Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > Administration Zone > About the Forum
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-27-2012, 01:59 AM

12,969 posts, read 28,443,557 times

Advertisements

Among the little mysteries of life I've never seen anyone mention, I've noticed that when certain members leave a comment, the broad top bar at the top of their comment is shaded green on the left side. I think I've figured out all the other little icons and notations that do or do not appear on various members' posts, but I have no idea what that green highlight is for.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2012, 02:02 AM

14,520 posts, read 8,768,824 times
The green shading has to do with the 'friending' system, but I can't remember right now what is the specific meaning. Someone will come along soon with a better answer.....

ETA: I think the green shading means that the person who wrote that comment is a friend of one of your friends. And if the colour fades to white, it means the person is your friend.

Old 07-27-2012, 02:15 AM

61,728 posts, read 87,147,355 times
I think you need to take a screen shot of the "broad top bar", because I really don' know what you have in mind.
Also please check your "skin" settings for the forum. Scroll down to the bottom of the page, left and see what style did you checked - default or beige. Maybe your settings have something to do with the colors you see...

Old 07-27-2012, 05:13 AM

11,151 posts, read 15,836,462 times
This has to do with "friendship". Here's a recent discussion on the same question and, best I can tell, the green shading means the comment was posted either by one of the members on your Friends list or by a Friend of one of your Friends.

Old 07-27-2012, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark of the Moon View Post
This has to do with "friendship". Here's a recent discussion on the same question and, best I can tell, the green shading means the comment was posted either by one of the members on your Friends list or by a Friend of one of your Friends.
OK, thanks DM, I think we may have part of the puzzle now... it's some kind of socialization widgit. It only appears occasionally, on specific posts, and yes I can see that it has something to do with friendship. The person I first noticed it on is a friend of a friend, so the normal "befriend" link on her posts has expanded to say "friend of JoeShmoe - befriend," and JoeShmoe is a friend of mine, and her posts often display that green highlight. And of course you would not see that highlight if I directed you to her post because you are not a friend of JoeShmoe.

But wait, that isn't the whole answer, because some of the time all her posts are highlighted with the green shading, and sometimes, like now, they're not. Hmmmmm.

OK, I wonder if this is it... it's the wee hours where she lives, so she's probably not logged in at the moment. And wouldn't you know, I can't find anyone else with that green shading at the moment, but then again, I haven't bothered to befriend a lot of folks on this forum, and I log in at random times due to strange work and sleep cycles. I wonder if somehow that green shading is also connected to them being logged in at the moment I view the post?

Obviously not a serious concern, but intriguing nonetheless.

Old 07-27-2012, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
OK, thanks DM, I think we may have part of the puzzle now... it's some kind of socialization widgit. It only appears occasionally, on specific posts, and yes I can see that it has something to do with friendship. ...

... I wonder if somehow that green shading is also connected to them being logged in at the moment I view the post?
OK, this does seem to be the answer. I was able to confirm today that a friend of one of my friends had no green highlight on her posts early in the day, but once she logged in the green highlight appeared.

I guess it's meant to encourage you to befriend friends of your friends.

Old 07-28-2012, 04:50 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,315,210 times
A related issue concerning the green, some posters have their user names and related info shaded yellow/green, Macarinas post 2 as an example,, does that signify something?

Old 07-28-2012, 10:09 AM

8,954 posts, read 4,271,729 times
That's the same thing, you're only describing it deferently. The green/gray shading is for your friends. I don't see anything on Macrina's post because I'm not using this feature. You must have some mutual friends.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > Administration Zone > About the Forum