Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties
 [Register]
York and Lancaster Counties Rock Hill - Fort Mill - York - Tega Cay - Lancaster
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-28-2014, 11:46 AM

279 posts, read 544,879 times

Advertisements

I bought a house on a crawl space - all previous homes have been a slabs. I keep finding conflicting info about opening or closing the vents. Any ideas here?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2014, 01:38 PM

31 posts, read 43,586 times
I never could figure out that either but with this house, the crawl was moldy and very humid so they sealed them all up and put in a dehumidifier.

Old 04-28-2014, 10:43 PM

1,218 posts, read 2,991,831 times
I was told to leave them open. It lets the air flow through the attic space. I was told it doesnt make the house any cooler or warmer as long as its well insulated.

Old 04-29-2014, 05:22 AM

135 posts, read 195,634 times
Open! The goal of the vents is to provide cross ventilation and keep the moisture levels down. The only time it is recommended that you close them is during extreme cold...which frankly is so rare and short lived here that even then it's not worth the trouble of closing them.

Old 04-30-2014, 05:45 PM

76 posts, read 158,925 times
Yep -- leave them open! Old school was to open and close them depending on weather and humidity, but it is now recognized that ventilation helps keep a crawlspace healthy. A couple other tips -- make sure you have a vapor barrier (the plastic sheeting on the ground) to keep moisture from getting to your framework and monitor (i know -- going down there can be yuck) for water. Standing or flowing water in crawlspace means a disaster for your home later. Early detection and correction can mean everything. eyespyinspections.net

Old 05-01-2014, 10:04 AM

182 posts, read 332,028 times
Closed.

The common wisdom of keeping them open in summer (and closed in the winter) is wrong.

http://www.crawlspaces.org/

Old 05-01-2014, 12:32 PM

135 posts, read 195,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuke64 View Post
Closed.

The common wisdom of keeping them open in summer (and closed in the winter) is wrong.

http://www.crawlspaces.org/
Nuke - read the page you sent fully. It is all about DESIGNING sealed crawlspaces. i.e. built differently than 98% of the crawl spaces out there and different than the OP's. They don't have vents. It isn't saying close the vents on your vented crawlspace.

The recommendation to keep them open stands. If you are building a new home, or can afford to convert yours to a sealed crawlspace, that it the better design, but you can't just close your vents.

Old 05-01-2014, 02:40 PM

10,113 posts, read 10,972,302 times
We keep ours open all year. Our exterminator covered the ground under our house with the vinyl sheeting. It's important to keep that area dry and the ventilation from the vents helps. Our weather doesn't get cold enough to make it necessary to close the vents.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties