Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > Administration Zone > About the Forum
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-23-2011, 01:52 PM

15,590 posts, read 15,680,999 times

Advertisements

I'm frequently finding that the system refuses to allow me to add a rating point, or just now, refuses to let me do a commentary rating. Just now, it claimed that I have to "spread" ratings, although I had done no other ratings at all, and not to this person at all. The system seems to keep imagining that I've been adding points when I haven't. Anything I can do about it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2011, 02:01 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,120,287 times
The "spread it around" requirement keeps track of the last 20-some reps that you've given and won't let you give rep to any of those members again. Is it possible that you give rep so infrequently that you've just forgotten about those reps around 20 back that you issued a few months ago?

If not, I'm fairly sure that either of the senior mods can tell you who the last 30 recipients of rep from you were.

Old 02-23-2011, 02:04 PM

6,476 posts, read 7,324,646 times
Just a suggestion, but maybe those last 20 reps should have expiration dates. It makes little sense that, should someone impress me a month from now, that I can't pat 'em on the back. I realize the idea is to prevent 'mutual assist societies' from popping up, but non-expiring reps may be taking it a little too far, no?

Old 02-23-2011, 02:08 PM

8,323 posts, read 15,173,018 times
Just give reps to other posters who impress you and you'll be able to rep that person again. Surely there are more than 20 posters on City-Data who've said something that you felt was well-written, well-versed, knowledgeable, and the likes.

Old 02-23-2011, 02:14 PM

5,545 posts, read 2,037,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavaturaccioli View Post
Just a suggestion, but maybe those last 20 reps should have expiration dates. It makes little sense that, should someone impress me a month from now, that I can't pat 'em on the back. I realize the idea is to prevent 'mutual assist societies' from popping up, but non-expiring reps may be taking it a little too far, no?
I have owned and managed a forum for several years utilizing vBulletin in the past, and I can state that there isn't currently a feature in the Administration panel under the User Reputation settings that enables you to have expiration dates for reputation. The User Reputation system itself does offer a variety of features, such as register date factor, post count factor, reputation count factor, daily reputation clicks limit, etc.

To answer Cida's original question, as Bo explained, the reputation user spread feature in vBulletin is a setting customized by the administrator that controls the number of users you must give reputation to before giving it to the same user again.

Old 02-24-2011, 12:44 PM

Thanks, guys, but I'm stunned. That seems nuts to keep track indefinitely of so many past ratings. I suppose it's fine for someone who mindlessly pluses people right and left, but I only do it judiciously, not often, and since I'm mostly in the NYC forum, presumably it's a pretty small pool of regulars. I don't keep in my head who I've plussed, but it seem reasonable to guess that one or two posters might be smart, sensible people who deserve to have their rating boosted, and I may repeatedly like their answers over time. It seems like a bad policy to hedge ratings in like that.

I appreciate the information, though.

Old 02-24-2011, 12:55 PM

8,954 posts, read 4,272,063 times
I'm sorry but it looks like you're not our typical user. The system is designed for an average member so I'm afraid we can't tweak it to your needs.

Perhaps we could invite you to participate in our general forums, then?

Old 02-27-2011, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marka View Post
I'm sorry but it looks like you're not our typical user. The system is designed for an average member so I'm afraid we can't tweak it to your needs.

Perhaps we could invite you to participate in our general forums, then?

Marka, that's fascinating that there's an idea of the "typical" member - and that I'm not it! I certainly wouldn't expect anyone to tweak anything specifically to my needs, but maybe every so often the site overlords could re-evaluate things. It sounds like the current set-up encourages people to reward kind of indiscriminately, instead of the plus being really meaningful. But that goes a long way toward explaining why some people have astronomical ratings! I like the suggestion that maybe there should be an expiration date, so maybe after, say, 30 days or 60 days, you'd have a clean slate for rating again.

Old 02-27-2011, 12:41 PM

8,954 posts, read 4,272,063 times
I actually like the idea of expiration date, sounds interesting. Unfortunately, we'd have to write a program to do it. And I'm afraid our programmers have other projects.

Old 02-28-2011, 11:47 AM

5,545 posts, read 2,037,528 times
Cida, you can always submit a feature suggestion to vBulletin directly. Hope that helps.

Last edited by Photography; 02-28-2011 at 12:08 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > Administration Zone > About the Forum