Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-12-2008, 11:28 PM

18 posts, read 87,092 times

Advertisements

My teen is a budding ghost hunter. Do yall have any suggestions for haunted hotels or ghost towns in WY that we should visit? Thanks!
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2008, 12:24 AM

3,051 posts, read 11,596,301 times
The Historic Plains Hotel in Cheyenne is supposedly haunted. According to an article I read earlier today, it is haunted by the ghost of a visitor that was thrown out of a 4th floor window.

This is the link to the article I was reading:
Lincon Highway-Wyoming

Old 12-13-2008, 06:54 AM

1,047 posts, read 2,786,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JenniferPinedale View Post
My teen is a budding ghost hunter. Do yall have any suggestions for haunted hotels or ghost towns in WY that we should visit? Thanks!
What fun to know I am not the only "ghost hunter"!! The problem I have is that all the info I gathered is in Wyoming and I am not! I won't be back there until Spring.

There is an old ghost town in the middle area of the state I remember. There is also an abandoned town off I-80. It is very odd to go there. Goggle or use any search engine for ghost towns in Wyoming and you should get a starting place. There are several places in the state. Good hunting!

Old 12-13-2008, 08:56 AM

215 posts, read 668,232 times
I have heard that the Sheridan Inn here in Sheridan is supposely haunted and also Old Faithful Inn in Yellowstone. There is a good book on the haunted places in Wyoming written by a lady that lives or lived in Powell. I think it is Ghost on the Range. I have read it and quite enjoyed it. Names several places thourghout Wyoming that have had activity. It is something I find quite interesting and would love to the guys from Ghosthunter on TV visit Wyoming. I think TAPS would find some interesting things here.

Old 12-13-2008, 09:34 AM

2,007 posts, read 6,834,575 times
I can personally attest to this...
In August of 1977 some friends and I went to the old cemetary north of highway 80 outside of Greenriver,Wy. I don't remember exactly where it is. Maybe someone else can help. In a Ghost Hunter group of three girls and two guys.
One night we took one of those cassette tape players that was portable. We were placing it on what looked like older headstones and with it turned on we asked questions. Other than the usual cemetary feeling nothing much happened. Except for one vehicle. We parked them side by side when we got there. And when we got back to them, one was about 30 feet to one side! Still in gear though. We should have seen or heard it move, but didn't. I was mainly there because one of the girls in the group was a extra "hottie" and I wanted to be there to impress her.
We didn't play the tape until we were on our way back to Rocksprings, we found five or six voices out of the one hour and twent minutes of tapeing that we could hear well. The two voices I still remember
One voice was a man with a accent of some kind, he said "GO AWAY NOW!" twice.
The second was a small girl like voice saying "HELP ME, I'M COLD".
Over the next few years I also heard tapes they made from cemetaries at Cody, Cheyenne,Rawlins and Deadwood,SD. I didn't persue this much but I did it for the girl anyway,ha,ha..
I havent kept in touch with any of them. But do expect to have the tapes show up on some tv show sometime.

Old 12-13-2008, 01:06 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,246,230 times
There is, or was a couple years ago, a Sheridan-based group called "Ghost Hunters of Wyoming" that investigate the supernatural. They were here in Gillette to attend an annual "ghost walk" in some of the older downtown buildings -- bars, hotels and the original jail. The group included Kevin Bennage and his team - Vanessa Bennage, Ryan Grotti and April Blommel. (I got this from the 10/06/06 Gillette News-Record.)

There are some interesting old ghost towns near Lander -- South Pass City, Atlantic City and several others. Google "Wyoming Ghost Towns" for a list. I don't know that you'll find any ghosts, but it can be an interesting history lesson, and you'll find some cool places to take pictures.

I took these about 12 years ago at one of them....

Old 12-14-2008, 03:09 PM

1,393 posts, read 3,175,226 times
Great photos WyoNewk! Where exactly were they taken? They look like they are in a lot of trees and I don't recall so many around south pass. Neat though.

Old 12-14-2008, 05:43 PM

Froggie Leggs, I believe it was Miners Delight, one of three gold mining towns in the same general area of Fremont County, the other two being South Pass City and Atlantic City. Apparently it was first called Hamilton City, but the name was changed early on (1868?).

Some of the buildings were reinforced in recent years by the BLM to keep them standing, but no "improvements" have been made. I'd guess there are half a dozen log buildings still standing, left from about 30 in its heyday.

In Googling to answer your question I came upon some interesting information about it.
"Miners Delight claims two famous residents -- Henry Tompkins Paige Comstock, who would later discover the famous Comstock Lode in Nevada, and Calamity Jane. Born Martha Jane Canary, she was orphaned and adopted at a young age. As a girl, she moved with her new parents to Miners Delight. Later, she was said to have "serviced" the miners in both Atlantic City and Miners Delight, before making her way to other mining camps, including Deadwood, South Dakota." Source: Miner's Delight, Wyoming - Tumbling in the Forest

Old 12-14-2008, 07:39 PM

1,393 posts, read 3,175,226 times
Wow, interesting info! Thanks for posting it. Didn't know Calamity Jane was adopted either... I need to get some of the photos I took around Atlantic and South Pass cities (funny that those little towns are called cities) one of these days.

Are people allowed to go exploring some of those abandoned sites with metal detectors or does one need a permit first>?

Old 12-14-2008, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Froggie Legs View Post
Are people allowed to go exploring some of those abandoned sites with metal detectors or does one need a permit first>?
I don't believe it's allowed, but I'm not positive. I remember seeing a bit of "trash" from days long past; I took some pictures and left it for others to enjoy.

There's also a cemetery, as I recall.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming