PM

83 posts, read 95,744 times
I have purchased some really great stuff at Refrigiwear - now this is not Carhart or Duluth stuff, however when the sales come it is hard to beat and the gear is great for general purpose / light work, traveling, walking, etc., https://www.refrigiwear.com/

Also we discovered a gem of a bargain for new snow sports stuff last year at Bobo's Mougul Mouse in Reno. I mention it only if you are going through Reno towards end of Cal/Neva ski winter. Huge discounts on coats,jackets, bibs, etc. A February delight. We outfitted our 10 YO daughter with really slick Quicksilver Pant & Jacket, goggles, gloves and socks for about 120 bucks. Adult stuff too. They turn into a patio furniture store in spring and summer and revert to ski/snowboard in fall. bobospeedstore

Old 09-06-2016, 06:55 PM

99 posts, read 149,155 times
You have gotten some great advice, but let me add a bit about children.

I have a five and three year old that LOVE to be outside. Children are amazing at pushing through dangerously cold weather in hopes of playing "just a little longer". This presents a problem where you have quickly growing kids (read: outgrow everything before they get home from the store) that still require protection.

It is painful on the wallet, but keep the kids in decent outer wear as well as the adults. Layers of water wicking clothing, a tough water/wind proof outer shell. Decent waterproof gloves and quality boots. GENERALLY, most of these cannot be found at a WalMart of Kmart children's sections.

Along those lines (I'm a medic, what can I say), dehydration is a real issue here in Wyoming. Winters usually have humidity levels in the single digits, we are more than a mile closer to the sun (read: UV is wicked nasty. Snow blindness is real), and then layered in heavy clothes. Keep an eye on the kids during their first winter. A little bit of dehydration coupled with altitude can make for a bad day. Ohhh, and same for the adults as well.

Old 09-06-2016, 09:03 PM

1,567 posts, read 1,185,292 times
Thank you for all of your suggestions. I knew that if I asked here I would get plenty of good, reliable suggestions. I've already passed some of these suggestions along to my husband. He told me today that he's going to need a warm hat, and he's glad he didn't get his hair cut before he came.

Wyoming_medic thank you for mentioning the dehydration, and the part about outerwear for the kids. I will make sure to keep an eye on the kids and make sure they are properly outfitted, and that they are getting plenty to drink. It is a big change, and we're not used to this weather, or the higher elevation. We've done lots of snow days in the mountains but only for limited periods of time, and it doesn't get as cold as it does there.

Old 09-06-2016, 09:10 PM

3,648 posts, read 6,287,430 times
in the winter the cloudy and the snowy days are the warm days , the bight sunny day are the temp inversions and bitter cold.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming