Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > Administration Zone > About the Forum
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-23-2013, 11:12 PM

159 posts, read 491,884 times

Advertisements

https://www.city-data.com/

I'm hoping this is the right board for this, and I'm not sure if this has been brought to attention here before, but I found this map to be strange. Obviously, some of the statistics seem to be wrong. So I clicked on some of the states just to see the demographics and other information about them, and I noticed the stats about cultural and ethnic groups were very far off.

It says California is 0.8% Asian and 13.1% Hispanic. New York State is 0.4% Asian and 7.4% Hispanic. Anyone who has been to CA or NY would know these statistics would not seem true, and the US Census 2010 (2010 Census Population Profile Maps and other sources) say that in 2010, that California is 13% Asian, 39% Hispanic, and New York State being 7% Asian and 17% Hispanic. 13% and 0.8% are a pretty big difference, and I'm pretty confused as to how they ended up with this statistic. CA and NY have not been under one percent Asian for decades. It also said Los Angeles County is 0.7% Asian...

The City Data map says that the data is from 2005-2010 so it was an estimate of the population of people from these states, but the percentage of Asians in the these states are literally 10 times lower than what the 2010 Census data says, and I found that to be strange. However, I found that the data on the percentage of white and African American residents to be very similar with the US Census 2010 data, so that's good. Also, information on median household income, median age, and and unemployment rate were fairly similar to the 2010 information, so fortunately most of this map's information seems to be as accurate as possible.

But maybe they could fix or update this map. I think most of the information is good but for some reason I just felt like they intentionally tried to lie about the Asian and Hispanic population being that low, because they want to ignore the cultural influence of us in America. I hope not though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2013, 11:53 PM

630 posts, read 1,266,528 times
yeah that info isn't right at all. Hope someone updates it
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > Administration Zone > About the Forum