Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-04-2006, 05:04 PM

4 posts, read 32,148 times

Advertisements

Hi, I'm looking to relocate to Clark Wy, sometime this summer from New York, and was wondering if anyone can give me some general info about the place. Also, I have a 7 year old child and Clark has a K-5 school, would middle/high school be in Powell? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2006, 04:40 PM

3 posts, read 19,172 times
Default Clark, WY

Hi. My husband and I just moved to Clark, WY in June 2006. We absolutely LOVE it here! My sister and her family have lived here almost three years.

You are correct that there is a k-5 school in Clark, which averages 30-35 students total. In answer to your question, students have a choice of where to attend middle/high school. They can attend in Powell, WY or Belfry, MT. My neices and nephew attend in Powell.

Other general information about Clark:

Clark is located approximately 30 miles north of Cody. Clark's legal boundaries encompasses approx. 193 square miles. There are approx. 300-350 residents in the Clarks Valley today. Mail comes through the Powell post office.

In Clark there are 3 accesses to the Shoshone National Forest, the Clarks Fork Canyon being the most spectacular.

The Clarks Fork Recreation Center hosts community activities including an annual rodeo. There are two churches located in Clark: Bennett Creek Church and Our Lady of the Valley Catholic Church.

A little history: Looking across the Clarks Fork River on the south face of the canyon, the steep trail that Chief Joseph and the Nez Perce Indians took on their escape from Yellowstone Park in 1877 can be faintly seen. Colonel Sturgis had been waiting at the mouth of the Canyon. He was told by scouts that there was no way that the Nez Perce could escape through this canyon and he moved his company south to Heart Mountain. The Nez Perce accomplished an amazing fete, and 700 people and 2,000 horses escaped through this canyon and headed north. A year later in 1878, the Bannock Indian conflict took place on the Clarks Fork River. During the early morning battle, among the dead were Captain Andrew Bennett and Little Rock, an Crow interpreter. Bennett Creek, Bennett Buttes and Bennett Buttes Cemetery are named in honor of Captain Bennett. Little Rock Creek was named after the Crow interpreter.

Melissa

Old 10-14-2006, 05:47 AM

213 posts, read 765,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantene View Post
Hi. My husband and I just moved to Clark, WY in June 2006. We absolutely LOVE it here! My sister and her family have lived here almost three years.

You are correct that there is a k-5 school in Clark, which averages 30-35 students total. In answer to your question, students have a choice of where to attend middle/high school. They can attend in Powell, WY or Belfry, MT. My neices and nephew attend in Powell.

Other general information about Clark:

Clark is located approximately 30 miles north of Cody. Clark's legal boundaries encompasses approx. 193 square miles. There are approx. 300-350 residents in the Clarks Valley today. Mail comes through the Powell post office.

In Clark there are 3 accesses to the Shoshone National Forest, the Clarks Fork Canyon being the most spectacular.

The Clarks Fork Recreation Center hosts community activities including an annual rodeo. There are two churches located in Clark: Bennett Creek Church and Our Lady of the Valley Catholic Church.

A little history: Looking across the Clarks Fork River on the south face of the canyon, the steep trail that Chief Joseph and the Nez Perce Indians took on their escape from Yellowstone Park in 1877 can be faintly seen. Colonel Sturgis had been waiting at the mouth of the Canyon. He was told by scouts that there was no way that the Nez Perce could escape through this canyon and he moved his company south to Heart Mountain. The Nez Perce accomplished an amazing fete, and 700 people and 2,000 horses escaped through this canyon and headed north. A year later in 1878, the Bannock Indian conflict took place on the Clarks Fork River. During the early morning battle, among the dead were Captain Andrew Bennett and Little Rock, an Crow interpreter. Bennett Creek, Bennett Buttes and Bennett Buttes Cemetery are named in honor of Captain Bennett. Little Rock Creek was named after the Crow interpreter.

Melissa
Hi Melissa: We are looking at a possible purchase of a ranch in the Clark area, and since you already live there, please help me out. Does the wind blow there as much or at least like most of Wyoming. We lived in Nome, Alaska for 6 winters so we were used to a wind and/or breeze off the Bering Sea most of the time. Is there much of a problem with wells drying up, or have you heard of any properties with that problem? Most of the time, it's because the wells were dug too shallow. Apparently, the people in the area are receptive to newcomers - am I correct? Since y'all love it there, the folks in the area must be pretty nice. Are there any activities much for kids? I have 2 adopted boys, 4 & 10 who like soccer and karate. I imagine those things are not available in Clark. How long of a drive is it to Cody and Powell?
Any other information you can give me would be appreciated. Thanks.

Old 10-15-2006, 12:16 PM

Default Clark, WY

Hi tigerfan,

I will try to answer your questions in order:

1) Yes, the wind does blow here in Clark, although to be honest with you, I have not really found it to be that bad. I am told that it gets worse in the winter, and we have not lived here through a winter yet. My sister said that they did have a case of 126mph wind last year that blew over their horse trailer, but my understanding is that this was not the norm.

2) I do not know of any wells drying up. I am told that the wells are high-producing in this area. We had no problem digging our well and it has never dried up, even temporarily.

3) The people are very friendly in Clark. It actually took me a while to get used to it because I moved from an area that was not at all receptive to newcomers. I kept wondering "why do all these strangers wave at me when I drive past?" and was told they're just being friendly. Bennett Creek Church is very welcoming and a great place to meet many people. Every other week they have a potluck lunch after services which is really fun. Even if you do not attend church now, keep this in mind. I NEVER EVER attended church before moving here.

4) The community center does have activities for kids, although I'm not sure of the details since I don't have young children. There is no soccer or karate in Clark. You would have a better chance of finding those things in Cody or Powell. Depending on where you live in Clark, it is 1/2 hour to 45 minute drive to Cody and 1/2 hour to Powell. I work in Cody, my husband works in Powell. If your kids like horses Clark is a great place for them to ride.

I'm not sure what other information you may need, but feel free to respond with any other questions and I will be happy to answer.

Melissa

Old 10-16-2006, 11:55 AM

213 posts, read 765,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantene View Post
Hi tigerfan,

I will try to answer your questions in order:

1) Yes, the wind does blow here in Clark....

Melissa
Meliussa, thanks for the info. I do attend church and play bass with our music team. With that in mind, what kind of music does the church sing - old type standard hymns which are fine, or the more contemporary worship choruses? Many churches now do both. Thanks.

Mac

Last edited by Yac; 10-17-2006 at 06:22 AM.. Reason: quote shortened

Old 10-17-2006, 12:05 AM

Default Clark, WY

Hi Mac,

To be honest with you, since I never attended church before moving to Clark, I am not 100% sure about the type of music sung at Bennett Creek Church, because I really don't have much previous experience. However, it does seem as though it is primarily the old-fashioned standard hymns. I can tell you that there is much singing. It's quite nice.

Melissa
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming