Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > Administration Zone > About the Forum
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2011, 09:29 PM

7,284 posts, read 12,922,650 times

Advertisements

I wish the Relationship thread:

• Could be retitled Family Thread or Psychology or Sociology Thread (to create a place for more sophisticated discussion)
  • Had Each Post Prefaced with 18-25, 26-50 or Over 50 (because it seems so many of the posts are about the dating issues of teenagers or extremely young and immature adults . . .it is tedious to click on thread after thread and hear someone whining about why they can't get a date, the guy who just dumped them or whatever . . .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2011, 12:11 AM

44,348 posts, read 20,051,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imcurious View Post
I wish the Relationship thread:

• Could be retitled Family Thread or Psychology or Sociology Thread (to create a place for more sophisticated discussion)
  • Had Each Post Prefaced with 18-25, 26-50 or Over 50 (because it seems so many of the posts are about the dating issues of teenagers or extremely young and immature adults . . .it is tedious to click on thread after thread and hear someone whining about why they can't get a date, the guy who just dumped them or whatever . . .
I understand what you mean, but I can't see it happening. You can tell from the titles of many of the threads whether they're going to have a less mature, sophomoric audience. If you want to start some new discussions for older audiences, you could include your preferred age group in the thread title.
Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Non-romantic Relationships, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.

Old 12-19-2011, 04:25 PM

8,954 posts, read 20,675,409 times
Since human relationships are all about emotions I don't know if there is a good way to separate all the various age groups and their age related needs.

Then there is the anonymity of the internet that makes it tough to gage the audience or the person posting.

I've tripped up on both of these problems a time or two when I responded.......

Old 12-26-2011, 12:44 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,019,531 times
What about breaking the relationship forum into subforums such as:

Friendship
Dating
Divorce
Marriage
Inlaws (LOL)

This way people will fit more naturally into a certain subforum regardless of their ages.

I think subforums like these would help tone down the ongoing contention of the relationship forum.

Old 12-26-2011, 03:29 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,020,182 times
I can certainly see the OP's point and a name change for the forum could be in order. The Relationships forum does seem to attract more of a younger or socially immature crowd.

I think it might be beneficial to simply change the name of the forum from "Relationships" to something like "Family / Social Relationships" or else "Social Dynamics". That would indicate that the forum covers a broader range of topics about societal dynamics and demographics. There is only one other forum on the board that's about family dynamics and that's the Parenting board which only qualifies for discussions about children and parenting situations.

Sub-forums for different categories of topic might be helpful but it may also create more work for the moderator, and it need not be necessary. The topic titles generally already give a very good idea of what each topic is about and when one hovers the cursor over a topic title you get that little window pops up where you can read the first couple of sentences to see a fuller explanation of what the topic is really about. So an OP could put right in their opening sentence that it's related to Friendship, Dating, Divorce, Marriage, Inlaws, Family, Employers, Co-workers, etc.

Old 12-27-2011, 07:45 AM

2,657 posts, read 8,030,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post

Friendship
Dating
Divorce
Marriage
Inlaws (LOL)

That worked well for many years on the Miss Manners forum.

While something like "Social Dynamics" might work on a more formal, scholarly board, people here are just a bunch of posters wanting to *** Informal terms would probably be more attractive.

Old 12-27-2011, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
I think it might be beneficial to simply change the name of the forum from "Relationships" to something like "Family / Social Relationships" or else "Social Dynamics". That would indicate that the forum covers a broader range of topics about societal dynamics and demographics. There is only one other forum on the board that's about family dynamics and that's the Parenting board which only qualifies for discussions about children and parenting situations.
Being an active participant of the parenting forum, I'll attest to the fact that many relationship issues get posted there simply because there isn't an appropriate crowd for mature responses in the relationship forum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
Sub-forums for different categories of topic might be helpful but it may also create more work for the moderator, and it need not be necessary. The topic titles generally already give a very good idea of what each topic is about and when one hovers the cursor over a topic title you get that little window pops up where you can read the first couple of sentences to see a fuller explanation of what the topic is really about. So an OP could put right in their opening sentence that it's related to Friendship, Dating, Divorce, Marriage, Inlaws, Family, Employers, Co-workers, etc.
This made me chuckle! Enforcing dictated thread title guidelines would be much more work on moderators than extra subforums. I was an administrator of a very large debate site. I made all sorts of mistakes like that in my early years. Extra forums don't really create more work in the beginnng. It's not a "if you build it, they will come" sort of venture. Some forums take off, some never do. It's best to slowly add subforums, like CD already does for many of the main forum headings.

Old 12-27-2011, 11:55 AM

27,957 posts, read 39,764,451 times
Would subdividing the forum mitigate the issues? Inept is inept. Inept or immature seems to be the crux of the issue in the relationship section. Or what most of the discussions are based on.

I have a heavy handed solution to remedy it. I do think that some subdivisions might be prudent. It seems the discussions run in cycles.

Old 12-27-2011, 08:19 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,143,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
What about people never participating on a given forum refraining for suggestions about changes on it?!

Old 12-27-2011, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
What about people never participating on a given forum refraining for suggestions about changes on it?!
The point of the this thread is that a segment of participates are driving other people away. That's how my input is relevant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > Administration Zone > About the Forum