Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > Administration Zone > About the Forum
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-17-2012, 05:14 PM

11,431 posts, read 19,035,872 times

Advertisements

i.e., Does the moderator of Religion have a religious background or religious bent? Is a Utah or Deep South moderator a fire breathing social conservative?
Does a history moderator have a good deal of interest in history? Do any of the moderators choose which thread that they wish to moderate or are they given the choice? As an example, there was a moderator from San Francisco who was pretty progressive, but the one that moderated Utah thread was the polar opposite.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2012, 05:19 PM

31,304 posts, read 32,939,664 times
I kinda wondered the same things at times

Old 05-17-2012, 07:33 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,142,197 times
It's a mixed bag. We try and cover everything we can.

Some mods can put in a lot of time and have several forums to moderate, where as, some mods can only put in a little time, so they take care of what they can, maybe one or two forums and possibly co-mod a couple others.

In some cases, mods get lucky and when they are selected as a mod, their favorite subject is available. In other cases, a mod may take care of 4 or 5 Forums that they have nothing in common with.

But it really should make no difference as far as modding is concerned. A mod looks for violations of the TOS and takes care of them. In the cases where a mod is modding the area they want, they may get involved with the discussions more so than other forums.

When I started, I modded several areas for almost a year and a half before a Forum come available that I really wanted. I have also seen mods selected for a forum, from within that forum.

So, like I said, a mixed bag.

Old 05-17-2012, 08:12 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,880,399 times
Here is the list of moderators and their assignments:
Moderator List

Old 05-21-2012, 02:24 PM

3,515 posts, read 7,800,105 times
How do moderators "get there job" are they just frequent posters that get asked if they want to be a Moderator? Or are they volunteers? Or an Advertisement in the paper? Be a Moderator! See the world! (Looking at computer screen all day) Must be willing to work long hours, for no pay and put up with people who hate you all day. Equal opportunity employer. Resume, Reference, Interview, and 6 week Moderator boot camp required. Must provide own mash mellows and hot dogs for boot camp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by makita
Any complaints about Moderators should be sent by DM to a Senior Moderator: Yac or Marka.
Complaints about Senior Moderators are to be sent to Administrator.
And complaints about the Administrator? Where do we send these? I couldn't resist, but the thread is closed.

Old 05-21-2012, 03:29 PM

44,401 posts, read 20,133,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TechGromit View Post
How do moderators "get there job" are they just frequent posters that get asked if they want to be a Moderator? Or are they volunteers? Or an Advertisement in the paper? Be a Moderator! See the world! (Looking at computer screen all day) Must be willing to work long hours, for no pay and put up with people who hate you all day. Equal opportunity employer. Resume, Reference, Interview, and 6 week Moderator boot camp required. Must provide own mash mellows and hot dogs for boot camp.

And complaints about the Administrator? Where do we send these? I couldn't resist, but the thread is closed.
Potential Moderators are approached by the senior mods and invited to join the Mod Squad, as I call it.

Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Non-romantic Relationships, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.

Old 05-21-2012, 11:30 PM

30,429 posts, read 52,064,988 times
As the other mods here already said, some of us moderate forums we're "connected with" and some of us don't! Back when I first started moderating (5+ years ago) it was still a growing site with few volunteers, so we really had our pick. Recently I rejoined the "mod squad," and now that there's more coverage I'll just take the un-moderated ones - and maybe double up on the Bay Area or CA forums. I think it makes sense to take a forum where you're familiar with the topics, discourse, etc, but we also know how to fairly moderate ANY board... just by acting on any TOS violations, and responding to the reported posts as diplomatically as possible.

And yes we are all volunteers, sad to say. I was first asked to moderate when I was regularly posting on the Politics board (back then it was combined with Religion & all other "controversial" topics), and the other members suggested me to the senior mod. This time around I actually volunteered myself, when another mod told me they were in need of help... and since I'd done it previously, they already knew I was capable and knowledgeable of the process.

Old 05-22-2012, 12:38 PM

4,918 posts, read 22,716,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
I think it makes sense to take a forum where you're familiar with the topics, discourse, etc, but we also know how to fairly moderate ANY board... just by acting on any TOS violations, and responding to the reported posts as diplomatically as possible.
That has often been the "bone of contention" that some are too close to the subject and that results in decissions based on their personal belief and position and not on just the TOS. This is just human nature that if a personal feeling is strong on a subject that the line between TOS violations and bias will be blurred, or as many have pointed out, a TOS violation is created based on that bias personal belief that is not actually there if viewed from a non bias position.

But as with everything, maturity, time and intelligence usually fixes these hic-ups for the better.
Aloha.

Old 05-25-2012, 08:30 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,174,152 times
Your favorite forum is not necessarily its moderator's favorite forum.

Moderators have assigned forums, but the assignments are voluntary. When I moderated here, I definitely spent more time reading posts in the subset of my assigned forums that were more interesting to me than the others. If you suspect your favorite forum's moderator team is not very interested in your area, the best way to help them (and make the forum more enjoyable to visit) is to report TOS violations, because those mods are probably reading fewer posts in that forum than you are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > Administration Zone > About the Forum