Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > Administration Zone > About the Forum
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-06-2007, 05:15 PM

4,834 posts, read 6,122,761 times

Advertisements

In my travels through these forums I happened across a post about someone in Charlotte being rather insulting to those in Raleigh. He originated the post. What caught my eye was the fact that this poster's point tally was -1. I can see where we all can disagree with everyone else but shouldn't good manners prevail? Just a thought as I am not looking to penalize that poster
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2007, 05:26 PM

32,617 posts, read 77,624,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikey_NC View Post
In my travels through these forums I happened across a post about someone in Charlotte being rather insulting to those in Raleigh. He originated the post. What caught my eye was the fact that this poster's point tally was -1. I can see where we all can disagree with everyone else but shouldn't good manners prevail? Just a thought as I am not looking to penalize that poster
A lot of people abuse the negative reputation system. I myself have found that folks in New Jersey hand them out like candy if you post anything at all that they don't agree with, even if you try to voice your dissent respectfully. According to the terms of service, you can not detract from someone's reputation merely because you disagree with the poster's opinions, nor can you flag a thread or reply for removal or review for that same reason. I don't spend much time on the NC forum (although I've recently taken a keen liking to the SC one), so I'm unfamiliar with these circumstances, but if this member lost 11 rep points from his initial starting point of +10 just because people disagreed with his views, then that is something that should be investigated. If this member was "trolling," which more or less means that he or she was intentionally posting things in order to incite fighting, or if this member was being rude, nasty, or harassing others, then I could see justificatoin for the red dots. Otherwise, it sounds as if this is yet another case of people being far too lazy to post a reply to this person's message explaining why they disagreed with him or her in order to instead just give a reputation hit, which takes much less time.

Old 12-06-2007, 05:54 PM

His post was rather rude and insulting to people who live in Raleigh. I make it a point not to respond to posters like that as I see them as looking for attention. I was just curious about the negative rep thing. Thanks for the reply.

Old 12-07-2007, 01:06 AM

20,341 posts, read 19,930,346 times
I don't even bother with neg reps. Those that I might feel deserve one aren't worth the extra effort IMO.

I just move on.

Old 12-07-2007, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc1 View Post
I don't even bother with neg reps. Those that I might feel deserve one aren't worth the extra effort IMO.

I just move on.
Nice thought and let me say that I agree wholeheartedly as being negative for any reason does not suit me.

Old 12-07-2007, 02:45 PM

21,956 posts, read 24,314,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikey_NC View Post
Nice thought and let me say that I agree wholeheartedly as being negative for any reason does not suit me.
Yep...I agree. They can give 'em to me but it's not worth getting upset over if I get a neg. rep. I know in my heart that I try very hard to only state what is my personal opinion and I say so. I do not like to argue and do not like confrontation. If I don't agree with someone that's not new and it's life. I don't need to give them a neg. rep. That allows that poster to rent space in my head---and I don't have that much space left anyhow!!!

Old 12-08-2007, 06:38 PM

1,442 posts, read 6,500,653 times
I got my first negative rep since I began using the Forum over a year ago. I found out because I noticed that the rep number under my name had gone down a point.

The negative repper apparently thought my comment, in the Vermont forum, was inappropriate and said so. What was inappropriate about it? I can't ask the person, as I have no name.

I find this a bit offensive. If you don't like what someone wrote you can challenge it openly.

Why should I lose a point in my rep because someone didn't like what I said? I wasn't flaming or spamming or even off topic.

And I don't think I am allowed to post on the forum that I got penalized for something I wrote. Is this correct?

Also, I don't think people's reps are necessarily accurate. I've seen great posts by a poster who had a rep of -80.

I think it's best to use the Forum - ask and/or respond to questions - without worryng about your rep.

Old 12-08-2007, 09:46 PM

13,768 posts, read 38,202,996 times
If you feel you were given a negative rep unfairly, you can ask that it be investigated, by send a DM to a mod, Markablue or Yac. If the neg rep was not given in accordance to the Terms of Service, the neg rep will be removed and the person who sent it will have points taken away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > Administration Zone > About the Forum