Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties
 [Register]
York and Lancaster Counties Rock Hill - Fort Mill - York - Tega Cay - Lancaster
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-04-2013, 06:31 PM

351 posts, read 656,893 times

Advertisements

Hubby works in Charlotte, I work in Rock Hill. I use tax software and we had to file state returns in both states. I thought if you live in SC you could get a credit for what you paid in NC (nc taxes higher than sc) and apply that to what you would've paid in SC. Did we do something wrong?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2013, 05:52 AM

218 posts, read 523,407 times
That is exactly the case. Not sure how it works with the computer software. I work in NC, wife in SC. I file NC for my taxes and then I get a credit for taxes paid to another state when I file my SC return. I don't remember the exact form to fill out but it's there somewhere in the SC book. Usually works out greatly in our benefit. You can find it online.

Old 02-05-2013, 08:27 AM

So, are you filing for both states then? Because I didn't like that I had to pay 2 filing fees, plus I can only e-file in one state, so I'm having to mail in the NC return. And to be charged a $14.95 filing fee for mailing in a paper return.

Old 02-05-2013, 11:09 AM

3,365 posts, read 10,027,266 times
Personally I would find a better software, I know several people who e-file both.

Old 02-05-2013, 03:54 PM

Talked to my boss today who is a CPA and he said yes, you have to file in both states. And basically I'm paying $14.95 to print off the return, which he said is the norm with tax software.

Old 02-05-2013, 06:35 PM

2,364 posts, read 4,874,740 times
That's odd because our CPA e-filed both states last year (of course now I wish he/we hadn't e-filed ANY to SC!). I worked in NC and we live in SC. The year before I used TurboTax and e-filed both NC and SC as well. And yes, you get SC credit for taxes paid in NC, and you get NC credit for taxes paid in SC. Basically the state where you made the money gets to keep the taxes.

And to top it all off, my husband still works 2 weeks per month up in PA, so we get to pay that state as well and get SC credit for that as well. Except that their form is SOOO easy that I do it manually and mail it in. No e-file fee and no CPA or tax software charge!

Old 02-06-2013, 05:16 AM

218 posts, read 523,407 times
You'd be better off doing it the old fashion way...by hand. The state returns are fairly straight forward and simple, better than paying another $15 bucks.

Old 02-06-2013, 01:01 PM

595 posts, read 1,623,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gapeach69 View Post
Hubby works in Charlotte, I work in Rock Hill. I use tax software and we had to file state returns in both states. I thought if you live in SC you could get a credit for what you paid in NC (nc taxes higher than sc) and apply that to what you would've paid in SC. Did we do something wrong?
You will have to file taxes in both states. There is no way around it.
You will get a credit for taxes paid in NC, but you still need to file SC taxes to get that credit.

Old 02-07-2013, 02:29 PM

197 posts, read 278,744 times
I work in NC, live in SC. I usually get a nice refund from NC and still owe to SC (usually a small amount). I typically efile NC and then mail the SC one... reason being: 1. i owe money to them so i'm in no hurry 2. the tax is usually less than e-file fee anyway (depending on use tax), and 3. obviously S.C. cannot be trusted to keep their efile records away from hackers

Old 02-09-2013, 11:17 PM

31 posts, read 43,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phareous View Post
I work in NC, live in SC. I usually get a nice refund from NC and still owe to SC (usually a small amount). I typically efile NC and then mail the SC one... reason being: 1. i owe money to them so i'm in no hurry 2. the tax is usually less than e-file fee anyway (depending on use tax), and 3. obviously S.C. cannot be trusted to keep their efile records away from hackers
Yep, this is exactly our scenario. I really encourage mailing the SC return in if you owe. Last year I provided my bank account for them to withdrawal the amount. 1) they didn't do it (luckily I was on top of things and found out!) and 2) they were hacked!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties