View Single Post

Old 11-02-2016, 06:43 PM
Katzpur

28,099 posts, read 29,986,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chanokh View Post
Because it is? There's degrees of severity of the punishment in hell, and degrees of the glory of our reward in heaven. That's indeed part of the judgment.
I am intentionally going to respond to this post before I respond to your earlier one. This is because you have made a very critical observation, and that is that there are differences in the degrees of glory of our reward in Heaven. (I'm not going to even discuss your belief that there are also differences in degrees of severity of punishment in Hell, because for the time being at least, Heaven's enough for us to deal with. )

I'm going to be totally honest with you and tell you that never before have I heard a non-Mormon say that they believe there are different degrees of heavenly glory. I'm glad to hear you say that, because I suspect the fact that you believe this will make it easier for you to understand the LDS doctrine on this subject.

Mormon theology definitely teaches that there is more than one degree of heavenly glory. Paul's comments on the resurrection in 1 Corinthians 15 support this concept, but additional revelation to modern-day prophets provides us with further, more specific knowledge than we get from Paul's brief remarks. He says that "There are also celestial bodies, and bodies terrestrial: but the glory of the celestial is one, and the glory of the terrestrial is another. There is one glory of the sun, and another glory of the moon, and another glory of the stars: for one star differeth from another star in glory. So also is the resurrection of the dead. I believe that there are different degrees of glory within Heaven, one like that of the stars, one like that of the moon, and another like that of the sun."

We believe that there are three main divisions of glory within Heaven, each of these referred to as a "kingdom" or a "degree of glory": The Celestial, the Terrestrial and the Telestial. These can be said to have the glory, respectively, of the sun, moon and stars. I can go into more detail concerning these if you would like me to, but for now, I'll just leave it at that -- except to say that we know through revelation from God that the Celestial Kingdom, at least, is further subdivided. It's possible that the other kingdoms or degrees of glory are, too; we just don't know for sure. We believe the highest degree of glory within the Celestial Kingdom is the Kingdom of God. It is where God the Father literally resides. Those who, by through their righteousness, commitment and faithfulness to the Lord will also reside -- in God's company and in the company of their families. These are the individuals who are said to be given "Eternal Life."

We believe there to be a difference between immortality and eternal life. Because of Jesus the Christ, we will all experience immortality. We will all be resurrected. Eternal life, in LDS theology, is immortality in God's presence, with the added, unimaginably wonderful gift of eternal progression. So does this mean that those who do not attain "eternal life in the Celestial Kingdom" aren't with God at all? Essentially, yes. They will live as immortal beings in either terrestrial or telestial glory. Their continued existence will be marvelous beyond what any of us can presently even begin to comprehend. But when we are told that there will be "few" who will find the narrow way that leads to eternal life, we don't believe that means that "few" will go to Heaven, only that "few" will be exalted and have eternal life in the Kingdom of God, His "Celestial Kingdom." That is entirely consistent with what the Bible has to say. It's just that the Bible doesn't clarity that "eternal life" is what we should all be seeking for as opposed to a lesser degree of glory.

Quote:
But the most important thing for most people living in this world is, are they even going to heaven? And on the basis of what will God allow them to enter in? Are their sins truly forgiven? And why? You would be surprised of the amount of people that hold distorted and unbiblical views on heaven and hell, and more than 150,000 people die every day, many of whom perish because they didn't repent from their sin and believe in Jesus Christ for their salvation.
Once again, to you, any view that doesn't mirror yours is "unbiblical." As you have probably figured our from your relatively short time here on City-Data, there are many, many Christians who believe what the Bible has to say but who interpret it differently than you do. This is a concept that simply continues to elude you.

Quote:
Eternal reward is amazing, yet I would gladly be one of the "few" that enter in through the narrow gate and find eternal life, even if I have to be the very least in the Kingdom, as long as I go there! But most people won't go there according to the Scriptures, so that should be the primary concern.
If you enter in through the narrow gate and find eternal life, you won't be among the very least in the Kingdom. Those two things are mutually exclusive, as the "very least" of those who are saved will enjoy eternity in the Telestial Kingdom.

By the way, I haven't had a chance to post today until now, and I can already anticipate some of your questions and comments and, yes, criticisms of my beliefs. If you wouldn't mind, I'd appreciate it if you could hold off on your response until I have had a chance to get to your earlier post.

Last edited by mensaguy; 11-03-2016 at 04:23 AM.. Reason: Fixed typo (on request)