View Single Post

Old 03-24-2013, 12:55 PM
Fuselage

1,519 posts, read 1,228,452 times
Default Despicable Liberals?

Most people would probably consider me a liberal, or perhaps a progressive, although I would probably (and begrudgingly) admit that age has made me a bit more conservative in regard to some issues (e.g., gun control, death penalty). In the past, I have had many a contentious exchange with conservatives - not surprising, considering the often polarized nature of various viewpoints.

While some of these discussions have been heated, by and large, they have stayed on topic. For the most part, I do not remember any name-calling or anyone making low-class personal jabs. I will say that I am aware of a certain recency bias nor did I keep a written record. Thus, I can not make a definitive assessment but must simply voice my impressions.

I have also repeatedly read complaints from conservatives that a frequent liberal approach to dealing with opposing opinions is to resort to personal attacks. For the most part, I considered these complaints mere exaggeration or thought that such tactics are fair game since I assumed that both "sides" engaged in this activity. I am sure I have done my share of it as well but when I have done this to conservatives, I don't think I ever received a personal insult in return.

That said, I can wholeheartedly proclaim to conservatives that I feel your annoyance with some liberals. I have been able to post a few responses over the last few weeks that quickly elicited the very personal and emotional attacks that you complain about.

Not only were these attacks completely unwarranted, but they were overly rude, tried to attack my emotions, and were aimed at insulting me. Sweeping negative judgements were passed about my person, my mental well-being, my reasoning abilities, my right to live, my professional capabilities, my right to procreate, etc. This is in stark contrast to attacks on an opinion, perception, or interpretation of events. In short, the responses posted by these "liberals" were absolutely despicable.

Last edited by Fuselage; 03-24-2013 at 01:21 PM..