View Single Post

Old 10-07-2009, 12:25 PM
diorgirl

3,814 posts, read 11,977,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marycotter5678 View Post
I was laid off from my job about a year ago during a mass lay off and have not been able to find a new one. I am collecting unemployment in NJ. I tried to claim my benefits today, as usual, on the internet and it informed me that I cannot file online and need to file by telephone. So I filed by telephone as usual and at the end of the filing process the robot voice informs me that "Your claim is not payable at this time. Credit will be issued for the weeks you just filed". I am not sure if this has anythign to do with it but last week was my 1-year mark an thats the week that I was trying to claim for when I got this message. I know I still have some money left in benefits because they gave me some extension...
I am trying to get answers but cannot get through to any of the #s - I guess too many callers.
Does this mean they stopped my benefits dead in the tracks like that? Without even informing me prior to this???
I don't know what to do.. I am so worried right now.. =/
At the one-year anniversary of your original claim, it is necessary to reinstate your claim. It is routine -- but until you do it, you will receive credit for your weeks of unemployment but no check.

To reinstate, you have to call your local unemployment number -- and you must speak to a person. You cannot do this automatically through the system by telephone or on line.

Explain to the rep that you are at the one-year anniversary of your claim, and you need to reinstate that claim. The rep can make the necessary adjustment in the system -- which is effective immediately -- and you will be sent the payments you have accumulated. BTW, in the event that you can't get through on your phone, the phones at your local unemployment office have direct lines to the reps. It might be worthwhile to stop by the office and use one of their direct lines -- you may still be put on hold, but the wait could be much shorter.

When you do call, be certain that the rep understands that you are reinstating you original claim -- and that you are not opening a new claim. Sometimes the reps open a new claim in one's name by mistake -- and that will have to be adjusted further down the road. It can also wreak havoc on your eligibility for extensions.

Good luck!