Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > Administration Zone > About the Forum
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-04-2007, 08:57 AM

10,203 posts, read 27,120,494 times

Advertisements

I am wondering when you conceived of this wonderful idea of a city-data forum, one that now has 50,000-odd members, what your objectives were and whether you feel the board is meeting your objectives. And don't let me forget to congratulate you!

When I discovered the forum I was most enthralled as it is a privilege to be able to move across the country with my finger-tips rather than my whole person to see and hear about other towns, cities and now countries.

But it appears more and more we are experiencing civic lessons and not receiving geography information.

The P&oC is now both immigrant bashing and potentially exhibiting severe hatred, if not downright racism, in its broadest but boldest strokes. While you took the lead in establishing a sub-forum for immigration, the fact remains that the posts are often incendiary.

As for the State forums, here too, people are using their anonymity to vent their spleen, in any which way they please, and it is impossible for either other members and/or moderators to contain the severe distortion that unfolds as a result of these angry posts and posters.

My question is, if this was not your intent, do you have a means or foresee a means to redirect the focus of the boards, and bring them back to geography.
I believe it is one of several of the rules to "... Leave wiggle room for dialogue, others may not see things the same as you, or been there as long as you, and any one of us can be wrong. Pouncing on someone you disagree with runs contrary to the spirit of this board and its members. We are here to help each other."

It is also clear from the rules that "Hate speech, racism or bashing of ANY sort will NOT be tolerated. Rude posts will be removed and infractions issued. Do not quote or talk to trolls or your posts will also be deleted. Use the report feature instead." Unfortunately, I see more and more potential for hate speech, racism and bashing--on more than one fence and on repeated occasions.

Some of the reasons for the hate speeches, and the lack of wiggle room is the failure to uphold this rule, "Stay on topic. Attempts to hi-jack threads by switching topics or going off topic will be deleted and infractions issued."

It is not my intention to point fingers at anyone or any group, and certainly not to hold you accountable for these breaches, but I do believe that making it clearer the purpose of city-data is important. It is my contention that if these actions on the part of a few continue, they will undermine the spirit of the board and render it a place to vent and not a place to learn!

Thank you for the opportunity to express my feelings on the "About the Forum" board.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2007, 09:30 AM

8,862 posts, read 17,487,576 times
My $.02--
'on the road' makes some good points.

I mainly post in Georgia/Atlanta---lurk in California and have started posting in US and Other Forums...I have been impressed at the lack of 'Wars'--violent attacks and the need for extreme supervision from Moderators/Administrators.

My frame of reference is 'Political' forums--and at times--I thought the forums might have to shut down--'Politics/Religion'. Forum Owners took a Firm Hand on many occasions.
Haven't noticed that here--but as 'on the road' points out there seems to the potential for escalation.

I will not be involved in 'Trouble Making'--I can assure you of that. I got 'Blamed' in one incident--just like in Kindergarten. I won't participate in a forum that has that sort of Issues.

Thank you--Administrator, Moderators--we need you--I wouldn't/couldn't do this sort of job--and so on..

I have wondered and been 'afraid' to ask--is 'City-data' owned/run by WABC?

Not wanting to investigate you --the homepage just said you were mentioned by the Tech Guru--in NYC/WABC. I don't think stations in Atlanta carry this show. Certain it would be the sort of thing WSB might carry--but we get 3hrs of 'Sean'...WABC...

Thanks again--I desperately need to find out what is going on in Atlanta and GA--difficult to do that in Real Life. What with our Growth--5,000,000 people. I liked it better here at 2,000,000 around 1980--nobody listens to me.

sls

Old 02-04-2007, 09:51 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,023,398 times
I agree with most everything that ontheroad says (including the congratulations.)

In terms of what the focus or mission statement of city-data should be, I truly enjoy hearing the more nuanced, subjective opinions, politics, and state/municipal government information, along with geography.
Unfortunately, people with an axe to grind will often spout hyperbole or even just become downright ugly. Things can get chaotic and unfocused really fast, and I have really been taken aback by some of the posts in the Political forum.
It does indeed take a firm hand.
I am sure that it can be difficult to keep up with all this, and I do realize that our dear mods attend to their duties in their spare time.

Old 02-04-2007, 02:16 PM

3,177 posts, read 2,744,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhs119 View Post
I have wondered and been 'afraid' to ask--is 'City-data' owned/run by WABC?

Not wanting to investigate you --the homepage just said you were mentioned by the Tech Guru--in NYC/WABC. I don't think stations in Atlanta carry this show. Certain it would be the sort of thing WSB might carry--but we get 3hrs of 'Sean'...WABC...
We don't have any ties to WABC. City-data.com was mentioned by many other media outlets - the three on the homepage were chosen because they had full segments on the site without any solicitation on our part, not just a mention.

Old 02-04-2007, 03:01 PM

Wink Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Administrator View Post
We don't have any ties to WABC. City-data.com was mentioned by many other media outlets - the three on the homepage were chosen because they had full segments on the site without any solicitation on our part, not just a mention.
I feel that I have 'Matriculated the School of Very Hard Knocks' on the www.

Boomer--'Should' have been devoting myself to learning technology and I was busy doing other things--most of the time I am 'Clueless' online.

It is frustrating--but I try to learn from the Experiences.

I know WABC provides top notch technology. Far beyond my needs.

I seem to do better in Compuserve or at least the software works well enough that the least technically inclined can function w/o administrative assistance.

Once again, Thanks.

sls

Old 02-04-2007, 09:56 PM

2,408 posts, read 14,394,538 times
Firstly, I too would like to praise the moderators and staff of this forum for doing a terrific job.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheroad
It is also clear from the rules that "Hate speech, racism or bashing of ANY sort will NOT be tolerated. Rude posts will be removed and infractions issued. Do not quote or talk to trolls or your posts will also be deleted. Use the report feature instead." Unfortunately, I see more and more potential for hate speech, racism and bashing--on more than one fence and on repeated occasions.
I was wondering whether or not there was any sort of guidelines for racist posts on this board and was about to broach the topic myself. I've seen some posts deleted but so many remain.

My opinion on the moderation on this board has done a complete 180. I used to have faith in the posters on this site, in being grown adults, that they would behave in a mature and rational manner, be able to rationally debate without having arguments, and would be polite and receptive to opposing viewpoints. I have been proven 100% wrong. A good number of posters on this site have shown to be purely vile human beings, who are purposely inflammatory (the legendary internet trolls), antagonistic, inarticulate, and fiercely immature and proud of it. The people have shown they can't be trusted to be left to their own devices. As such, I now favor a moderators carrying a very heavy hand on this board. Censor. Delete. Ban. All of that. It's a shame that the bad apples always ruin the fun.

I should also point out that I don't find the posters, particularly the bad apples, as representative of Americans as a whole. They're representative of nothing and no one but themselves. They are an extreme vocal minority. It can be a bit of a rude awakening if you're not familiar with internet message boards to see just how disgusting some people can be, but the fact of the matter is that the internet attracts a lot of freaks, and a lot of socially awkward (for reasons made clear by their posts) people. Let's face it, someone spending hours flinging invective and ranting on a message board 24/7 rather than being at work, with loved ones, or with friends, most likely has something a bit "off" with them.

Last edited by dullnboring; 02-04-2007 at 10:24 PM..

Old 02-05-2007, 09:20 AM

Default Such is life

<I should also point out that I don't find the posters, particularly the bad apples, as representative of Americans as a whole. They're representative of nothing and no one but themselves. They are an extreme vocal minority. It can be a bit of a rude awakening if you're not familiar with internet message boards to see just how disgusting some people can be, but the fact of the matter is that the internet attracts a lot of freaks, and a lot of socially awkward (for reasons made clear by their posts) people. Let's face it, someone spending hours flinging invective and ranting on a message board 24/7 rather than being at work, with loved ones, or with friends, most likely has something a bit "off" with them.>

I know, I know, I know...
Wish that I did not know.

Almost every site has to go through this--not to mention what we go through in Real Life--pretty much the same. cough--

Hoping to avoid the threads here where 'This Sort of Thing' is going on.

From observing--Veterans of the www--most seem to just avoid the #@! as much as possible. Try to find the Adults ---

All I know to do--online or in Real Life.

I don't know--probably should research this---how long this site has been online. Things seem to be 'Working' in general--from which I infer--enormous effort has been expended. Good on you.

I wish that we could make links that you could just click. Understand why not.

another $.02 from me--FWIW.
sls
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > Administration Zone > About the Forum