Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2021, 04:27 PM

5,585 posts, read 5,015,250 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by juneaubound View Post
Talked to a few locals recently with young families who would like to get into their first home or upgrade to accommodate their growing family. They can't afford the increased prices. As one guy who currently owns a townhouse and wants to purchase a single family home said "I thought we had a house a couple of times but we got bid out both times by people from out-of-state who could pay cash. How do I compete with that?"

To add insult to injury he's a plumber and has been busy installing plumbing in new house construction that he can't get into himself.

Sincerely hoping that a whole lot of people bug out of here within a year or two.
In which part of Wyoming is this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2021, 05:24 PM

6,262 posts, read 5,070,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nowhereman427 View Post
Cody.

Old 04-25-2021, 05:26 PM

560 posts, read 437,383 times
Quote:
Talked to a few locals recently with young families who would like to get into their first home or upgrade to accommodate their growing family. They can't afford the increased prices. As one guy who currently owns a townhouse and wants to purchase a single family home said "I thought we had a house a couple of times but we got bid out both times by people from out-of-state who could pay cash. How do I compete with that?"

To add insult to injury he's a plumber and has been busy installing plumbing in new house construction that he can't get into himself.

Sincerely hoping that a whole lot of people bug out of here within a year or two.
Thos makes me a little sad. This is no doubt commiefornia monies. It’s also pricing out people like my wife, daughter and I who would come from a red state and continue to keep your state the way it was and assimilate accordingly.

Old 04-26-2021, 04:57 AM

1,459 posts, read 1,402,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nowhereman427 View Post
Park county, the baby of Teton county (read Jackson Hole). Cody has always been expensive place to live, which is why Powell and Meeteetse see more transplants.

I personally don't see the attraction anymore. Kali didn't get that way overnight and it's possible to turn that around on itself. I guess those that were born there wouldn't defend their homestate - what makes you think they'll defend Wyoming or Montana or Idaho?

Old 04-26-2021, 08:36 AM

1,133 posts, read 1,350,276 times
"Thos makes me a little sad. This is no doubt commiefornia monies. It’s also pricing out people like my wife, daughter and I who would come from a red state and continue to keep your state the way it was and assimilate accordingly."

There is nothing to 'assimilate' to, anymore.

Thanx to all the changes brought-about by all the out-of-state Urban-diaspora pouring-in here (over the past few decades) everything that Wyoming 'was', is now GONE.

Wyoming is not 'red', nor 'blue'....it is PURPLE.

"I guess those that were born there wouldn't defend their homestate - what makes you think they'll defend Wyoming or Montana or Idaho?"

BINGO !

Which is exactly why I started pushing the "Running-away solves NOTHING" mantra last year, in the hopes that it might have the effect of splashing a glass of ice-water (or a Gibbs 'Slap to the back of the head') to all those who seem to think it's (easier ?) to just pack-up & move here to Wyoming, simply because everything is going 'insane' wherever they are coming-from...

...try as they might, ALL they ever succeed in doing is bringing it all WITH THEM.

'Urbanites ARE, as urbanites DO'...there is no 'changing' or 'assimilating' into something-else, and NO amount of 'stunning-scenery' is enough to change anyone into being something-other than what they are used to being, or were ever meant to be.

It's kindof like these migrants from South-American countries...

I see them shuffling their feet along those roads leading to our border, and I cannot help but wonder to myself:

"If those people were completely unable to get-together and change their home-countires into places more 'conducive' (or 'worth-while') to live in...then what in the HELL possible reason would ANYBODY have to believe that ANY of them (coming here) would have a snow-ball's chance in HELL of helping 'improve' THIS country ? ? ?

Short Version: If you 'can't make it work' wherever-else you are right now (outside of Wyoming) then what the Hell makes you think you CAN 'make it work', HERE ?

Strange, how that's the one question I almost never hear asked (or addressed) by anyone picking our brains for information on 'where to move' (ie: where to set up house, home, family, etc...) and where they might find the best options for whatever career-opportunities they are involved-in, or looking-into.

Yeah, some of them have 'money'...some might even have great 'connections' (back in the world) but almost NONE of that is ANY guarantee of successful...'integration' here...because there is nothing to 'integrate' into.

It's alot of undeveloped-land & 'stunning-vistas'...yeah...okay...THEN what ? ? ?

If you cannot afford to have that well-drilled, or get 100 or so power-poles set (to hook-up to power-grid) then your ONLY remaining-alternative (unless you want to live in a pup-tent, such as I have been on & off since May 2020) is to throw a dart at the map, and move into an apartment or house in the nearest-town, that dart lands on...

...but then you're right-back to what you THOUGHT you just left BEHIND you !

Other than scenery...EVERYTHING you see (and experience) where you are now...is ALSO here.

Sad...but true.

Old 04-26-2021, 08:37 AM

507 posts, read 662,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneDawg View Post
Park county, the baby of Teton county (read Jackson Hole). Cody has always been expensive place to live, which is why Powell and Meeteetse see more transplants.

I personally don't see the attraction anymore. Kali didn't get that way overnight and it's possible to turn that around on itself. I guess those that were born there wouldn't defend their homestate - what makes you think they'll defend Wyoming or Montana or Idaho?
Since I have quite a few friends in Park County, and they don't take this seriously, but on this side of the state, the remark is (in ref to County License Plate #s) that, you know, an 11 is half as bad as a 22.

Old 04-26-2021, 09:39 AM

2,452 posts, read 1,683,407 times
Quote:

Housing costs are up everywhere. Depending on location how much. I live in rural SD and houses here are selling for close to 50% more than one to two years ago. I am looking at places on the Oregon coast and they are two to three times the price from one to two years ago.

Old 04-26-2021, 10:03 AM

1,473 posts, read 1,422,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ltdumbear View Post
"Thos makes me a little sad. This is no doubt commiefornia monies. It’s also pricing out people like my wife, daughter and I who would come from a red state and continue to keep your state the way it was and assimilate accordingly."

Thanx to all the changes brought-about by all the out-of-state Urban-diaspora pouring-in here (over the past few decades) everything that Wyoming 'was', is now GONE.

"I guess those that were born there wouldn't defend their homestate - what makes you think they'll defend Wyoming or Montana or Idaho?"

BINGO !

Which is exactly why I started pushing the "Running-away solves NOTHING" mantra last year, in the hopes that it might have the effect of splashing a glass of ice-water (or a Gibbs 'Slap to the back of the head') to all those who seem to think it's (easier ?) to just pack-up & move here to Wyoming, simply because everything is going 'insane' wherever they are coming-from...

...try as they might, ALL they ever succeed in doing is bringing it all WITH THEM.

'Urbanites ARE, as urbanites DO'...there is no 'changing' or 'assimilating' into something-else, and NO amount of 'stunning-scenery' is enough to change anyone into being something-other than what they are used to being, or were ever meant to be.

It's kindof like these migrants from South-American countries...

I see them shuffling their feet along those roads leading to our border, and I cannot help but wonder to myself:

"If those people were completely unable to get-together and change their home-countires into places more 'conducive' (or 'worth-while') to live in...then what in the HELL possible reason would ANYBODY have to believe that ANY of them (coming here) would have a snow-ball's chance in HELL of helping 'improve' THIS country ? ? ?

Short Version: If you 'can't make it work' wherever-else you are right now (outside of Wyoming) then what the Hell makes you think you CAN 'make it work', HERE ?

Strange, how that's the one question I almost never hear asked (or addressed) by anyone picking our brains for information on 'where to move' (ie: where to set up house, home, family, etc...) and where they might find the best options for whatever career-opportunities they are involved-in, or looking-into.

Yeah, some of them have 'money'...some might even have great 'connections' (back in the world) but almost NONE of that is ANY guarantee of successful...'integration' here...because there is nothing to 'integrate' into.

It's alot of undeveloped-land & 'stunning-vistas'...yeah...okay...THEN what ? ? ?

If you cannot afford to have that well-drilled, or get 100 or so power-poles set (to hook-up to power-grid) then your ONLY remaining-alternative (unless you want to live in a pup-tent, such as I have been on & off since May 2020) is to throw a dart at the map, and move into an apartment or house in the nearest-town, that dart lands on...

...but then you're right-back to what you THOUGHT you just left BEHIND you !

Other than scenery...EVERYTHING you see (and experience) where you are now...is ALSO here.

Sad...but true.
Perhaps, you should start by learning what countries are actually in South America... People, who do not properly plan for the future can easily get priced out of their hometowns or even their homes. It happens everywhere. The cure for rising rents is a longterm, downward economic trend, and as you can see here, some would prefer that over job growth and the prospect of more expensive housing. Ironic how the California bashers would welcome subsidized housing, low income housing, rent control and a laundry list of other Big Brother offerings. The reports from Tucson are that it is conservative, mitary types from Cali moving there. I doubt it is much different in WY. Try going without products from California for a few weeks, you'll wish you simply boycotted Home Depot or Coke.

Old 04-26-2021, 11:05 AM

17,797 posts, read 13,692,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ltdumbear View Post

Curiously, it seems that Wyoming's growth has been rather modest. The 2010-2019 growth was less then 3%.

The question I have is that if you are seeing all this in migration ("the urban diaspora") has there been an outmigration of native Wyoming residents during these decades you describe?

Old 04-26-2021, 12:22 PM

1,133 posts, read 1,350,276 times
"The question I have is that if you are seeing all this in migration ("the urban diaspora") has there been an outmigration of native Wyoming residents during these decades you describe?"

I dunno about anyone else here, but I don't see any 'Wyo natives' leaving...all I am seeing is more people coming IN.

Why on earth would any old-school/conservative types leave here, when everything is hitting the fan elsewhere ?

Unless one has the money & proper-connections to 'buy' their own island, THERE IS NOWHERE LEFT TO GO TO GET AWAY from it all !

But if you're talking about city-folks who come here, and end up having to leave because they lost everuthing during a 'down-turn'...okay, yeah I can see that there's a steady-flow in AND out of Wyoming...

...but I am mostly seeing people coming IN...and they are bringing problems along with everything-else that follows in the temporal-wake behind them...EVERY town, EVERY city...

...except maybe those VERY few out-of-the-way places like Arvada, Lysite, Bosler, Crowheart, and Boulder...maybe I have missed one or two others....oh yeah, Rock River & Medicine Bow...lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming