Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > Administration Zone > About the Forum
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2007, 12:24 AM

3,177 posts, read 2,745,029 times

Advertisements

Newly registered users are now shown a message directing them to do a search first before posting new threads. This was done to reduce duplication in topics, which became frustrating to some of our senior members. We will add even more such messages soon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2007, 01:29 AM

122 posts, read 393,276 times
Whenever I post in a forum it's because I can't find the information myself. Usually I've spent hours just trying to find something, anything to answer my question, I'm too frustrated to search anymore, and I just need some help.

I understand the frustration of people who've answered the same question a dozen times, too. I've been on that end as well.

I've seen a lot of threads here where people are tired of answering the same question, but I think instead of telling people, "Look it up yourself", it would be better if they just posted links to the most relevant threads. I've seen times where people have done that, and it's been really helpful.

A FAQ section might also be useful.

Old 06-28-2007, 11:40 AM

1,307 posts, read 5,505,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CandyApple View Post
... it would be better if they just posted links to the most relevant threads. I've seen times where people have done that, and it's been really helpful.
I agree that is helpful, and I've been tempted to do it. But, I think about the fact that I don't remember where those relevant threads are any longer, and would have to do a search myself, then read the thread to see if it was the correct one, then copy and paste the link, which usually means having two browser pages open, then explain the link to the new user...and it's exhausting just thinking about it. It's easier to just tell them to search. I often include a little primer on how to search. It would be really helpful if there was a sticky message somewhere that explains how to search, then all I have to do is refer to those instructions and suggest a keyword for the search.

I almost always add that if the search does not yield the results they want, I welcome them to come back and ask again and I will get more specific. So far, no one has ever done that, so the search must be working for them.

Old 06-28-2007, 11:51 AM

8,954 posts, read 4,271,729 times
OldTimer, if you write a coherent instruction on how to use the search function, I'll move this post permanently to FAQ. Not that a lot of people read it, anyway, but it would sit there and we could just give people links to it.

Old 06-28-2007, 12:14 PM

3,574 posts, read 14,344,765 times
Thank you Thank you Thank you

Old 06-28-2007, 01:39 PM

3,295 posts, read 9,189,032 times
Part of the problem is the way vbulletin has redone the search feature at it's end. It's not quite as user friendly as it use to be. Liz

Old 06-29-2007, 08:06 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
I absolutely think people should be advised to search, especially for stuff like "what is the weather like in City X"? Also mileages, (as opposed to drive times) should be searched on mapquest, instead of asking how far is it from Point A to Point B? IMO

Old 06-30-2007, 04:25 AM

17,833 posts, read 33,122,669 times
I think this is a terrific idea. !!!
I often though, wouldn't it be great if at the top of each forum along with the user facts,maps sticky and the play nice with others sticky they could add a search before you post sticky announcment
that way it would be a "in your face" kind of reminder.
karla

Old 07-02-2007, 05:35 AM

8,954 posts, read 4,271,729 times
Many thanks to pslOldTimer: //www.city-data.com/forum/faq/1...-new-post.html

Old 07-02-2007, 05:38 AM

3,295 posts, read 9,189,032 times
He did an excellent job explaining that. Liz
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > Administration Zone > About the Forum