Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2008, 02:37 PM

1 posts, read 6,375 times

Advertisements

I would love to know what is a "must see" quick stop off i-80 in wyoming? my trajectory is Big springs, nebraska to Portland, OR and i will be traveling through WY on 80. What is a good site seeing destination that I shouldn't miss on this once in a lifetime drive?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2008, 02:50 PM

1,466 posts, read 4,058,155 times
I am not as familiar with I-80, however I want to take a drive down there to see some sites...
But there are lots of people on the forum that can give you better advice than I can..

I would say stop to see Cheyenne for sure, I have heard Laramie is a pretty area.

Have a fun trip!

Old 06-23-2008, 04:19 PM

719 posts, read 2,618,786 times
As I keep emphasizing, in south central WY. on I80 lies the lovely oasis of Wamsutter. Have your camera at the ready!

Old 06-23-2008, 05:24 PM

3,202 posts, read 4,435,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sockeye View Post
As I keep emphasizing, in south central WY. on I80 lies the lovely oasis of Wamsutter. Have your camera at the ready!
i'll second that

Old 06-23-2008, 07:49 PM

362 posts, read 1,856,826 times
1. When you get to Walcott Junction, turn south on 130.
2. When you get to Saratoga, soak in the free hot springs.
3. Go east on 130 as it splits away from 230, and drive the absolutely breathtaking Snowy Range Road
4. Ride it all the way to Laramie where you'll meet back up with I-80

Old 06-23-2008, 08:21 PM

11,556 posts, read 53,199,057 times
If you only have time for a relatively "quick" stop, visit the Veedauwoo park area just off of I-80, between Laramie and Cheyenne. Interesting formations to see, campsites just off the road and back into the park a little bit. A nice place to stop and have a picnic lunch, maybe do some hiking/exploring for awhile.

Old 06-23-2008, 08:35 PM

2,186 posts, read 6,827,457 times
The Wyoming State Museum in Cheyenne is awesome and the Territorial Prison in Laramie is a must see especially for history buffs.

Old 06-23-2008, 10:38 PM

430 posts, read 1,623,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsprit View Post
If you only have time for a relatively "quick" stop, visit the Veedauwoo park area just off of I-80, between Laramie and Cheyenne. Interesting formations to see, campsites just off the road and back into the park a little bit. A nice place to stop and have a picnic lunch, maybe do some hiking/exploring for awhile.
THAT is my fav spot along the entire route thru Wyo. GREAT climbing - just boulder hopping if that is what you are up for, but is really cool. Or going up to Medicine Bow for a day hike rocks - that is outside Laramie. Westernstarr's idea is great too.

Old 06-24-2008, 11:01 AM

108 posts, read 266,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRVphotog View Post
The Wyoming State Museum in Cheyenne is awesome and the Territorial Prison in Laramie is a must see especially for history buffs.
Also of historical interest are the Carbon County Museum (Rawlins) and Fort Steele (what's left of it) which is about 10 mi east of Rawlins.

Old 06-24-2008, 11:37 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,741 posts, read 58,090,525 times
sights and history
I vote for Veedauwoo, exit 329 (if you don't have your Federal parks 'access pass', you can drive on past the park ~ 1 mile on dirt road and find plenty of camping / climbing)
the Carbon County Museum (s)
and Fort Bridger exit 34

and twist Ice Cream cones @ Little America x359 and x68

If you have the time. definately take 130 across Snowy Range and take a free soak in Hobo Hot Springs pool at Saratoga. Great views along highway, and not too far out of your way.

for a 'scenic route to Boise', take off l-80 head to Kemmerer WY, stop at Fossil Butte Nat'l Monument, then on to Bear Lake, UT (Camp up above in a beautiful aspen filled state park on West side, then on to Soda Springs, ID for more soaking. North to 'Craters of the Moon', west to Boise.

Lots to see in Columbia Gorge heading into Portland, be sure to stop at Bonneville Dam and Fish hatchery, then take 'scenic highway' west into Portland... Multnomah & Horsetail Falls, Crown Point vista house, Portland Womans overlook.

While in Portland, see Rose Gardens (free concerts every night in July), Powell Books, Saturday Market

Get to the beach and see Ecola State park (Cannon Beach), then venture 5 mi south and stop at Hug Point State park... walk north on beach and see the stage coach route blasted from rock, great tide pools, rocks, waterfalls, caves. (highway 101 was originally along the beach at low tide. Stage stops used abandoned shipwrecks for shelters)

You might want to get a 'National Parks and Monuments Annual Access card' ($80), used to be 'Golden Eagle Pass', unless you are old enough to get a golden passport (should I live so long...) You get discounts on comping in federal parks + free admissions. If you are planning on hitting some spots they are worth it. (Mt Rainier, Mt St Helens, Olympic Natl Park, North Cascades, Crater Lake, Mt Lassen, Lava Caves, Oregon Caves, Redwoods, Craters of the Moon, Glacier Park, Yellowstone, Tetons, RMNP... lots to see in the region)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming