Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2021, 06:49 AM

6,268 posts, read 5,091,528 times

Advertisements

In a couple of years those who are patient will be able to get their hands on a decent home at a decent price. In the meantime WY is like a cute spotted dog that turns out to be more work than expected. To expand on the analogy, our sparse little sage brush infested fly over state is just like 101 Dalmations:

Animal shelters around the country have reported sharp increases in the number of unwanted Dalmatian dogs this year, many of them given to children as gifts last Christmas after the release of Disney's remake of the movie ''101 Dalmatians.'' Although nationwide figures are not available, some shelters say they have seen the number of abandoned dogs more than double and that they fear the problem will only grow worse with the new ''101 Dalmatians'' television program on ABC.

https://www.nytimes.com/1997/09/14/u...almatians.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2021, 07:21 AM

260 posts, read 276,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juneaubound View Post
In a couple of years those who are patient will be able to get their hands on a decent home at a decent price. In the meantime WY is like a cute spotted dog that turns out to be more work than expected.[/url]
I disagree. Going on 29 yrs here and at least two very good slow downs in those yrs (not total bust). I've never seen considerable price drops in homes. Maybe stalled for several months but never a sizable drop in prices to warrant waiting to buy. When we left Campbell County, we sold during the recession and took only 4 mths selling on our own with barely any advertising.

Old 05-03-2021, 09:33 AM

789 posts, read 1,749,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juneaubound View Post
In a couple of years those who are patient will be able to get their hands on a decent home at a decent price. In the meantime WY is like a cute spotted dog that turns out to be more work than expected. To expand on the analogy, our sparse little sage brush infested fly over state is just like 101 Dalmations:

Animal shelters around the country have reported sharp increases in the number of unwanted Dalmatian dogs this year, many of them given to children as gifts last Christmas after the release of Disney's remake of the movie ''101 Dalmatians.'' Although nationwide figures are not available, some shelters say they have seen the number of abandoned dogs more than double and that they fear the problem will only grow worse with the new ''101 Dalmatians'' television program on ABC.

https://www.nytimes.com/1997/09/14/u...almatians.html
A friend of mine who lives in the country was telling me about her neighbors who moved in a few years ago for the "country life." The kids were into sled dogs - (5dogs and 5 kids). It was fine for a while when the kids were homeschooled the dogs got treated well but then they went back to school, found other interests, ect and the dogs are ignored, kept on chains all day and one is pregnant now (oops).

She said the sheriff was there the other day apparently doing a welfare check on the dogs. Probably called by another neighbor who is getting really annoyed with them.

Last edited by rya700; 05-03-2021 at 09:43 AM..

Old 05-03-2021, 03:12 PM

5,601 posts, read 5,077,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NandI2 View Post
We were outbid on a house in Gillette. Offered on it after it was on market less than 48 hours, and lost it.

Looks like you will have to move to the next one.

Old 05-03-2021, 06:53 PM

563 posts, read 446,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wytempest View Post
We visited our son today in Gillette. He was talking about four houses just sold on his street very recently. All within days of being listed and those selling did good on the sale. His wife was reading an article off her phone about the top ten most moved to places due to covid. I believe she said Gillette was #10. We were working so didn't pay completely attention to what she was saying but I think I heard that right? He also said they were crazy busy where he works.

UGH!! Everywhere we’d want to go is blowing up with people and cost. I just cannot [expletive here] get a break. At this rate we are never going to find a nice quiet private rural liberty-filled location with all these [expletive here] people flooding western states from CA, IL and NY. I’m not happy my wife made me wait so long so now we are going to pay for it literally and figuratively. I just started exploring the Gillette area a few months ago.

Quote:
I have a friend in Rexburg, I believe is where he lives. He was asking me alot of questions about building a home as I've done it quite a few times. He was telling me the building codes and permitting they had to deal with and it was considerably extensive considering it being Idaho.
I see this as a trend unfortunately.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nowhereman427 View Post
Seems to be the property taxes are much lower in Wyoming than Idaho which is the current hot spot.
True.

Well .... more bad news for us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NandI2 View Post
We were outbid on a house in Gillette. Offered on it after it was on market less than 48 hours, and lost it.
We almost put an offer on a house in Rozet only to be too late by ... just hours. I REALLY do NOT want to wait ANY LONGER to get out of Texas. So looks like we are going to have to eat a high mortgage for a while. I know we will see another 2007-like economic downturn, question is how soon. I cannot bear the thought of being stuck in Texas more than another year or so. I’d rather sleep in my overlander truck than stay in Texas any more. I have friends who live in Bonners Ferry ID, I might see if they’ll sell us an acre or two.

Last edited by Mister Torgue; 05-03-2021 at 07:06 PM..

Old 05-03-2021, 07:14 PM

7 posts, read 6,058 times
The zoning in Boundary county now is 10 acre min on splits.

There are preexisting lots that are less than 10 acres for sale.

Land costs are climbing quickly.

Old 05-03-2021, 07:49 PM

133 posts, read 107,901 times
Snow in May, no thanks.

Old 05-03-2021, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Torgue View Post
UGH!! Everywhere we’d want to go is blowing up with people and cost. I just cannot [expletive here] get a break. At this rate we are never going to find a nice quiet private rural liberty-filled location with all these [expletive here] people flooding western states from CA, IL and NY. I’m not happy my wife made me wait so long so now we are going to pay for it literally and figuratively. I just started exploring the Gillette area a few months ago.

I see this as a trend unfortunately.

True.

Well .... more bad news for us.

We almost put an offer on a house in Rozet only to be too late by ... just hours. I REALLY do NOT want to wait ANY LONGER to get out of Texas. So looks like we are going to have to eat a high mortgage for a while. I know we will see another 2007-like economic downturn, question is how soon. I cannot bear the thought of being stuck in Texas more than another year or so. I’d rather sleep in my overlander truck than stay in Texas any more. I have friends who live in Bonners Ferry ID, I might see if they’ll sell us an acre or two.
It's that bad there in Texas? That state is taking away alot of people from other states and inviting businesses from other states. That's probably why you want out of there because of all the recruiting going on? Bonners Ferry is also experiencing rapid population and escalating prices going up up and up

Old 05-03-2021, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wytempest View Post
We visited our son today in Gillette. He was talking about four houses just sold on his street very recently. All within days of being listed and those selling did good on the sale. His wife was reading an article off her phone about the top ten most moved to places due to covid. I believe she said Gillette was #10. We were working so didn't pay completely attention to what she was saying but I think I heard that right? He also said they were crazy busy where he works.

I have a friend in Rexburg, I believe is where he lives. He was asking me alot of questions about building a home as I've done it quite a few times. He was telling me the building codes and permitting they had to deal with and it was considerably extensive considering it being Idaho.
Gillette was #10? What were the other states?

Old 05-03-2021, 11:05 PM

563 posts, read 446,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nowhereman427 View Post
It's that bad there in Texas? That state is taking away alot of people from other states and inviting businesses from other states. That's probably why you want out of there because of all the recruiting going on? Bonners Ferry is also experiencing rapid population and escalating prices going up up and up
Texas is beginning to be purple and is mostly run by rinos and I’ve seen the shifting tide coming the last ~25yrs. We just cannot continue to take in quite this many people continually year after year and expect to stay at least with mostly liberty. Constitutional carry died before it got to the governor’s desk. They also went way too overboard on the covid scamdemic with the infringements. Add to that the crummy weather 50 of 52 weeks or the year, the high cost of living and the southern border mess and who the heck wants to be here? Maybe those from other states that are crummy—which had a sense of irony in itself.

Keep in mind though there’s more important factors than the aforementioned (except the liberty thing) for our reasons to leave.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming